Why Eating Exercise Calories is so important.

Options

Replies

• deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I want to say thanks too. I am in the worst rut ever... I lower, lower lower my calories, work extra hard, and probably dont net 700 calories a day... if that... and I dont lose weight.... (VERY FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST), and then I get so frustrated, it makes me binge eat... and then I go up (mostly water weight) and I start the process again... UGH!!

I am so doing this and would love for others to post their results who have just started doing this from lower calories to eating more so we can compare...

I also like txlady would love to know what you eat, without adding junk, (which I would do immediately first if I could...haha) to keep your calories up and your stats in line (like carbs/fats/proteins) so OP can you post menus too??
  • neesie0358
    neesie0358 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • veobrien
    veobrien Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Marcelee123

I take my fitbit off when I do cardio too. For one reason, I do this because I use a HRM with a chest strap which I know will be more accurate and, for another reason, it also gives me a chance to charge the fitbit!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If the body's default is to burn muscle rather than fat then it wouldn't store fat to start with. It would store muscle.

Nobody is going to burn off their muscle until they are in the advanced stages of starvation.

That is false, you lose lean muscle all the while, while in a caloric deficit if you don't take measures to protect it. These measures are lifting heavy, and eating enough protein. without those 2 your body can burn muscle easier then fat, if you don't have 50+ lbs to lose. The body does this as muscle burns cals, if you have less cals your body looks for ways to conserve energy, one way is have less muscle, if you are not doing heavy lifting your body doesn't think you need that much muscle and will do away with it, making your BMR lower, making it easier to cope with a lower caloric intake.
    The body will conserve the muscle it needs to have to cope with whatever demand you put on it. If you were lifting and then stop then it will lose some muscle because the demand isn't there anymore. If you lose 50 lbs and don't lift it will lose the muscle no longer required to haul around the 50 lbs. However, the body won't just burn its muscle away as a preferred fuel source if the body contains fat and carbohydrates.

The average person on this forum doesn't have to worry about all their muscle burning away unless they plan on participating in an extended famine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If the body's default is to burn muscle rather than fat then it wouldn't store fat to start with. It would store muscle.

Nobody is going to burn off their muscle until they are in the advanced stages of starvation.

That is false, you lose lean muscle all the while, while in a caloric deficit if you don't take measures to protect it. These measures are lifting heavy, and eating enough protein. without those 2 your body can burn muscle easier then fat, if you don't have 50+ lbs to lose. The body does this as muscle burns cals, if you have less cals your body looks for ways to conserve energy, one way is have less muscle, if you are not doing heavy lifting your body doesn't think you need that much muscle and will do away with it, making your BMR lower, making it easier to cope with a lower caloric intake.
    The body will conserve the muscle it needs to have to cope with whatever demand you put on it. If you were lifting and then stop then it will lose some muscle because the demand isn't there anymore. If you lose 50 lbs and don't lift it will lose the muscle no longer required to haul around the 50 lbs. However, the body won't just burn its muscle away as a preferred fuel source if the body contains fat and carbohydrates.

The average person on this forum doesn't have to worry about all their muscle burning away unless they plan on participating in an extended famine.

Again I disagree. Most people body builders included lose lean muscle as they lose fat. If you are in a deficit you will lose both fat and muscle, the less fat you have the more muscle you are likely to lose. Even with lifting heavy and ofter some loss will occur and a larger deficit will lead to a large % of lean muscle loss.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with this myself. Whilst I get my guys I coach to eat back a small amount of calories, it is nowhere near what is suggested here (I'll get them to have 25g whey and 25g malto post work out, around 200 calories). Also the MFP settings are appaling for those wanting to keep muscle - it suggests for me 128g of protein. Load of rubbish. If you wanna get skinny fat, crack on with the MFP suggested figures.

Agreed
  • october2011baby
    october2011baby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to read again when I get more time. Interesting.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this and explaining it so it made sense! My question is how does a person figure out how many calories they need to have a day? I'm 31, 4"7 (no joke I'm that short), 208lbs. I stay at home with my kids and clean and do laundry. Nothing really exhilarating. So for me how do I figure that out?
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jackiesaurus
    jackiesaurus Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most of the exercise calories back but still have some left over. Therefore I build a stockpile of reserve for the weekend in case I want to hang loose and booze or eat out at a restaurant and leave my halo at home. I gain a little come Monday, but after exercising Monday and Tuesday, with my weigh-in on Wednesday, I almost always lose.

I "stock-pile" a little through the week so I can have more wiggle room on the weekends, where I still try to eat healthy and reasonable, but I can have that 2nd beer with no regrets.

Huzzah.

Does this work? I love the idea of stock piling for the weekend...i eat 1200ish calories minimum a day (if no exercise/not the weekend) and exercise 400 - 500 calories 4 days a week and try to eat at least 200 back for a total of 1400+ calories Monday - Thursday (though I don't always exercise Sundays and only eat 1200 - 1400 then).

But Fridays and Saturdays are usually 2000 - 2500 if not higher, but within reason. I've done this for a month now and lost about a pound a week (5 pounds over the month). I want to increase my weekday intake to 1500 - 1600 for the sake of not ruining my metabolism, but without eating differently on the weekends. Can you really stock pile? How well has this worked for you? What's your weekly intake/exercise?
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    Brilliant.....I never knew this but always wondered. Thanks!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • go4itjoanna
    go4itjoanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    my first little... bump.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and very well explained! Thank you!! :)
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Fozzyspotts
    Fozzyspotts Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    yes, Ok, that all makes sense. Problem, I eat 2220 a day to lose 1/2 lb a week. If I exercise at all, my calorie count gets high and I can't eat it all because I can't eat that much anymore. My stomach has shrunk, which is a good thing. How do I resolve this?

Does the idea of stock piling actually work?
  • anttrail
    anttrail Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sooooo confused! Why even exercise if your just going to eat more?
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Sooooo confused! Why even exercise if your just going to eat more?
    Because the nutrition experts said do it, so do it! :laugh: