Is "Clear American" Flavored Sparkling Water too good to be

Options
Over the weekend I have fallen in love with the "Clear American" brand of flavored water found in Wal-Mart. This delicious flavored water claims to have:

0 sugar
0 caffeine
0 calories
0 sodium
Natural flavors

It tastes so amazing that I'm starting to wonder if it's too good to be true? I put myself on a water-only fast last month and was excited to discover this "water" that tastes so great! But does it have any hidden ingredients that aren't really healthy, or that I should be leery about? Because at this rate, I've already gone through about 6 1-liter bottles, just since Saturday! If it's healthy as it seems, I'm ready to buy a case! If it's not, I'll go back to plain 'ol H2O.

What do you know about this flavored water? Have you tried it?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If you drink a bottle or two a day you should be fine.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Wish i could help you there, but i cant say i have heard of it.. but am intersted in it!
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It does have artificial sweetner but I drink a 33.9 ounce bottle daily. It tastes so good that it makes getting at least 4 of my 8 glasses of water in easily!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Nothing secret about it. Just read the ingredients:
    Carbonated Water, Citric Acid, Potassium Citrate, Natural Flavor, Aspartame, Potassium Benzoate (A Preservative), Acesulfame Potassium. Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. You might want to read the ingredients. :bigsmile:
  • DannieElise
    DannieElise Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank You! Seems like I need to do some research and find out what each of these ingredients are and whether or not they're healthy. Other than "carbonated water", I don't know what the other stuff is, Lol!
  • DannieElise
    Options
    I generally stay away from anything with aspartame, except for very occasionally - but honestly, I would never consume something daily (or more than once daily) that contains it. You're definitely better off drinking regular water...but, it's really a matter of how you feel about artificial sweeteners and their potential risks - some people don't care about it.

Thanks! I'm going to check out some of the risks of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners.
  • DannieElise
    Options
    :it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12180494

Science trumps alarmism

Sounds good to me! And it certainly tastes good! Bottoms up, Lol!
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    :it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use."

Science trumps alarmism

Yeah, I don't claim to have any particular proof of it...it's just what you're taught through the years of trying to make healthy decisions. Risks or not, some people just choose to stay away from artificial ingredients, but if they aren't as bad for you as we were led to believe, then enjoy! I swear, I can't keep up with what is and isn't bad for us anymore!! :noway: lol!
  • DannieElise
    Options

Science trumps alarmism

Yeah, I don't claim to have any particular proof of it...it's just what you're taught through the years of trying to make healthy decisions. Risks or not, some people just choose to stay away from artificial ingredients, but if they aren't as bad for you as we were led to believe, then enjoy! I swear, I can't keep up with what is and isn't bad for us anymore!! :noway: lol!

LOL! I totally agree! It's so hard to keep up. That's why I was even questioning this water in the first place. Kinda funny that I even have to ask if WATER is okay to drink? Lol! I even read recently that "organic" isn't always what it seems....it's the kind of thing that will drive you crazy! I tried looking up some of the other ingredients on the water bottle and the explanations made my head swim. So I guess I'll just keeping on drinking it, but still make H2O as my first choice as much as possible. :drinker: :smile:
  • DannieElise
    Options
    It does have artificial sweetner but I drink a 33.9 ounce bottle daily. It tastes so good that it makes getting at least 4 of my 8 glasses of water in easily!

What is your fav flavor? I love White Grape and Peach! =)
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I always stay away from artificial sweetners as well. I just can't stand the after taste of them. I was using aspartame and Splenda quite a bit over a period of a few months. I developed severe muscle aches and pains to the point I could not exercise and even walking was difficult. The pain was all over my body...weird! I had a bunch of testing done by the docs but they couldn't find anything. I decided to cut out the sweetners and within about a week all symptoms were gone. I firmly believe all of our bodies are different though and some of us have sensitivities. I'm guessing my body just doesn't like them. Everybody has to find what works for them. That water does sound great though!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I love all the flavors. So good!
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this stuff!!! Drink it all the time!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It says "America" in it.......nuff said. Drink regular water, I don't get the big deal of avoiding that...