muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!!!

Options

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Best analogy ever. Wow just brilliant.
    Five dollars worth of manure costs the same as five dollars worth of gold, but not many will argue with me if I say gold is more expensive than cow poop.

The "by volume" is implied.

Yes agree best analogy ever!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    i don't rant often, but this is just IRKING MY NERVES!!! UGH!!!

if i read the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" ONE.MORE.TIME i will probably scream!!! is anyone else miffed about this widespread misrepresentation for weightloss? i mean WTH?!? A POUND IS A FREAKING POUND. the actual difference is in the volume, or space, muscle and fat occupy. fat takes up more space than muscle. so you could have two ppl with the EXACT SAME weight, but one look much trimmer simply because they have LESS fat.

please baby, please baby, baby, baby PLEASE spread the word! correct your friends and help end the spread of this myth.

only YOU can help prevent the spread of fitness myths!

One of these threads again??? It's been a couple weeks I guess. Like it's a revelation that one pound of something equals one pound of something else. NO WAYZ!!! :noway:
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Having read the 7 pages of this thread in it's entirety it appears that it is not just muscle that is more dense than fat :) Tongue in cheek only. Aimed at humour, not offense.:flowerforyou:
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Best way I have heard it explained is that a lb of fat is about the size of a grapefruit while a lb of muscle is about the size of a tangerine.

No different than say, gold. A 'brick' of gold weighs much more than a brick. Gold is more dense: muscle is more dense.

Personally, I want GOLD in my body :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,710 Member
    Options
    I didn't know nerves could be irked. Hmm. I guess I learn something new every day. :tongue: :laugh:

Jill. I love you.

Thank you. Thank you very much. :bigsmile:
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm not a violent man but this topic makes me all:

1137844-S.gif

I love this. I forgot about it until just now. Thanks!

thanks i needed that this morning!! tee hee:laugh:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    This is idiotic. By this logic, nothing weighs more than anything else. Apparently steel and cotton weigh the same. A pound of each is the same...

o_O

When an equal volume of one thing weighs more than the same volume of another thing, the first thing WEIGHS MORE.

You got it wrong. Volume and weight are different. There will of course be more cotton to accumulate a pound that it takes for steel, BUT A POUND IS STILL A POUND NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT TAKES TO CREATE THE POUND (or how little as it pertains to muscle and fat)

I most certainly do NOT have it wrong. I realize that volume and weight are different. That is WHY this argument is fallacious. If volume and weight were interchangeable (as the OP and their *camp* seem to believe), then one would never be able to say that anything "weighed more" than anything else. Since is clearly not the case, one must compare the MASS of identical VOLUMES of two substances to determine which one weighs more. Guess what? 500cc's of muscle weighs more than 500cc's of fat.

Muscle weighs more. Anyone who tries to tell you differently hates science. And probably puppies.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Granted I haven't read the whole 7 pages of this crazy post, but....

IT'S AN EXPRESSION. An expression that is meant to convey that muscle is more dense than fat, which means that it has greater mass per volume, meaning that if you take the same size piece of muscle and fat, the piece of muscle will weigh more. Given that context, the expression "muscle weighs more than fat" is perfectly valid.

I'm willing to bet that at least 99% of people understand what is meant by the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat."
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Having read the 7 pages of this thread in it's entirety it appears that it is not just muscle that is more dense than fat :) Tongue in cheek only. Aimed at humour, not offense.:flowerforyou:

Haha!
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    but a pound of fat looks different on the body then a pound of muscle!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Which weighs more.....20 lbs of bowling balls or 20 lbs of feathers.........
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    But of course muscle weighs more than fat. Just like bricks weigh more than feathers.

No one ever said a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. What is said (and is correct) is that a square inch of muscle weighs more than a square inch of fat. Just like a square inch of bricks weighs more than a square inch of feathers.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's annoying when people complain about this.

Cut a piece of fat out of your body, and then cut the exact same size of muscle out of your body.

Which will weigh more?

The muscle.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be 150lbs of muscles than a 150lbs of fat
    Cuz I'd look way hotter.....
  • BMBasnett
    Options
    Funny, we were just having this conversation at work. It cracks me up when people put on weight and blame it on turning fat to muscle. If you believe you're ahead of the game gaining weight while working out I have no comment lol.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    internet_argument.jpg
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options

if i read the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" ONE.MORE.TIME i will probably scream!!! is anyone else miffed about this widespread misrepresentation for weightloss? i mean WTH?!? A POUND IS A FREAKING POUND. the actual difference is in the volume, or space, muscle and fat occupy. fat takes up more space than muscle. so you could have two ppl with the EXACT SAME weight, but one look much trimmer simply because they have LESS fat.

please baby, please baby, baby, baby PLEASE spread the word! correct your friends and help end the spread of this myth.

You know stress is not good for weight loss, right? ;)
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Yeah its annoying but I try not to pay attention to it because its said so often on here.
  • Izabellesmom
    Options
    I completely agree that I'd rather weigh 150 and be tone than 150 and be plump. But as for me, I'd rather just really weigh 150 again lol!!!!