stowens75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Seven....my lucky number
  • lisaleone71
    Options
    Jorra - that is the explanation I was looking for. Thanks!
  • HorrorGeek
    HorrorGeek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    basicmath.jpg

Please restore my faith in humanity...

I know the thing says "comment with your answer only" but I would like that to say "show your work!"

Remember elementary and middle school?

(i apologize if i have brought back repressed memories of creepy math teachers)

Multiply 5*0 first = 0.

9 - 5 +0 +3 = 7

And thank you for this. Today I was stunned when I handed someone $11 cash for a food order that was $10.90. She had to use the calculator to figure out my change. :noway:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

But "maths" should be "math."

Thanks for asking!

It's actually called "maths" in Great Britain. I thought it was weird at first too.

Former math teacher here. It's 7.

Maths, as in "mathematics". We in North America actually are the ones butchering it! Now the big question, what is the derivative of y=9-5+5*0+3?

y = 7
    hence, y' = 0
    Furthermore, int(y) = 7x + C, where C is the arbitrary constant of integration...

Ha ha, ding ding ding! We have a winner. Please come to the front of the room to collect your gold star.

I have a M.S. in pure math. If I don't know my derivatives and the fundamental theorem of calculus while sleeping, you can come smack me in the face.
  • lisaleone71
    Options
    I follow PEMDAS -- There is no P,E, or D. There are only M, A, and S. Please forgive the formatting...
    9-5+5x0+3
    M 5x0 = 0
    9-5+0+3
    A(1) 5+0 = 5
    9-5+3
    A(2) 5+3 = 8
    9-8
    S 9-8 = 1

The people who are getting 7 seem to be implying parentheses around the pairs in order from left to right -- I don't remember that rule from math. I see it more as "9-((5+(5x0))+3)". The people getting 3 are going strict left to right. Like a lot of people answering, I was not a math major, but I would like an explanation as to why I am wrong. In any case, I'm an IT systems analyst and I rely on my developers to 'check the math' in my requirements based on what we're trying to accomplish. :)

The thing that's tricky about PEMDAS is that Addition and Subtraction are on equal standing. When you have both, you do them left to right. (The same is true for multiplication and division.)

Source: I'm a math and science teacher.

Jorra - that was the explanation I was looking for. Thanks!
  • angielautenbach
    angielautenbach Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you use simple math like you learn in elementary school, there is no negative numbers. it would go 9 - 5 = 4 + 5 = 9 X 0 = 0 + 3 = 3. This is why my first anwser was 3. Hmmm
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    any thing times 0 is 0.

THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you use simple math like you learn in elementary school, there is no negative numbers. it would go 9 - 5 = 4 + 5 = 9 X 0 = 0 + 3 = 3. This is why my first anwser was 3. Hmmm

You have to multiply first before you add. This is why this approach is incorrect. Order of operations. See explainations by Jorra and the OP above.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    "These pretzels are makin me thirsty!!"

I'm bad at math...unless there's a shoe sale :bigsmile:
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options

3 would be fine, if the problem read (9-5+5) x 0 + 3

but order of operations means you have to do the problem 9 - 5 + (5 x 0) + 3
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    9-5+5x0+3=

Showing my work...that would be 9-5=4....4+5=9...x0=0....+3 = 3
    My answer is 3....

I'm an elementary teacher and if I can't do this one it means I have been away from teaching math for too too long....Now if you would have thrown some parenthesis in there...I might would have to call up my colleague to walk me throught...lol....
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    7...My Dear Aunt Sally.....
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. In order: Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. I only see Subtraction, Multiplication, and Addition. First do the multiplying, then the adding, then the subtracting.

It's BEDMAS: brackets (or parenthesis if you've learned it like that), exponents, divison and multiplication in the order in which they appear, and then addition and subtraction IN THE ORDER IN WHICH THEY APPEAR. The answer is 7.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    basicmath.jpg

Please restore my faith in humanity...

I know the thing says "comment with your answer only" but I would like that to say "show your work!"

Remember elementary and middle school?

(i apologize if i have brought back repressed memories of creepy math teachers)

Multiply 5*0 first = 0.

9 - 5 +0 +3 = 7

And thank you for this. Today I was stunned when I handed someone $11 cash for a food order that was $10.90. She had to use the calculator to figure out my change. :noway:

Ha. I handed a cashier 3.02 for a 2.57 sale and she looked at me and said "2 cents, that's it?".
  • Meggeler
    Meggeler Posts: 42
    Options
    Huh - 7
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    paranthesis, exponents, multiply or divide, add or subtract.

please excuse my dear aunt sally. lol