? for Runners that don't believe in wearing shirt b4 earned

Options

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I never wear my race shirt until after i complete. But thats only bc i NEVER race in something new.. I have to know how it fits, how comfortable it is for long races and all that good stuff. Must race in something that is proven for comfort!! =)
    I mostly race for race T-shirts tho hahaha i live for my race shirts!
    95% of people i see race wear the t-shirt that was given at purchase of the race. I haven't ever heard that you shouldn't wear the t-shirt prior to completing. Thats a new one to me.
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a Skynyrd shirt for a tour that I didn't go to. Guess I need to take that one back to the thrift store. Damn.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should wear the shirt unless they win the race.

That's how those races work, right? If you come in first, you get to wear the shirt?

Yup. And Mr. or Ms. Last Place has to get naked on the spot.

I would so want to run in this race . . .
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine if I finish the race, especially an Ironman or 1/2 Ironman race. Unless the shirt says contributor or volunteer, it needs to be earned (just my opinion).

I'm guessing the charities whose races you run in are bigger and do separate shirts for each, but the smaller, less heard of causes don't always do that, because it is cheaper/easier to make all the same print shirt, therefore more money to go to the cause and awareness.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    No class of humans are more pretentious than RUNNERS.

You do the easiest activity possible next to walking!

Come on - our sport is other sport's punishment.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Seems WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm with him ^^
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    They give you the shirt to wear during the race. Of course most shirts are cotton and aren't very good to wear. Most high end races are giving out technical shirts which unless they say "Finisher" on them are totally acceptable to wear.

I'm with him, if the shirt does not say finisher then I see no reason not to wear it, but if it does say finisher I'd have an issue with wearing it if I didn't do the race.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    Have you never met a road cyclist?
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You earned the shirt by paying the entry fee.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I say do what you want, don't judge others for their decisions, relax, take a deeeeep breath and and try some meditation. You seem stressed. :flowerforyou:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    Have you never met a road cyclist?

Hands down, we road cyclists are the biggest group of douche-bags ever!

In response to the OP, I wouldn't wear a shirt for an event i didn't run. If it says "finisher" on it, i won't buy it until after the race. I was po'd that all the "finisher" shirts at R'n'R Vegas sold out at the expo. I also will not wear the event shirt during the event. That bush league, bush! Wear a different shirt and promote another event.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    So...if someone does not play for an NFL team should they not wear an NFL jersey?

Absolutely. Unless you're on the team or are 12 years old there is no good reason to wear an NFL jersey. If it has someone's name other than yours on it you're an even bigger tool.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So...if someone does not play for an NFL team should they not wear an NFL jersey?

Absolutely. Unless you're on the team or are 12 years old there is no good reason to wear an NFL jersey. If it has someone's name other than yours on it you're an even bigger tool.

Lol...just for the record I don't have any NFL jerseys...I was just posing another ridiculous question in an already ridiculous thread.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    personally, i don't see the dilemma. the charity is giving the shirt out for making a donation = they are hoping people wear it (who 'earned' it by paying for it). :)

i have several shirts i earned only through paying for them (i send money to every prostate cancer race i know about) and i wear them with pride, even if they aren't earned with racing. i have had tourists come up to me when i was wearing one because the event was in their hometown and they had never heard of it. the power of advertising.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    whoa... some of you people are just darn mean. i posted a topic that was just a question and if you are telling me its a waste of time to think of then why did you reply. Calm it down, no need to judge me or be mean. I asked the question to people that believe in that theory and made that clear as in "question for runners that don't believe in tshirt before earned". I learned the theory from fellow runners and the question was directed to them. Go be negative somewhere else.

Thanks to those that weren't mean and gave real answers since I posted this question after a friend suggested I do so.
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I only started running in September and have only run 2 events but agree that it is better to earn the shirt.

My race day shirt is a Team Parkinson's jersey that is not linked to any particular event, just the cause.

I'd either tell the charity to keep the full donation, or drop off the event shirt at a homeless shelter the next time I'm dropping off running shoes.
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    First world problem.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I hated the last 10k I ran, when after the race, the next day, I saw on facebook they were selling the shirts to anyone. I understand that the guy who put together the race was stuck with a stack of tshirts and wanted to get rid of them. And, it all went to charity, so it's ok. But, I felt a little cheated.

I don't know, I agree that it's kind of a silly thing to worry about. But, if I see someone wearing one of those shirts, I can't be certain that they earned it. So, it takes the prestige away from it. If it's a shirt that you have to earn to wear, it means something if you see someone walking down the street with it. I know it's silly, but is everything only about money anymore? Is there not a way to just throw away the extras by only ordering shirts for those that sign up, so if you have extras, that means people paid, but didn't show, and therefore, no shirt for them?
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I hated the last 10k I ran, when after the race, the next day, I saw on facebook they were selling the shirts to anyone. I understand that the guy who put together the race was stuck with a stack of tshirts and wanted to get rid of them. And, it all went to charity, so it's ok. But, I felt a little cheated.

I don't know, I agree that it's kind of a silly thing to worry about. But, if I see someone wearing one of those shirts, I can't be certain that they earned it. So, it takes the prestige away from it. If it's a shirt that you have to earn to wear, it means something if you see someone walking down the street with it. I know it's silly, but is everything only about money anymore? Is there not a way to just throw away the extras by only ordering shirts for those that sign up, so if you have extras, that means people paid, but didn't show, and therefore, no shirt for them?

10k... serious business.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

10k... serious business.

ikr?