Holly Madison & Shape Magazine??? WTF??

Options
124»

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    She wasn't big before from the pictures? You can't see all of her in the after either. Rubbish article, I agree! Boo

I thought this same thing!
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is along the same lines with commercials for weight loss success stories about women who were a size 12 and now a size 2!! Really?!?? I'd LOVE to be a solid size 12!!!! Show the women who were size 24 (like me!) and now a size 14 (like me)!!!! It's NOT encouraging to see someone go down to a single digit size to me when they are just a size 12 to start with.
    In my opinion, that's not he majority of women who need to lose weight. But again, just my opinion! :)
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Okay, I have to vent a little bit about seeing Holly Madison as a success story in Shape Magazine. Read the article here:

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/success-stories/celeb-slim-down-playboy-beauty-holly-madison

I was so irritated about her being a poor example, that I wrote the following to Shape's editorial department:

"Although I have been a Shape reader for years, I was disappointed for the first time when I saw Holly Madison as a success story in the March issue. Although she's a lovely lady and should be proud of her weight loss, she's not the best choice as a mentor for the readers. Shape always preaches healthy eating and exercise as the path to a better self, not weight loss supplements. This seemed more like an advertisement than a success story and a sell-out of the magazine's core values."

Anyone agree or am I just being insane here?

Shannon

You're absolutely right. Are you sure that's not an ad? I mean, it reads EXACTLY like an ad: "I was fatter, then I tried XYZ, and it helped me drop one jeans size in two weeks and increased my energy!"

it doesn't even try to read like a real article.... in fact, after reading it again, no one could convince me it's not a paid advertisement

I'm also so tired of skinny people losing 10 lbs and being like "OMG! Look how AMAZING I look now!!" Are you frickin kidding me? You looked AMAZING before, now you just look slightly more AMAZING

thank god for biggest loser, it finally proved to the im-born-this-way-its-genetics-im-big-boned believers that yes, you CAN lose the weight, it's not genetics and you're NOT big boned! ;)

very disappointing SHAPE, who wants to read that a skinny person lost a few lbs? "I was a size 2, and now I'm a size 1!" .... congrats....... I guess?

it's like: "HEY, Guess What! I sold my 2008 Porsche and bought a 2010 Porsche! " ..... congrats.... I guess..... ?
  • LadyWingsFan
    Options
    Booooooo.....I wish I could look like her in the before pictures LMAO She looks all plastic and no substance. What a role model for women (sarcastic font) Shape will not get my business. I agree with an earlier poster--Woman's Health is a great mag to read for real articles and healthy trends. :)
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    She wasn't big before from the pictures? You can't see all of her in the after either. Rubbish article, I agree! Boo
    I was thinking that too!

I made a game of "how many things can you find wrong with this article/commercial/advertisement" one of my favorite is hydroxycut: they use fit actors (including the doctor) and take their pictures in front of a white backdrop, and why? Because it's easier to photoshop their pictures!

However now they're getting sneaky by using body builders who are "out of season" and do a before and after shot, or body builders who had been injured and had gotten "flabby."
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    This is just as bad as that commercial she's in needing a smaller pant size. Boy life is sure hard when you go from a size 0 to a 00
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    How come the after pic is just of her chest? How is that an after shot to show the pouch she mindlessly let go while grocery shopping is gone? I saw previously that she's promoting some drug and I find it odd how they never took professional before shots, they just got some crap camera shot where she was bloated one day and no after-abs so I wouldn’t buy it... not that I would normally but at least pretend it works people!
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading "Shape" awhile ago. I read "Women's Health" now.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a free subscription to Shape and when I came across that "article" I actually scanned to the top of the page to see if there was the "Paid Advertisement" notice that they put at the top of advertorials.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    This is just as bad as that commercial she's in needing a smaller pant size. Boy life is sure hard when you go from a size 0 to a 00

Lol...I love this!!!!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    That's why I read Fitness mag.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My subscription expired last month. I hadn't been happy with it for a while. I've gotten no less than 4 please please renew letters so far. I can't say I've read anything useful in it in a while, I agree every other page is a diet drug ad..
  • angielautenbach
    angielautenbach Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Its to bad that everything in this world is turning into the "sex sells" attitude. All regular commercials are now sexier and more about sex. Drives me nuts.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to vent a little bit about seeing Holly Madison as a success story in Shape Magazine. Read the article here:

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/success-stories/celeb-slim-down-playboy-beauty-holly-madison

I was so irritated about her being a poor example, that I wrote the following to Shape's editorial department:

"Although I have been a Shape reader for years, I was disappointed for the first time when I saw Holly Madison as a success story in the March issue. Although she's a lovely lady and should be proud of her weight loss, she's not the best choice as a mentor for the readers. Shape always preaches healthy eating and exercise as the path to a better self, not weight loss supplements. This seemed more like an advertisement than a success story and a sell-out of the magazine's core values."

Anyone agree or am I just being insane here?

Shannon

I actually missed the fact that she had put on weight, and by the looks of the photo only a few lbs.

Weight loss supplements for that amount of loss is incredibly pointless. From what they say she also did I wouldn't be surprised if the diet change and exercise wasn't behind the loss rather than the tablets.
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The other thing is that the article says that she gained 19 pounds while doing a burlesque show, which I am assuming has her exercising? Isn't it possible that she gained muscle and not fat?
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    From the posts here,that magazine won't be around long,I won't purchase it!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Just a side comment. I noticed that in this month's magazine there was a letter to the editor about the Holly Madison Inspirational article. It basically was another advertisement for NV from a girl who also used it and was "inspired" by Holly. WTF???? I was really disgusted. No negative letters at all and no one ever responded to the one I wrote.

Shannon
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!