Should i eat less in a day if im going out drinking?

Options

Replies

• Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I generally drink one or two nights a week and I try to save up my workout calories for that. I don't care if I am over on any given day, as long as I average out for the week in general - so I always have the option of working out to work it off over the next couple of days or eating less.

10 shots is kind of a lot, unless you plan on spreading it out. I personally had a bad night a few weeks ago and I calculated my total shots of alcohol (Crown) mixed with diet coke to be nine, but it was spread out over almost nine hours. You could always have a drink and then drink some water or a diet drink in between the drinks.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Please don't be drunkorexic. Burn some extra calories, eat normally, and consider cutting back on the booze a little. You can socialize without getting wasteyfaced, even in college. Honestly, had I learned that lesson years ago, I would not be still trying to lose my freshman 15 (i graduated in 2005 :embarassed: ).

Take care of your health. Your body is young and resiliant now, but it won't always be. If you can learn to have a little more balance now, it will do wonders for you even in just a few years. It's hard to not have a drink in your hand, so alternate a mixed drink with just mixer or water. I hate to sound preachy, but sometimes you have to make the healthy lifestyle a priority over what "everyone" does in college. Like I said, I wish I had.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah, i know, drinking is bad and all that, but im a university student so its a given.
    I plan to either have 10 shots of vodka (500 something calories) or a bottle of zinfandel wine (400 odd calories), does that mean i have to eat 400-500 calories less?

Work it off girl!!
  • Heaven71
    Options
    Cannabis is calorie free

THIS^^^
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Wow, 10 shots. I'm a drinker but that much would have me passed out on the floor. Although I probably came close to this on St. Patrick's Day and survived....

This might be a good time in your life to start practicing moderation. Seriously, no one needs to drink that much in one evening to have a good time (even me!). What I often do, if I know I'm going to be going at it for more than a few hours, is to have a glass of water between my drinks. It keeps me hydrated as well as cutting down my alcohol and calorie intake. It also limits the likelihood that I'm going to eat stupidly (think greasy bar food or pancakes at 2am) because I'm drunk. If you ask for the bartender to serve you sparkling water or diet coke with a lime or lemon in a tall glass no one will even know you aren't drinking.

+10
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I do, every day.

I love my booze, and make sure to have room for it in my calories every day. Yep, I shouldn't, as everyone loves to tell me. I point out that i'm 65 lbs down and still losing. There is no one way to lose weight, find out what works for you and do it.

Sounds like you are smart about it, keeping good folks around you, have a great time!

Hell yeah girl! I have a glass of wine or a beer just about every night and then have party nights here and there. Just be smart about it!

Man...now all I can think about is the nice frosty beer in my fridge at home...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Cannabis is calorie free

THIS^^^

Hahaha but all the random crap you eat once consuming cannabis sure isn't!! All I could think about was Taco Bell when I'd enjoyed some herbal refreshment back in the day...
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah, i know, drinking is bad and all that, but im a university student so its a given.
    I plan to either have 10 shots of vodka (500 something calories) or a bottle of zinfandel wine (400 odd calories), does that mean i have to eat 400-500 calories less?

Like a champ! I think you found the liver I've been looking for. lol... Since startin this journey, my tolerance has gone waaaaaaay down! I used to go through 10-12 double tall 3 Olives Grape and Redbull in a night, PLUS numerous shots. According to men's health, this is what i can attribute all my gray hair to. lol

That aside, in all seriousnous... like many others have said... be responsible. Go out, enjoy, get your booze on. But eat right during the day and get some exercise in. If you go over, so be it. You don't do it every night hopefully, so it isnt really a bad thing (other than the mass amount of alcohol consumed). You're young and in college. ENJOY IT, but be smart about it, too! (I speak from experience).
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Have fun, enjoy your age.. However, I would eat before you drink that way you don't drink on an empty stomach. Or have a little bit of food while your drinking.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    All the people on here saying they can't drink that much crack me up, haha. I can down 10 shots in a night, over the course of a few hours, and easily be just bordering on tipsy. I've never been sloppy drunk, and never drank to blackout. Must be the Scottish genes or something, because I don't even do vodka, I'll go for some Jack Daniels. We're pals from way back, Jack and I.

That being said, I never did it that often, and rarely go out now, but it's not a dangerous practice, contrary to popular belief. If you do it now and then, and remain aware of your own reactions, and also be responsible with driving, it's not a self-destructive thing. There's a difference between controlled drinking and remaining aware, and binge drinking to blackout or loss of self-control. Trust me, my parents were both alcoholics, and as I've seen firsthand, the intent and self-awareness is what matters, not the alcohol itself.

However, were I you, I would try and eat more before you go out drinking, like get most of your calories in the evening before you head out. It'll help keep the alcohol from entering your system too quickly, so you don't get hit with a lot of effects at once. And if you know you're going to be drinking more calories, get in some extra workouts beforehand, like during the week, to balance it. I lost weight before while drinking every weekend or so, and it's doable, so long as you plan it out and are responsible with it.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I do, every day.

I love my booze, and make sure to have room for it in my calories every day. Yep, I shouldn't, as everyone loves to tell me. I point out that i'm 65 lbs down and still losing. There is no one way to lose weight, find out what works for you and do it.

Sounds like you are smart about it, keeping good folks around you, have a great time!

Hell yeah girl! I have a glass of wine or a beer just about every night and then have party nights here and there. Just be smart about it!

Man...now all I can think about is the nice frosty beer in my fridge at home...

^^^^ I may have just fallen in love. lol
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Cannabis is calorie free

This x10
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    People, you can't TELL somebody else how a certain amount of alcohol is going to affect them. If ten shots gets her drunk, ten shots is what she'll drink, regardless of your moral compass. Ten shots is NOTHING to some people.

I'm 21, I drink about 8-9 shots about every three weeks. I just have a smaller breakfast and lunch. Remember that if you eat less, it will take less to get you drunk.

I love how everybody giving drinking advice here is older and enjoys a nice beer or wine. Not all of us are at that stage, and some of us like to go out and drink with friends. It's lovely that you have an opinion on how much somebody you don't know should or shouldn't drink, but that's not at all what she asked.

So, yes. I would plan to eat fewer calories that day. It's what I do!
  • watts7787
    watts7787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bad to binge drink blah. So sue me. I drink almost every Friday night. And yes, it is a lot. Probably way more than you are even allowing for. I sometimes allow for extra calories but sometimes I don't. I am losing weight (just started Jan. 9th). I also rarely exercise the next day (SHOCKER). And usually when I get on the scale the next day I am down about 3 or 4 pounds (I know that is because I am dehydrated). I sometimes eat before and it helps me drink almost double what I normally drink and when I don't eat, I drink less because I feel it faster (obviously). If I were you, I would just do it and move on and start over the next day. :) And I will also add that I rarely go out to drink, it is mostly in a home/apt environment so I do not drive. So go have fun and don't worry about it!
  • Heaven71
    Options
    Cannabis is calorie free

THIS^^^

Hahaha but all the random crap you eat once consuming cannabis sure isn't!! All I could think about was Taco Bell when I'd enjoyed some herbal refreshment back in the day...

LOL MUNCHIES!!!! I always munched on bell peppers for some reason. Odd!
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be partaking in extra libations, I usually eat just a tad less, but moreso I plan a really really good workout! I workout hard the day of and also the day after (great way to sweat out that alcohol!)
  • annetteharris123
    Options
    Or you could just go out enjoy yourself then get back on track the next day :)) i always have a drink on a FFriday usually a bottle of wine but next day im back and in healthy mode!!! and ive lost everyweek since i started my diet!
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Everyone is getting so worked up over 10 shots of Vodka......I am not young...and I didn't go to college (I was a parent at 19)....but 10 shots of Vodka doesn't seem like much to me....I go out every weekend and drink twice that Friday and Saturday nightS.....eat healthy, drink lots of water in between....DON"T DRIVE....Exercise some extra....

BUT FOLKS....TO EACH HIS OWN....LET'S NOT JUDGE THE GIRL BECAUSE SHE IS BEING HONEST!!!

Enjoy the Vodka Responsibly
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Cannabis is calorie free

:heart: this.

To each their own...

Rock on, have fun, don't sweat the haters. As long you don't turn into a rager thats constantly passed out with the sad empty bottle laying next to you every day...you'll be just fine.
  • SunnyHays
    Options
    Cannabis is calorie free

:heart: this.

To each their own...

Rock on, have fun, don't sweat the haters. As long you don't turn into a rager thats constantly passed out with the sad empty bottle laying next to you every day...you'll be just fine.

That made me giggle!