Why do women put on makeup and do their hair for the gym???

Options

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I look like a dude without makeup. I never leave the house (no matter where I'm going) without "my face" on- powder, lip gloss, and mascara.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    how do you know these girls aren't coming straight from their day jobs?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Some people do it b/c they want to look good. Maybe they want to have their best foot forward in case they run into a coworker/client/boss/etc. They may also be running errands before going to the gym or coming from work etc.

I might do it (not a gym member yet, but soon) b/c I'd be trying to not look bad - I have skin problems and I'm extremely self conscious about it.
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I barely do my hair and makeup for work... certainly not for a workout. But I also work 4am to 1pm so I'm not up for doing anything that fancy first thing in the am. They are lucky I put clothes on that match!
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much? Are you insecure about it because you don't get pretty for the gym and they do? I put on make up to get the mail. Of course I'm going to shower and put make up on for the gym. It's not affecting anyone else but myself.

exactly!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    some people feel good when they look good - good on them. I often wear makeup to the gym, since I go after work and I've been wearing it all day. I'm not going to take it off because I'm going to the gym.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Its a confidence thing - whatever works!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    This again?

Three choices.

1) They like to look nice.

2) They come directly from work/outing/some other activity they wanted to look nice for and don't see the point in taking makeup off/undoing hair since they'll be showering after the gym

3) They're wondering why you're coming to they gym with unkempt hair & no makeup

JM
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after work so I have make up on but my hair is back in a headband.
  • talzybob
    talzybob Posts: 80
    Options
    this is a daft thing to worry about. if people feel they are not comfortable without their makeup, (like me I am NEVER without it) then thats their concern. I dont care how a person looks when they go to the gym as long as they are dressed. confidence is about being comfy if they are comfy with makeup then leave them be. Its doesnt matter to you why they are wearing it you are there for your OWN benefit. I wear makeup to the gym because i am confident with it and believe i am better with it on. Dont care what any one else thinks, and neither should you. If your comfy in your own body why pick up on the fact others are not. we are all in the same boat at the end of the day. loosing weight to feel better about ourselves.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Because it makes them feel their best and isn't that what everyone wants in life to feel their best? I workout with no makeup on but that's my choice and I don't mind if someone else chooses to do their hair and makeup, whatever floats your boat. My friend always criticizes people who wear clothes that don't flatter their figure, you know what I say "Life is too short to worry about anyone elses clothing choices" If that person looks in the mirror and says "I look good" Well good for them, they have self confidence that I wish I had. America is one of the only countries that has such hangups about bodies, all you need to do is hit the beach in Maine in the summer or the Dominican in the winter to see large women in bikinis from other countries. They don't care so why should I care what they are wearing.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When you look better, you feel better, and perform better. I say do whatever you need to do give that work out hell and feel great!
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My mother does. I don't necessarily- although I typically go straight from class so I'm already made up.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Because girls who care about their appearance get dolled all for where ever they go. Even if its in their own home.
    You'll never know what may happen.

This.
    I always run into a ex, their family, or my crush when I'm not loving my look. To avoid having to see anyone, I doll it up :wink:
    But honestly, I go to the gym after work. And this topic has been beaten to death, but really who cares what anyone else looks like? I'm there to do my thing, don't worry about it. :wink:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Sweating with makeup on is not the best for your skin -- and the tell tale makeup stains on the sweat towels are kinda icky. When I exercised after work I used a tissue-off cleanser to remove the makeup.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I will say I frequently go directly from work to the gym. While my hair is not done, a lot of times I still have eye makeup/blush on. I usually try to remember to swipe it off before I go (otherwise there's a mess on my eyes after the elliptical), but sometimes I forget.

Someone did ask my why I did my eyes before coming to workout when they run so bad when I sweat. It's not intentional - just the best way to get me to go work out is to change at work and go straight there.
  • tyrog11
    tyrog11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this but never thought much about the makeup and hair other than they are probably kinda looking to meet someone...to each his/her own. But what bugs me is there are a couple of ladies who pour on the perfume! It is so bad that I find it hard to breathe when I am on the treadmill next to them. The last time it happened it gave me a headache! Hair and makeup...good for you, but please tone down the perfume!!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I shower before I go to the gym. I even put on earrings and perfume. I am not trying to get attention at all. Thats just what I do. I wear matchy matchy workout clothes ALWAYS.

Do you want to know why? Cause I can.

Oh and to add to this, I dont care that other people look like they rolled out of bed and came to the gym. Doesnt bother me 1 bit. I appreciate the same in return.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Because some of us get a better workout in when we feel comfortable about the way we look. If I run into old high school friends or my ex boyfriend's mom, I'd rather not look frumpy.

Why does it bother you?
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This annoys the crap out of me as well. When I'm at the gym I'm in full on workout mode. Yoga pants, tank top, no make up and hair up. I see all these chicks in full on make up and hair walking slowly on the treadmill while talking on their phones. To each their own I guess but it still annoys me. It also annoys me when people talk to me at the gym. The other day I was on the ellipitical and I guess I was really getting into my music and my workout and all of a sudden the dude next to me taps me on the shoulder and motioned to take my ear phones off. It scared the crap out of me when he tapped me. I almost fell off the machine. I took my earbuds out and just look at him and he goes, "You look like you're really enjoying your workout, what are you listening too?" And, I told him just some music I put together and go to put my earbuds back in and he continues talking to me. Finally I just told him that I was on a time limit and I needed to get back to what I was doing. Geez! I am not there to talk to people! My friend told me later that she thought he was hitting on me which skeezed me out even more. I mean really? Who picks up people at the gym? Ugh. I just want to do my workout and get out of there!

Sorry for ranting but it really bugged me.