i can't believe i'm writing this ... ppl w/ tattoos

Options

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    my ex boyfriend got a fruit stripes zebra tattooed on his chest........kind of thought it was awesome ;D
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    some do some dont...ehh
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    mine suck but i thought they where cool when i got the my first is donald duck in a devils out fit my second is a cat face because i love cats and the third is my nick name. but what can i say you only live once
  • cnt21811
    cnt21811 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Some do, some don't. People who don't have any shouldn't bother talking to me about it.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My husband is a tattoo artist and we have this discussion all the time. I have a mixture. The tattoos for my kids mean something. But I also have a Cthulhu cupcake, a tea pot, a coffee pot, a zombie librarian, an owl, and a black pegasus. The pegasus is something me and my college friends all got, but everything else came from the good ole imagination and it just expresses personality (yes, I am weird).

I think there are two extremes: folks who get crappy, bull**** tattoos just because (my husband said he will scream if he gets one more chick wanting stars on her foot) and then you have people wanting tattoos that are smallish put have a lot of elements and MEAN SOMETHING. I say, keep 'em guessing.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    <
    Larger one is family crest. Smaller ones are Japanese for strength and prosperity.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I got three, a phoenix tattoo (when I lost 100 lbs) it has some meaning granted generic meaning, I have a black sun below that my first tattoo, I really just like the way it looked. I told my parents it was because I always felt like the blacksheep in the family, just to piss them off. I have my favorite baseball team logo on my other arm, no real meaning just I like the Redsox. I guess they kind of have meaning but not all of them. WHo cares is what I say if you like it, get it.
  • miss_marple
    Options
    A few of mine having meaning, but not really. I got them as a pick me up for a few of them. I agree that they can be pretty and don't have to mean something and for the "haters" they can hate. It's not their body, and I'm okay living with them for the rest of my life since I love them all. And that's all that matters.

I approve of your conversation in the running store.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think people say that because the more it means to you, the less likely you are to regret it. So many people go in just to get a tatto or because they think something looks "cool," then to turn around and hate it as the years pass and regret getting it.

Not everyone is like that, but a lot of people are, so I think people just try to give advice out of their own tattoo mistakes.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    mine means: I'm a young rebellious girl! #uck yeah! A rebellious 90s chick!
  • Masachapa
    Masachapa Posts: 79
    Options
    I have a very risque pin-up girl style tattoo of my wife on my left shoulder/bicep. I wanted to show off just how incredibly hot looking she is. My other three are just things that I thought looked cool.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i agree you don't need a meaning
    it can be just a piece of art to put on the canvas of your body

i just recommend when people come up with an idea to hold off a while before they get in case they change their mind...but if they don't take my advice... meh! it's their body not mine
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    The rest of my full back piece is being drawn up and I go in may to approve it. It has 7 flowers that have significant meaning and a few other things. It'll also have a dagger, gypsy skull and banner that really mean nothing...they just looked nice. I have leopard print in it as well which has no meaning. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think they have to have meaning at all. I love traditional, sailor Jerry type tattoos which really have no meaning but they look awesome.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I got the molecular structure of LSD tattooed on my lower back because every time I see it, it'll remind me of all the amazing and fun times I've had/I've yet to have on acid :3
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Some of mine mean something, some don't. But when I look them, I'm reminded of what was going on in my life, what I feeling and what made me decide to get that tattoo at that point in time. And thats one of big reasons I love tattoos!
  • babycakes814
    Options
    I have a rose with a butterfly on my chest and an ivy vine around my bicep..they are pretty and mean nothing lol
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i've drawn all my own tattoos,

the dragonfly tattoo on my upper arm if for my little girl, my husband and i decided butterflies were her thing when we went on vacation shortly after finding out we were pregnant with a little girl, and we ended up getting RAIDED with dragonflies on the beach1 hahaha

my chest piece is a rose with a tiger lily on each side, to signifiy my little sister (rose) protected by my brother (blue lily) and me (purple lily)

i have a rainbow peace sign on the back of my neck for 'living in peace, between gays and straights'

and the key to my heart down my sternum.

but i'm not cool hahahah
    i just to try and scribble what i want, and then my artist makes them beautiful!
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Mine either mark a milestone in my life, or represent family, or both. Then again, I didn't start collecting them until I was in my 40's, so even though I love them, none of mine are purely there for the artistic value.

That being said...a well executed tat is a thing of beauty! Enjoy yours, and the hell with what anyone else thinks!
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Another thing... I think women get more of the "why" and "what does it mean questions." Dudes are just viewed as being bad@ss. Gender stereotypes against heavily tattooed women suck. Although i do love it when people spend the PTA meeting looking at my arms (hehehehehehehe)
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    a zombie librarian
    That's hot and creepy at the same time. Well done.