running shirtless and short shorts

Options

Replies

• lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Also depends where you live. In Alberta it's really common to see a man running shirtless and short shorts are unfortunately also pretty common here for men.

When you say short shorts how long is that?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    At what point in fitness is it OK for a guy to run shirtless. Its pretty hot here in Bahrain and I figured I would try to get a little bit of a tan so I was running shirtless and got a lot of weird looks. How fit do you need to be for this to be OK?
    The second is running shorts. I've started to buy shorter running shorts ( about mid thigh) because they are far more comfortable and often have a liner with a little support for the boys. Guys usually tease me for these but what do you ladies think? My wife seems to like them!:smile:

Even if the guy is SUPER sexy Brad Pitt hot, I still don't want to see him topless unless it's in the bedroom or at a designated topless place like the beach or pool. There is just something so unneccesary and uncomfortable about it....we live in a SOCIETY, and it is approriate to wear shirts at almost all public places. Have some modesty and save it for that special lady, no matter HOW HOT you are. :happy:

And for the record it's NOT less hot temperature wise to wear less clothes, large billowy clothes actually keep you cooler if you want to get technical. AND WOMEN HAVE TO WEAR SHIRTS so SUCK IT UP and don't use the "but it's cooler without a top" excuse. :wink:

I think short shorts are a bit weird due to cultural norms, however if someone is wearing them running and is obviously a runner, I assume they are wearing them BECAUSE they are better for running and so I don't give it a second thought. However, if you are wearing them to the gym and I can see your junk when you are lifting....NOT COOL.:grumble:

You also live in a society where it's acceptable for men to be shirtless. And, the side of the road, track, sidewalk aren't places that require shirts.

It just feels better as well.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Also depends where you live. In Alberta it's really common to see a man running shirtless and short shorts are unfortunately also pretty common here for men.

Short. Like.. 3 quarters of thigh showing.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    Alright this is really just a conversation for fun. There a two things I want to discuss. The first is running shirtless. At what point in fitness is it OK for a guy to run shirtless. Its pretty hot here in Bahrain and I figured I would try to get a little bit of a tan so I was running shirtless and got a lot of weird looks. How fit do you need to be for this to be OK?
    The second is running shorts. I've started to buy shorter running shorts ( about mid thigh) because they are far more comfortable and often have a liner with a little support for the boys. Guys usually tease me for these but what do you ladies think? My wife seems to like them!:smile:

from your dp, you are at that point where you can run shirtless and short shorts are the best ;)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what people wear. Bonus if they look good wearing (or not wearing) it. :bigsmile:
  • nikki_1979
    Options
    If a guy is fit and wants to run without a shirt, perfectly alright by me. Adds to the scenic appeal of the neighborhood.

But short shorts.... horrible. Like Richard Simmons short? It just makes me laugh.

I remember when I was little my dad had a bunch of cut off jean shorts really short for fishing so it wouldn't give him a farmer's tan. Like cut off so short you could see the pocket linings hanging out the back. I remember my great grandmother taking every pair of them, putting them in a barrel, and burning them. Wasteful? maybe... but it saved the rest of us from the atrocity! and yes, he wore them shirtless, and my dad was fit at the time and still eww on the shorts.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I finally picked up two near pairs of Nike dri-fit shorts. I'd been using the same bulky/bigger UA/Nike/Adidas shorts since I started working out. They're above my knee by an inch or so, not short short. but they're so much better to run/gym in.

I'll buy a few more pairs.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I go jogging in my nike pro combat shorts which are extremely short and a sports bra when its hot. Which, in Texas, is VERY often. Its far too hot here to even think about wearing a shirt in the summer if you are out running. Thats like asking for death. I am naturally tan so I don't burn easily... So maybe white people would rather die of heat stroke before dying a flaming skin death sentence.... But for me, No shirt. I do get stared at alot but thats just because I am a female running in a sports bra and short shorts.

I love it when I see guy running around with their shirts off... makes me want to chase them around and grab their butts! He he he
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I love it when I see guy running around with their shirts off... makes me want to chase them around and grab their butts! He he he

^^^^^^^^^^

For this...I might be willing to break my rule of 'no running unless something bigger and a HELL of a lot meaner than I am is chasing me'.

Mhmm.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Did you know that where I live they passed a law that allows women to go around topless!! As long as it is a non-sexual way. So I wonder how that'd look with my big gals bouncing up and down while I jog down a heavy traffic area lol

I can only think of one thing..... OUCH!
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Did you know that where I live they passed a law that allows women to go around topless!! As long as it is a non-sexual way. So I wonder how that'd look with my big gals bouncing up and down while I jog down a heavy traffic area lol
    I don't know because I'm a guy, but that seems like it would be really uncomfortable to run that way for women....

It'd be soooo uncomfortable.
    That's what I thought. Lol. Sounds painful!

I haven't tried. And I'm sure it IS painful. But it's nice to know we have options lolol.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Alright this is really just a conversation for fun. There a two things I want to discuss. The first is running shirtless. At what point in fitness is it OK for a guy to run shirtless. Its pretty hot here in Bahrain and I figured I would try to get a little bit of a tan so I was running shirtless and got a lot of weird looks. How fit do you need to be for this to be OK?
    Over the last 3 weeks or so the temps have pretty much stayed in the 70's & 80's here in PA. and since the guys have started running and working out shirtless or wearing their tight Under Armor muscle shirts and the girls have been wearing their Nike sports bra's and those Nike combat cvt booty shorts ( not that im complaining) But I personally dont feel comfortable working out in revealing clothes ( I guess I still have the mindset that im too fat to dress like that to work out) and dress completely covered up to work out.
    zzzs.jpg
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    People who say you shouldn't wear short shorts and you should keep your shirt on are clearly not runners. Do whatever you want. It's completely normal and acceptable for guys to run shirtless. Women can run in their sports bras. Hey, if you're confident enough to do it, then do it! I personally don't usually take my tank top off, but I live up in Wisconsin so it usually doesn't get that hot.

Also guys can wear short shorts too. It's actually akward to see a guy running in basketball shorts.... I take one look at them and laugh ;)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

And a little tip? :wink:
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options

And a little tip? :wink:

lol might as well be.
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    I think people have differing opinions on what's short shorts.

There are some running shorts that are excessively short, and I think that's pushing it.

Typically running shorts are little shorter than normal & mostly just b/c people who exercise have smaller waists...

The running shorts that look like Basketball shorts are just flat out stupid!, and clearly aren't for people who do are form of real milage...
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Is it culturally acceptable to run shirtless in Bahrain? I think Islamic countries might value modesty more than Americans/Europeans, for men as well as women, but I could be wrong.

You have a good looking upper body in your profile pic, I don't think people were giving you wierd looks because of your body type.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Probably should consider the custom in your host country first, then it should be personal preference. UA has some strange customs/limitations.. mostly for women, I guess.

I don't think it's customary to have your ding-a-ling a dingin' in any country.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ya, everyone's gonna say "who cares what people think" but I don't think he wants to hear that, if you have a big, fat belly and everything is jiggling around, then please wear a shirt unless you like chuckles and stares.......as far as the shorts, runner's shorts are fine, I don't think the casual one's u guys wear that are to the knee practically is appropriate.......