Arm Exercises For Women: Get Sleek, Sexy Arms

Options

Replies

• londanfudd4eva
    Options
    From Women's Health Online - emailed article...

Score beautifully toned arms with this muscle-shaping upper-body workout - Jen Ator

Here's something you'll love to learn: Your shoulders and upper back tend to carry less fat than the rest of your body, so the right arm exercises can give this area a nearly instant makeover, says Ramona Braganza, a celebrity trainer who has worked with stars such as Anne Hathaway and Jessica Alba. Braganza's upper-body workout, below, hits every major muscle and will help stabilize your shoulder joints, improve your posture, and build that strong, toned look you're after.

Using five-to eight-pound weights, perform 15 to 20 reps of each exercise and go from one move to the next with little or no rest between. Do two or three sets three times a week.

Move 01
    Reverse Fly

Grab a pair of dumbbells and stand with your feet hip-width apart and your knees bent. Bend forward at the hips and let your arms hang straight down from your shoulders, palms facing. Raise both arms out to the sides as you squeeze your shoulder blades together. Return to start. That's one rep.

Move 02
    Biceps Curl

Hold a pair of dumbbells at your sides, palms facing forward, and keep your back straight and chest up. Without moving your upper arms, bend your elbows and curl the weights toward your shoulders. Slowly lower the weights back to the starting position, straightening your arms completely. That's one rep.

Move 03
    Dumbbell Cross Jab

Stand with your feet a bit wider than hip width and knees slightly bent. Hold the dumbbells at chest height with elbows bent and palms facing each other. Extend your left arm across your body until the weight is in line with your right shoulder. As you return to start, repeat with the right arm. That's one rep.

Move 04
    Lying Triceps Extension

Lie face-up on a bench and hold a pair of dumbbells above your head, arms straight and palms facing each other. Without moving your upper arms, bend your elbows to lower the dumbbells until they are at either side of your head. Pause, then lift the weights back to the starting position. That's one rep.
    wow i so needed this thank u thank u thank u
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Using five-to eight-pound weights, perform 15 to 20 reps of each exercise and go from one move to the next with little or no rest between.

Just read this (decided not to troll as much, you're welcome) and honestly, the other day I did some arm exercises with dumbbells and decided to use 8lb weights since I've been using 5lbs. BAD ****ING IDEA! I did 3 reps, dropped one of the the weights on foot, and politely limped away before I threw the other one into the mirror in front of me.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    heck yes!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think it's strange when men leave endless comments rebutting a post that is actually for women?

I find it particularly strange that 3-5 men keep coming back to say the same exact thing. Concern trolling at its finest.

There's a wide range of responses from smart and fit women on this thread. Thanks dudes, but we're smart enough to figure this out for ourselves.

If this advice was for men, we'd be laughing our *kitten* off because the advice would be ridiculous. But when the exact same advice is put into some article tailored towards women, it' suddenly becomes some accepted and legit.

Why would advice be rejected by men but apparently works for women? Well because it doesn't. Women want to hear that they can "sorta lift weights" and have it be the means to their general goals. They also want to hear that they don't have to do the bigger main lifts in order to "tone up". Well it won't work. At the very least, you'd have to really get your diet on point. THAT would do MUCH more than these so called toning exercises

I missed the earlier posts, but I see nothing wrong with the advice. I was heavily into weight training for some time and have been away from it for a long time now (I'm a woman thank you).

In fact, yesterday, I started some light exercises with 8 lb dumbbells and today I'm actually a little sore. I also did 1.5 pushups. yes, my upper body strength is lacking, but I have fantastic biceps.I build muscle quite easily but I still have a lot of weight to lose.

I didn't read anyone on here who believes that you get in shape withOUT watching your food intake. That's why we're all here. So I'm not sure I see the problem. At all.
  • IslandJade22
    Options
    Bump
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Doing what you want and doing what works are not always the same thing. This thread is a perfect example. It caters to what women want to hear; not what works.

preach it brother.

Groan. Is this the "no pain, no gain" school? Some people can actually look buff by walking and doing light weights. Someday, I'll take a picture of my fantastically shaped, ripped calves and post them here. I have done nothing to deserve them other than play soccer for 10 years as a kid, ride bicycles throughout my life, and engage in weight training some years ago. They're still amazing at 48.

It's genetic possibly. My legs are as strong as anyone's, even when the muscles atrophy, but most people wouldn't believe it, so it's just my secret.

The point is, do what works. It happens that for some of us, light weights are fine. Ciao ciao.
  • ladyplaz
    ladyplaz Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • mjohn54
    mjohn54 Posts: 3
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but what does it mean when people write 'bump' as a comment?
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    All of you on the LIFT HEAVY band wagon - YES, we get you. We know that is the ideal. However, I think you are forgetting that there seem to be a lot of women on here who perhaps have never lifted weights AT ALL. You need to start slowly and work your way up. I've seen too many people try to start with VERY heavy weights, get injured and/or discouraged, and go back to doing NOTHING. I've been lifting for over 20 years, and yes, I started with cans of soup. I'm not ashamed of that, and I am happy to say that I have progressed over the years to heavier and heavier weights, but you have to start somewhere!!!

I just see all the negativity on here and think it's similar to yelling at someone beginning a walking program after being sedentary that they should "skip the baby girly two mile walks" and immediately sign up for a full marathon. Yes, that might be the ideal goal for some people, but in reality they might need a little time to work up to it.

Off my soapbox now.
    this
  • countrywildflower
    countrywildflower Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    gotta try these. been looking for some arm exercises. thank u for posting this.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think it's strange when men leave endless comments rebutting a post that is actually for women?

I find it particularly strange that 3-5 men keep coming back to say the same exact thing. Concern trolling at its finest.

There's a wide range of responses from smart and fit women on this thread. Thanks dudes, but we're smart enough to figure this out for ourselves.

If this advice was for men, we'd be laughing our *kitten* off because the advice would be ridiculous. But when the exact same advice is put into some article tailored towards women, it' suddenly becomes some accepted and legit.

Why would advice be rejected by men but apparently works for women? Well because it doesn't. Women want to hear that they can "sorta lift weights" and have it be the means to their general goals. They also want to hear that they don't have to do the bigger main lifts in order to "tone up". Well it won't work. At the very least, you'd have to really get your diet on point. THAT would do MUCH more than these so called toning exercises

In fact, yesterday, I started some light exercises with 8 lb dumbbells and today I'm actually a little sore. I also did 1.5 pushups. yes, my upper body strength is lacking, but I have fantastic biceps.I build muscle quite easily but I still have a lot of weight to lose.

That's good that you're doing a challenging weight for your particular strength level, however, saying 5-8 pounds for all women is irresponsible because everyone will have different strength levels and so while 5-8 lb. dumbbells may be challenging and the proper weight for some, it may be nothing for others; or could even be too much for a few. It all depends a lot on what exercise is being done. Addressing just this article let's say. I can do Lying Tri Extensions with more weight than I can do Curls. Why would I use the same weight for both?

Then there is the argument of high reps and low reps. High reps tend to train you to be able to gain endurance. There's this constant bull**** being thrown at women over the years that doing lower reps with higher weights will make them look "bulky", but if they use less weight for lots of reps that will somehow "tone" the muscle. Toning seems to be synonymous to spot reduction (losing fat from one specific area because an exercise targeting those muscles is performed); spot reduction is a myth.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but what does it mean when people write 'bump' as a comment?
    1. so the thread can go back to the top
    2. so they can save it in their "My Topics" can come back to it easier
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

That's good that you're doing a challenging weight for your particular strength level, however, saying 5-8 pounds for all women is irresponsible because everyone will have different strength levels and so while 5-8 lb. dumbbells may be challenging and the proper weight for some, it may be nothing for others; or could even be too much for a few. It all depends a lot on what exercise is being done. Addressing just this article let's say. I can do Lying Tri Extensions with more weight than I can do Curls. Why would I use the same weight for both?

Then there is the argument of high reps and low reps. High reps tend to train you to be able to gain endurance. There's this constant bull**** being thrown at women over the years that doing lower reps with higher weights will make them look "bulky", but if they use less weight for lots of reps that will somehow "tone" the muscle. Toning seems to be synonymous to spot reduction (losing fat from one specific area because an exercise targeting those muscles is performed); spot reduction is a myth.
    Pretty sure any smart woman would know that if they can't feel the weights doing anything after 20 reps that they should probably up the weights. I mean I knew this before I even knew what lifting was.

But then again you can't expect a lot from some people so oh well...
  • nvrider
    nvrider Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found these exercises on a YouTube video, which helps me a lot to visualize v. reading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC4lst9IW24
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing! Thank you for posting this! Blessings!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

Pretty sure any smart woman would know that if they can't feel the weights doing anything after 20 reps that they should probably up the weights. I mean I knew this before I even knew what lifting was.

But then again you can't expect a lot from some people so oh well...

That's not mentioned in many of these little workout articles though and it's irresponsible. Also, there's the whole high rep/low rep thing that I'm not going to repeat for the thousandth time because it's been beaten to death on these forums now.
  • Queen2day
    Queen2day Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    seriously??? if the original intent of the post (which was from me) was to give suggestions on HOW TO GET STARTED with a few weights than i was successful...i have dumbbells in my office and occasionally dig out this kind of workout to get some "extra" movement completed.....it is not the end all be all to lifting??? will it work with nothing else added?? NOOOOOOO of course not...

i hadn't really looked at this thread since i posted the exercises a year ago but noticed it had been popping back into my topics so i took a look...i was quite surprised to find so many negative comments here....i get the suggestions to mix up the lifting...i get the suggestions to vary the weights....i get the suggestions to try other moves BUT come on.....can we not just have people be supportive of other people's suggestions without being so freaking negative.....seriously get a grip....and by the way i'm doing NROLFW twice a week and am seeing great results but i think that using "these" exercises on the side will not set me or my program back a decade.....be helpful or move on...

ps - some people dont have access to all the weights or machines or equipment for "compound moves" and at that point SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING...
    well this sets the women strength training movement back about a decade....
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Do you really think they would put advice like this in a men's magazine?

Why wouldn't they? If it's your contention that it's good advice.

I think it's a bad idea for any magazine given what they say it's supposed to accomplish.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

ps - some people dont have access to all the weights or machines or equipment for "compound moves" and at that point SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING...
    well this sets the women strength training movement back about a decade....

A compound movement can be done with bodyweight and nothing more. So I'm pretty sure that's not true.