MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Thursday to you all!

I got in 6.2 miles this morning. Did 4.66 outdoors (started in the dark at 5:30am) -- then my DH had to go to work so I finished the last 1.54 miles on my treadmill.

to answer the treadmill question -- I do both -- mostly because I have 2 small kids and I run in the morning while they are still sleeping. There is a difference but it's not huge and I expect the difference will be less in the winter. I run my long run outdoors and most of my other runs are on a treadmill. During the Spring and Fall I really don't notice a huge difference...BUT in the summer (heat and humidity) I do! that's when I try to do more outdoor runs to get used to the air (or lack of!). I run on a slight incline to help it seem more like outdoors. I think the big difference is it seems like you use different muscles -- not sure it's true -- but on a treadmill it's more about picking up your feet and on the road is more pushing off the road.:ohwell:

HTH -- have a great day!
    Julie
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm training with a local running club with the thoughts of doing a Marathon in December. Two weeks ago we did a 13 mile run. With a couple of miles left to go my legs started to really hurt. They weren't cramping...I don't know what it was. And they hurt for about an hour after the run...but then they were fine.

Anyhow we are doing a 15 miler this weekend and I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this run without my legs hurting so much. I'm new to running so I still have a lot to learn - any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.
    Only had one response so thought I'd try again....thanks.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Wow, sorry I haven't posted i awhile! How are you all doing?

I've been quite busy recently. Still working on the freeway to 10k program. Also helping 3 female friends go through c25k. So, this means on my running days I'm running 2x a day doing intervals. Its nice, but at the same time I have to not run on the off days or else my legs are toasted next time I do the twice-in-one-day thing.

Last night I missed c25k but my housemate covered it for me because I locked my keys in my car and I had to wait for a locksmith. Afterwards I kicked my own butt with the 10k intervals to make up for it.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Well I have a concert to go to Halloween night so thats out BUT I really like the Shamrock Marathon so maybe that needs to be a MFP Runners Club event! There is even a half marathon so if needed we can do that!! :laugh: Lets get a plan going!!! :drinker: :drinker:

That sounds like a really good idea :bigsmile: Not to mention the fact that it's early in the year so I could say I did it before 30 :laugh:

Here's the link -- www.shamrockmarathon.com -- and Welcome to Virginia :drinker:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hill training today - I'm up to 5 hills and today I was feeling it. Overall a good run (which on hill day means I didn't lose my breakfast:laugh: )
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Well I have a concert to go to Halloween night so thats out BUT I really like the Shamrock Marathon so maybe that needs to be a MFP Runners Club event! There is even a half marathon so if needed we can do that!! :laugh: Lets get a plan going!!! :drinker: :drinker:

That sounds like a really good idea :bigsmile: Not to mention the fact that it's early in the year so I could say I did it before 30 :laugh:

Here's the link -- www.shamrockmarathon.com -- and Welcome to Virginia :drinker:

I looked at it some last night, and it looks like sooooo much fun. And it doesn't hurt that my sister goes to school at VCU. Totally valid excuse for a road trip. :laugh:
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    to answer the treadmill question -- I do both -- mostly because I have 2 small kids and I run in the morning while they are still sleeping. There is a difference but it's not huge and I expect the difference will be less in the winter. I run my long run outdoors and most of my other runs are on a treadmill. During the Spring and Fall I really don't notice a huge difference...BUT in the summer (heat and humidity) I do! that's when I try to do more outdoor runs to get used to the air (or lack of!). I run on a slight incline to help it seem more like outdoors. I think the big difference is it seems like you use different muscles -- not sure it's true -- but on a treadmill it's more about picking up your feet and on the road is more pushing off the road.:ohwell:

HTH -- have a great day!
    Julie

This does help. Thanks. Now I just have to undertake the daunting task of finding one. I'm not quite sure how to go about the research on this but I have plenty of time until winter. Also, I live in a really, really small house.:grumble: Is it wrong to put the treadmill in the living room? I'd have to store a chair for the winter to get it to fit but it's really the only place to put it that's big enough. I'm sure any guests I may have wouldn't mind scrunching together on the couch.:laugh:
  • jabdye
    Options
    Emmyleww -- My treadmill folds up -- so the tread part flips up and connects to the front where the info center is located. I don't have a lot of room either so this kind works well for me. I stink at approximate measurements but if I had to guess I would say it takes up maybe 2 ft. from the wall and 3 ft. wide. I've had mine for a little over a year -- got it used -- and it's still going strong. Good luck finding one -- and no, I don't think its a crime to put it in your living room as long as it doesn't turn into a laundry rack you should be good :)
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, well I'm here... :frown:
    I tried to run this morning, a light jog really and I made it for almost 3 miles with some pain but then the pain felt worse so I walked. I wonder if it's plantar fasciitis (sp) I do hurt on my ankle some but when I run (or tried to) the pain feels like a stabbing in the arch of my foot. So, I made an appt to go get checked in the morning. I did try icing it, but for me- it's so mental and I need to know how to prepare myself with the training that I am doing. Hopefully it won't be the dreaded two words, you all know what they are, and hopefully it's something a little rest and maybe some inserts will fix. i do have a pain in my butt (literally :laugh: ) on that side that i noticed while running.

Anyhoo, enough about me, happy running to all of you. You are doing so great!!! I pray that I can get right back in there with you soon.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    WillyWonka- Glad you're getting it checked out. Let us know you find out!

Today is a rest day for me. Tomorrow I finish up week 6 of Couch to 5k with a 25 minute run- it will be my longest run ever :drinker: I have gotten through everything just fine this week, but haven't felt as good as usual while doing it. It's the week before my TOM so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. I always feel worse the week before than the week of. Let's hope I can snap out of it.

Happy running, everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Emmyleww -- My treadmill folds up -- so the tread part flips up and connects to the front where the info center is located. I don't have a lot of room either so this kind works well for me. I stink at approximate measurements but if I had to guess I would say it takes up maybe 2 ft. from the wall and 3 ft. wide. I've had mine for a little over a year -- got it used -- and it's still going strong. Good luck finding one -- and no, I don't think its a crime to put it in your living room as long as it doesn't turn into a laundry rack you should be good :)

DUH!:embarassed: I didn't even think about the fold up kind. That would work out great. I have to admit I'm a little concerned about the laundry rack thing but I think the fact my running partner has one and actually uses it will get me on mine. I'm a little competitive and I wouldn't want to fall behind especially since I'm the one that made her start with me.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! :flowerforyou:

I got in a 4 mile run outside this morning. I'm starting to read about time and tempo runs and all of that, but for the moment I'm just getting outside and running!:tongue:

I'm thinking about signing up for a 10k in Oct. It would be my first race, but I feel like I'd like the challenge of a 10k rather than starting with a 5k since I run that almost daily. I've been looking into training plans and so far like the ones on the Runner's World site. Any other suggestions?
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Six mile tempo run this morning, and it was a brisk 78*, so felt better than the last few weeks of running.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    A quick 2 miles today. I am in a full blown sciatica flare up and annoyed as he** with my body for letting me down!:explode: :mad: :angry:
    I'm supposed to go for 9.25 tomorrow,but we'll see. Usually I can run without pain while in a flare so I'm trying to be optimistic.....it's the after that kills me. BUT i have spent months in bed without relief from this and I've tried working through it...nothing seems to help, so unless I can't move, I'm not stopping. Maybe if I weren't such a heifer, my back would behave! :grumble: :grumble:
    Okay, enough whining!

Have a great evening everyone!

Becky
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Did a 5 miler at the local nature center tonight! So excited because I thought I was going to have to run alone tonight since the group run was cancelled and one of the girls from Team in Training showed up too. We talked the entire time and it went so fast!! 9 miler on Saturday :grumble:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    7 mile speedwork run tonight

1 mile warm-up
    3 x 1600 @ 11:22, jogs of 800m in between
    1 mile cool down

Mile 1 11:41 :sick:
    Mile 2 11:10
    Mile 3 11:11

Whoo hoo!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I thought I posted this morning but I guess not? :huh:

I did an early 5 mile run w/ 2 buddies. Gorgeous morning, around 55* and felt awesome! :bigsmile:

Also took a 3.5 mile after dinner walk w/ my dh. We usually walk after dinner and our girls bike (of course, they lap us a whole bunch around our block! :laugh: ).
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Hey Runners...

Well I've been busy obsessing over bikram yoga lol I love it! Room is 104 degress and like 40 percent humidity and you just sweat and then sweat and then sweat some more! I've done it 3 days in a row. I haven't done much running just some cycling but I'm running a half on Saturday, I hope I'm ok cause I haven't been putting in the miles like I used to. I'll do 6 or so tomorrow. Have a great night! Happy Running...

~Leash :heart:
  • christine918
    Options
    Hey everybody!:flowerforyou:
    I ran for 13 min this morning. grrr this could take some time to get the air back in my chest! So I jumped back and forth between the eliptical and the treadmill. I gotta get those calories burned somehow!

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hi Runners-

I'm hoping you can help me!

As many of you know, I'm doing Couch to 5k right now and I will be running my first 5k on Aug. 30th. I just started running on June 24th. Tomorrow I will be doing week 6 day 3 (25 minutes, or about 2.25 miles of running). The problem is, I live in a very hilly section of town. The loop I usually do is quite hilly- mostly long, drawn out hills. At first, I thought 'well, if I can run hills, I can certainly run on flat land!' so I just sucked it up and did it. I haven't had to repeat any week of Couch to 5k and have never cheated at all- not even by one minute! :bigsmile:

However, last Friday, on my 20 minute run, I ended up running all over the place- going in circles, backtracking, anything and everything I could do to avoid a gosh darn hill! :grumble: They tend to really slow me down on the long run days. And I'm not quick yet- the 25 minutes tomorrow will be about 1.75 miles for me- not the 2.25 that Couch to 5k says.

So, my question is, do I do my usual loop and suffer through hills, or avoid the hills as I have been doing? Or, do I do a much smaller loop several times that is more flat? Other option is to drive to the track, but I'd really rather not do that.

What do you all think? I appreciate your advice very much! :smile: Send me some good vibes for tomorrow! :laugh: