Arm Exercises For Women: Get Sleek, Sexy Arms

Options

Replies

• Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    All of you on the LIFT HEAVY band wagon - YES, we get you. We know that is the ideal. However, I think you are forgetting that there seem to be a lot of women on here who perhaps have never lifted weights AT ALL. You need to start slowly and work your way up. I've seen too many people try to start with VERY heavy weights, get injured and/or discouraged, and go back to doing NOTHING. I've been lifting for over 20 years, and yes, I started with cans of soup. I'm not ashamed of that, and I am happy to say that I have progressed over the years to heavier and heavier weights, but you have to start somewhere!!!

I just see all the negativity on here and think it's similar to yelling at someone beginning a walking program after being sedentary that they should "skip the baby girly two mile walks" and immediately sign up for a full marathon. Yes, that might be the ideal goal for some people, but in reality they might need a little time to work up to it.

Off my soapbox now.
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump Thanks!
  • 1deze
    1deze Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I so need this!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Doing what you want and doing what works are not always the same thing. This thread is a perfect example. It caters to what women want to hear; not what works.

preach it brother.
  • stephanie_taylor_5678
    Options
    Good to know! :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    All of you on the LIFT HEAVY band wagon - YES, we get you. We know that is the ideal. However, I think you are forgetting that there seem to be a lot of women on here who perhaps have never lifted weights AT ALL. You need to start slowly and work your way up. I've seen too many people try to start with VERY heavy weights, get injured and/or discouraged, and go back to doing NOTHING. I've been lifting for over 20 years, and yes, I started with cans of soup. I'm not ashamed of that, and I am happy to say that I have progressed over the years to heavier and heavier weights, but you have to start somewhere!!!

I just see all the negativity on here and think it's similar to yelling at someone beginning a walking program after being sedentary that they should "skip the baby girly two mile walks" and immediately sign up for a full marathon. Yes, that might be the ideal goal for some people, but in reality they might need a little time to work up to it.

Off my soapbox now.

Just because you can't start heavy does not mean you can't start by doing useful compound lifts, rather than silly isolation workouts and telling people that lifting the lightest thing you can find 45 times will build muscles.

If you want to be able to do something you can't currently do, you have to do the hardest thing you CAN do a handful of times. It's that simple.
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative. It means you're using a weight where the muscle fatigues with less reps.
  • shellrocker12
    shellrocker12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've got a long way to go way my arms. I'll have to give these a try but will be starting out with lighter weights - Thanks for sharing!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Or you could do these exercises with real weights. Unless you're currently really weak, doing most of this with 5 to 8 pounds isn't going to do much.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Or you could do these exercises with real weights. Unless you're currently really weak, doing most of this with 5 to 8 pounds isn't going to do much.

Or even if it is, it's irresponsible of the magazine to try to do a one size fits all approach to how much weight someone should use.
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump
  • momku
    momku Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    Awesome ...need to work on the flabby upper arms.
    Thanks for the info
  • ces921
    ces921 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • frilly7483
    frilly7483 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options