Why do women put on makeup and do their hair for the gym???

Options

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I don't always, sometimes it coincides with the fact I've been looking nice before that for something else and I'm not gonna remove it all! Sometimes if I have time, I'll make an effort simply BECAUSE I CAN! And it might make me feel better, stay longer and work harder. Each to their own.
  • TNEKEIA
    TNEKEIA Posts: 12
    Options
    i sweat too hard to wear makeup. i try to remove as much of it as possible before heading to the gym afterwork. I've melting faces and hanging lashes in the gym. Very funny!
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No matter what I wear I come out looking like a drenched sweaty mess who is about to collapse on the floor...and I've still got chatted up like that!

But I do try and take the make up off, so as I sweat it doesn't get stuck in my pores and make my spotty!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Many people go straight to the gym after work.

Would not make much sense to shower and undo one's hair and makeup before a workout.

Just saying.

They do have makeup-removing cloths you can carry in your purse, though. It cleans the makeup off and, if you want to, you can use another to clean the sweat off your face. The hair's not so much a big deal as long as it's not in your way or someone else's.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this but never thought much about the makeup and hair other than they are probably kinda looking to meet someone...to each his/her own. But what bugs me is there are a couple of ladies who pour on the perfume! It is so bad that I find it hard to breathe when I am on the treadmill next to them. The last time it happened it gave me a headache! Hair and makeup...good for you, but please tone down the perfume!!

This^......I really don't care what people wear or whether they have makeup on. I'm working out and focusing on my workout. Its not a distraction for me, but I think if a woman is all dressed to the tee and doesn't really workout much then she must be advertising. jmho
  • pampam7619
    Options
    I can only answer for myself but sometimes I go to the gym after I've been some where else which I may have worn make up. saying that to say, maybe they applied it earlier. Then you see some women who would never leave the house without their make up and that's just them. So no judement there. The main thing is, their in the health club trying to do the same thing that women who don't have make up on is doing. Jusdt my thought..
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I am in some yoga pants, tank top, nike's, and hair in a ponytail. When I am working out I don't really care how I look as long as I am cool and comfortable for my workout. What I don't understand is these women who come in to the gym with a full face of makeup, hair all curled, push up bras, and then walk slowly on the treadmill and never break a sweat. I don't get it. These women are attractive enough they don't have to pay for a gym membership and get all dolled up to get attention, I am sure they get it everywhere else too. I understand a little cream for blemishes and a cute messy pony tail but not looking like your going to the club for the night. Hmmm.

I used to go straight from work so yeah, I had makup on, I always put my hair up in a pony but when I got there, it was done. I had no qualms about getting sweaty and my makeup running at all though. I canceled the membership and bought what I needed for home so no issue anymore.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Not all women do. For me, "doing" my hair for the gym = hat and pony tail to keep the hair out of my eyes. Make up? I don't wear much anyway, but if I have powder and mascara on from work, that's about all you'll ever catch me with at the gym either.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I do understand this, been there done that. But yesterday it was 9:30 in the morning. I do get matchy matchy when I go so I don't look so frumpy but I don't see the point of wearing makeup b/c personally I sweat it off and look like something out of a horror movie with the mascara down my face. :D

Everyone has different standards.....to me your matchy-matchy outfits, yoga pants, and nike tanks are dressing up. I wear an old tshirt and cotton capri pants. So, to each their own.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Who cares?
    People who wear makeup and do their hair can work out JUST as hard as those who do not...
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1. Because they like looking good.

2. The gym guys I guess?

I think #1 should be #2 and #2 should be #1 lol
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I teach some classes at the gym so when I'm working my hair is in the cutest ponytail I can muster and I wear SOME makeup. Just a stain on my cheeks, waterproof liner and mascara and tinted lip moisturizer. I need it for the confidence boost. Don't wear powder or foundation since it will just slide off when I sweat, plus those pores need to breathe!
    If I'm not working, I don't bother with any makeup. On occasion i will still do the mascara, but that's it.
    And I am ALWAYS matchy matchy if I can help it! : D
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    The only reason I've gone to the gym with my hair and make up on is when I've been busy all day and have been out and about. I usually keep some make up remover cloths in my locker but ran out recently and need to restock them. It's not meant to, I certainly don't do it on purpose.
  • pampam7619
    Options
    It is funny, but I don't make a big deal about it. You probably take some of yours off because you don't wanna be one of those melting faces. lol!
  • ceh2433
    ceh2433 Posts: 35
    Options
    My boyfriend calls it "Gym Trendy" I always wear make up to the gym (for me that consistes of eyeshadow, liner, mascara, blush and chapstick) It makes me feel better about myself, like i don't look like the walking dead.

I am also one to occasionally cut the neck off an old t shirt as well...

hey as long as your at the gym does it matter?
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't do my hair or makeup for the "gym" but I do go to the gym straight from work so my hair and make up is done!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If they can pull it off.....good for them. Me, I am happy when my socks matches :bigsmile:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup to the gym. I've even curled my hair before. Why do people care so much what others do??

I guess I don't notice what other people are doing much in the gym because I'm usually focused on what 'I'm' doing.

Ok, except that guy last week who was flexing in the mirror and making kissy faces at himself. Made me giggle, but still, if that's what makes him happy. Right on.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    *shrug* Perhaps they don't NEED you to understand why they do it. Let them do what makes 'em feel good about themselves and do your own thing.
  • munkysmama
    munkysmama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes. There are plenty of times that I show up at the gym with my work makeup and hairstyle, but by the time I'm done you can't tell. I think the frustrating part is when the women you are referring to just sit on a machine (not doing any reps) and talk to guys the whole time. THEN they have the nerve to get cranky when you ask if you can use the machine.