MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good evening everyone!

No running for me today. I ended up leaving work at noon to go home and lay down. Been fighting a migraine all day.

That shamrock run is on my birthday - March 20! I doubt I would be ready for a half marathon by then.

WW - glad to hear youre getting it checked out

Becky - sorry to hear about your back. And don't call yourself a heifer, dear...you are too good for that!

Christine - way to go in getting your work out in!

kelynn - I would run the hills....they are so good for you. I run them all the time (I don't have a choice) and am now to the point where most of them don't bother me too much.

bgood - you are too funny!

emmy - I'm in the same boat...I don't have a treadmill but I don't plan on getting one. I look forward to the challenge of running in the snow...it is something I have never done before lol. Good luck in finding a good one

Night everyone and happy running!
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Runners-

I'm hoping you can help me!

As many of you know, I'm doing Couch to 5k right now and I will be running my first 5k on Aug. 30th. I just started running on June 24th. Tomorrow I will be doing week 6 day 3 (25 minutes, or about 2.25 miles of running). The problem is, I live in a very hilly section of town. The loop I usually do is quite hilly- mostly long, drawn out hills. At first, I thought 'well, if I can run hills, I can certainly run on flat land!' so I just sucked it up and did it. I haven't had to repeat any week of Couch to 5k and have never cheated at all- not even by one minute! :bigsmile:

However, last Friday, on my 20 minute run, I ended up running all over the place- going in circles, backtracking, anything and everything I could do to avoid a gosh darn hill! :grumble: They tend to really slow me down on the long run days. And I'm not quick yet- the 25 minutes tomorrow will be about 1.75 miles for me- not the 2.25 that Couch to 5k says.

So, my question is, do I do my usual loop and suffer through hills, or avoid the hills as I have been doing? Or, do I do a much smaller loop several times that is more flat? Other option is to drive to the track, but I'd really rather not do that.

What do you all think? I appreciate your advice very much! :smile: Send me some good vibes for tomorrow! :laugh:

I used to have this same problem! I would run the hills once a week (great for endurance), and I would definitely make the effort to go to the track once also--great for intervals/speedwork. I try to go at least once a week because it is so flat and I can gauge my speed better. I don't know how many workouts a week you have with that program, but the other(s), if you are feeling good, go for the hills, if not, do something different.

Give yourself a pat on the back--your getting out there and that's what counts!

Jodi
  • jodi0117
    Options
    Well, I am taking a couple days off due to some hip pain. I haven't determined if it is from working or running. It better be from working! Then maybe I can take a few days off from that instead!

Yoga this morning--will try a run tomorrow-hopefully!

Becky, sorry about your sciatica (sp?). I had trouble with that once while I was in college--it was awful! Fortunately, it has never come back. Hope you are able to get your run done today!

Happy Friday!
    Jodi
  • jodi0117
    Options
    I thought I posted this morning but I guess not? :huh:

I did an early 5 mile run w/ 2 buddies. Gorgeous morning, around 55* and felt awesome! :bigsmile:

Also took a 3.5 mile after dinner walk w/ my dh. We usually walk after dinner and our girls bike (of course, they lap us a whole bunch around our block! :laugh: ).

If I woke up here,TX, in the middle of August and it was 55 degrees--I swear I could run a marathon! Lucky you!

Have to ask, I keep seeing reference to DH on this site, I figured out it is the hubby, but what does it stand for?
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone and Happy Friday!

SatelliteCrush - Great job on the tempo run. I'm still a little scared to try them but you are an inspiration to me for sure.

Kelynn - I agree with annaliza. I would do the hills. I'm pretty new to the running thing and don't have much experience with hills as I live in Iowa but I hear they're a good workout. Just think of how much faster you'll be on that flat course.

Becky - I know it's out of frustration but you shouldn't get so down on yourself. Look at all you've accomplished. Just an FYI, I too suffer from sciatic pain and it started (and was the worst) when I was in my best shape at 20yrs. I think some people are just prone to certain conditions regardless of age and/or shape. Hope you feel better soon.

Annaliza - I tried running in the snow and ice last year but only did it twice. I thought I could start running in the dead of winter. I was wrong. I didn't mind the cold or the snow but the ice and wind are what got me. I actually enjoyed the cooler temps and I saw a lot more wildlife. I was just beginning so it was a lot harder for me to convince myself to get frostbite for only 5 min of running. And I'm talking about 1 min spurts at a time. I am still planning on running on the weekends outdoors and save the indoor stuff for during the week when I'm busiest. I've heard the key is dressing in layers. Good Luck!

So, yesterday I rode my bike to my friend's to check on her cats/house. I used her treamill again but only ran 1 mile but I messed around with the speeds. It was kind of fun to play. I was basically killing time before I went to play tennis. I'll probably use it again today after work for my 3 miles. We're having some pretty bad storms today. I do like running in the rain but not the thunder and lightning and downpour. Plus, I have to play softball tonight so it's better if I don't get struck by lightning today.

Have a great day everyone!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    No running for me today. I over did it yesterday and my leg hurt last night and this morning so I am taking the day off. :grumble: I am even wearing my running sneaker on my left foot today for support. People generally don't say too much about my choice in shoes anymore because they have seen me with 2 totally different shoes on before or an ice back ace bandage around my leg. :laugh:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday:flowerforyou:

8 miles for me this morning, 100% humidity. This "very hard" training program is kicking my butt.:laugh: I rest tomorrow before another 8 miler on Sunday.:drinker:

Have a great weekend everyone
    -Kechie.

Get well soon Sherry and Jenny:heart:
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Man I have not gone running in like a week :cry: I hate humidity and allergies outside. I've been stuck doing videos and what I call "living room cardio" Hopefully I'll be able to get out there tonight and do something!!!!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
    I am my own worst critic.
    Just couldn't make it happen today. My stomach was churning, hips felt locked, and back was really bad. My running buddy was terrific ... we walked/ran about 4 miles. It felt good to move a little. We're going to go for 9 tomorrow. I have a lot of housework to tackle, but am going to try and get some yoga/stretching in this afternoon.

Jenny~glad you're getting your foot looked at.

Sherry ~sorry the leg is acting up. Good for you for backing off!

Emmylew and Jodi~thank you very much! It helps to know others have had this too!

Have a good day everybody!

Becky
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, Emmyleww, jodi0117, and Annaliza. I guess hills it is :noway:

:laugh:

Happy running, everyone! :smile:
  • Emmyleww
    Options
    Kechie you are my hero! Your determination in the humidity is an inspiration for me to stop my whining and just suck it up and do it. Thanks for leading by example.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Yippeee it's Friday -- and I am beach bound tomorrow:love:

I must admit -- i have a problem (and I understand that admitting it is half the battle:bigsmile: ) -- I am ADDICTED to running. Thought I would take today off -- since my family is leaving for the beach tomorrow -- and we are staying with my running buddy's family so I know I'll be running with her. But today I am about to blow :explode: I really NEED to run to deal with work/life drama! I always knew it was helpful mentally -- but now I am certain that I have a problem -- I am addicted to endorphins. there I said it. Guess there could be worse things to be addicted to -- but (heavy sigh):mad:

Hope you all have a great weekend -- those of you in the east -- be careful running this weekend, the temps are supposed to be brutal (100 degrees+)!

Take care!
    Julie
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Julie, I am the same way....I am addicted to running! Maybe we need to start a group...

Hello, my name is Annaliza and I'm an endorphin junkie! :laugh:

Becky, sorry to hear about the stomach churning run. Hopefully yoga will help soothe your soul.

Plan on running 5k or more tonight. I am gearing myself up for my long run on Sunday. I'm hoping to try 5+ miles now that I know it's ok to stop and walk for a few minutes. :happy:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, Happy Friday!!
    Well, I went to a sports doctor and the good news is - NO stress fracture!!!
    But I do have plantar fasciitis which I figured because last year when I was doing a lot of elliptical I had a flare-up. Up until now, I haven't experienced any pain from it with the running.
    He said that I can still run, just ease up on my miles until it is relieved and I got some gel inserts for my heels.
    Anyone dealt with this, can I still run? I want to sooo badly, I just hate running with pain.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Willywonka, that's great (that's there's no stress fracture!!) :smile:

Well, I'm back from my 25 minute run- did the whole thing... and I did the hills, with those of you that were pushing me to do thme in mind- thanks!! :flowerforyou: I didn't cheat at all :bigsmile: :drinker: And I'm proud to say that I've now completed week 6 of Couch to 5k and have never cheated on even one second of it! :wink:

I wasn't feeling totally into it today, but it was a bit hotter than normal and to make matters worse, I tripped on the sidewalk:blushing: :explode: (they really should fix the 3 inch differences besides one sidewalk square and the next!! :explode:) So, that totally killed the momentum I had and definately gave me a 'the heck with this' attitude to battle for the rest of the run, but I did it. Embarassed and all.

It's ok... you can laugh :ohwell: I'm sure I will be in a few minutes after I go take a shower and get all the dirt and grass clippings from some guy's front lawn off of me. Good thing he wasn't outside when I wiped out and landed in his front yard :laugh:
  • Emmyleww
    Options
    Julie & Annaliza - I only wish I were addicted. I'm hoping that comes with time. The only thing I'm addicted to right now is chocolate.:laugh: I want to :heart: running. Right now I :grumble: my way through it and when I'm done I :heart: how I feel. Sadly that subsides by the next day. Please...please tell me your secrets. I don't care if I have to go to a support group.
  • Emmyleww
    Options
    Well, I'm back from my 25 minute run- did the whole thing... and I did the hills, with those of you that were pushing me to do thme in mind- thanks!! :flowerforyou: I didn't cheat at all :bigsmile: :drinker: And I'm proud to say that I've now completed week 6 of Couch to 5k and have never cheated on even one second of it! :wink:

I wasn't feeling totally into it today, but it was a bit hotter than normal and to make matters worse, I tripped on the sidewalk:blushing: :explode: (they really should fix the 3 inch differences besides one sidewalk square and the next!! :explode:) So, that totally killed the momentum I had and definately gave me a 'the heck with this' attitude to battle for the rest of the run, but I did it. Embarassed and all.

GREAT JOB! Way to stick with it even when you wanted to give up. Not that it's the same thing but I totally wiped out on my rollerblades the first time out last year. I thought I was ready to go down this hill but it proved to me I wasn't. I swear I did a superman fly through the air then I hit the side where the grass was (thankfully not the pavement) and summersaulted a couple of times until I stopped. I got up and walked the rest of the way down on the grass and decided it wasn't going to defeat me and bladed for 30 min. I was getting some strange looks from people and I didn't realize why until I got back to my car. I had mud and grass smeared all down my pants (front & back), down my arms, and there were tufts of grass sticking out from my rollerblades. It was too funny to be embarrassed about. I have millions of these types of stories. Don't even get me started with the winter ice stories.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Emmyleww -- thanks for the chuckle -- I can just picture the tufts of grass! But you may want to rethink the treadmill -- hate to see you become a youtube sensation cause you get thrown off the back!!!
  • Emmyleww
    Options
    Emmyleww -- thanks for the chuckle -- I can just picture the tufts of grass! But you may want to rethink the treadmill -- hate to see you become a youtube sensation cause you get thrown off the back!!!

Funny you should mention the treadmill. I was running on one yesterday and caught my foot on the very front of it. I thought I was going down. All I could picture was getting drug down by the belt and having my foot pinned while I struggle to get up. Yah, I have nightmares about these things. You don't know how many people I know cringed when I told them I bought rollerblades last year and then again when I bought a bike this year. Ahh, at least I can laugh at myself.:smile:
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    Hi! I'm Laura and I'm a newbie to the runner's club (mostly because I never considered myself a runner!)

I've been following the couch-to-5k running program, and I just finished week 5 last night. That means I ran for 20 straight minutes (a HUGE jump from the previous 8min max!). I was so happy with myself that I went and signed up for a 3km race that's on Sept. 5! :bigsmile:

And as a bonus, I have another awesome thread to follow! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: