? for Runners that don't believe in wearing shirt b4 earned

Options

Replies

• Crimson_
    Crimson_ Posts: 60
    Options
    Seems WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

yea its a freakin shirt....heck i bought shirts at thrift stores that were for other runs and i wear them and i never even HEARD of the cause, but who cares, wear it if it fits, when you want and how you want.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I have a shirt for a 70.3 that I sure as heck didn't complete, but I did volunteer an entire day of my life, and that shirt was my thank-you for doing so. I wear it all the time, but I'm pretty sure people seeing me in it don't think I did the race. :laugh: Never gave a thought to wearing it, to be honest. You give it to me, I wear it. :wink:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've never received a shirt for a race until race day. I'd feel like a complete tool wearing a race shirt to the race I'm doing that day, or a concert tee at a show as I'm walking away from the booth. I always wait until the next day to wear my newly acquired awesome apparel.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Just recently I wasn't able to make a race due to a stress fracture in my 1st metatarsal. It was for a charity that I paid the entry fee and received a shirt. I figure that I donated to a good cause and got a shirt. Felt bad I didn't make the run but I know the money went to a good cause. And I am going to wear the shirt. Its just a shirt.
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should wear the shirt unless they win the race.

That's how those races work, right? If you come in first, you get to wear the shirt?

Yup. And Mr. or Ms. Last Place has to get naked on the spot.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Isn't wearing the shirt at any time good promotion for the cause?

+1 If you're running for charity, donating to charity, or raising money for charity...it's the CAUSE that matters most. Running snobbery aside for this one.
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i would think the charity/event would appreciate the exposure...
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

^This. It's a t-shirt not a gold medal.
  • Crimson_
    Crimson_ Posts: 60
    Options
    I have a shirt for a 70.3 that I sure as heck didn't complete, but I did volunteer an entire day of my life, and that shirt was my thank-you for doing so. I wear it all the time, but I'm pretty sure people seeing me in it don't think I did the race. :laugh: Never gave a thought to wearing it, to be honest. You give it to me, I wear it. :wink:

indeed there are many ways you support the event other than running...or walking w/e
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should wear the shirt unless they win the race.

That's how those races work, right? If you come in first, you get to wear the shirt?

Yup. And Mr. or Ms. Last Place has to get naked on the spot.

Uh oh...if I knew that, I would not have signed up for a Half. I just might be the official last finisher, but at least no one will be around to see my nekkid azz. Plus it might be after dusk by then... :laugh:

- - -
    ETA: This has been interesting thread for me, b/c I have given an old race shirt to Goodwill. I liked it, I liked the cause, but it was just too small for me...now some thiftstore hipster is wearing my old race shirt...or a natural disaster victim...:flowerforyou:
    OP sorry I was not very helpful...
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I guess if you're gonna' feel weird about wearing the shirt then just donate money and tell them you don't want the shirt. I'm pretty sure they'll have no problem taking your money.
  • lightnda
    lightnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If I run a long race and I have been training for the race then I will do trainign runs in the shirt/vest I have been given to wear. The key reason for this is that you need to know whether it rubs, whether you get hot, so you know what to expect in the race.

I don't really wear the shirts once I;ve raced anyway. I have enough gym gear to get me through without wearing kit that isn't something that I've actually picked myself.

As for others that wear them without having done the race, I think that's a little sad, but I would assume they had some sort of participation in the event. And if they didn't, well they know they don't deserve it and haven't done the hard miles.

Remember, even the slowest runner is lapping those on the couch.

Dave.
  • tina_fay
    tina_fay Posts: 30
    Options
    I have noticed that race directors are trying to get non runners to register as a non runner, just to sell more t-shirts...the money goes to a good cause, so they are really pushing for more "sales". I think it's a great idea! Wear your shirt whenever you're ready to. A tshirt to some is about pride, and rightfully so...it's a great accomplishment and the tshirt lets everyone know you were a part of the race...whether as a runner, spectator, volunteer or otherwise. They can be great conversation pieces too :)
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If they are giving the shirts away to anyone who makes a donation, then they are *intentionally* giving the shirt to people who don't even intend to run, right? Sounds to me like this shirt has nothing to do with actually running the race, it's just a promotional tool. Wear it.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Well never wear the race shirt DURING the race... personally the shirts never fit me and I just have a stack of them in my closet. I had to miss a race this December - I kept the shirt but will never wear it.

They usually have shirts that say 'marathon', 'half', 'relay' or 'volunteer' on them.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You paid for the shirt. You can wear it if you want to.

this
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For me the exception is charity events - every year I take part in a 100km bike ride that's a fundraiser for cancer research and all (or at least 99%) of the riders wear the event jersey on the day of the ride. Similarly I've done a couple of charity runs where the etiquette has been to wear the shirt on race day.

A normal race event (if there is such a thing as normal in the world of running) I'll wear my shirt from the previous year or my club gear. But you'll see lots of runners decked out in the race t-shirt at almost any event; to each their own.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Seriously? It is a T-SHIRT...

I'd think there are more important things to focus on than worrying that someone might be wearing a t-shirt that they didn't actually "run" in.

^this!
  • nanegan
    nanegan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine if I finish the race, especially an Ironman or 1/2 Ironman race. Unless the shirt says contributor or volunteer, it needs to be earned (just my opinion).
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    No class of humans are more pretentious than RUNNERS.

You do the easiest activity possible next to walking!