Placenta Eating (DO NOT MOD)

Options

Replies

• clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There are ladies that will do this for you in your own kitchen and home - I found out about it with my daughter but just could not afford it unfortunately. I think the lady that I found did it in tablet form...
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This post just shows how women's natural reproductive choices become something for others to judge.

I would take my placenta in pill form- it's natural and it comes from MY body, and is tailor-made for me.
  • PanzaDiaries
    Options
    [/quote]

I see something wrong with it because it just helps those con artists that are just trying to separate people from their money.
    [/quote]

Wow, judge much?
  • koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    it is not tailor made for YOU it's tailor made for the BABY! I work in obstetrics and I have never heard of this placenta encapsulation thing, is this an american thing? where I work, we throw all the placentas in a freezer and once we have a few they get discarded to the incinerator together. We get maybe 1 person in a year ask to keep their placenta for planting a tree with, more of a symbol for the baby than anything. all this talk of eating the placenta, I'm wondering why no one thinks if it is to be eaten than why is it the mother who eats it and not give it to her baby as it was made for them and they were the ones grown in it, it is not one of the mother's "organs" it forms from the egg and sperm fertilization process. It is part of your baby not you!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm breast feeding. . . But when you breast feed in public people stare and stare and make comments like its wrong. . . I don't think its taboo. I'm just trying to say that most people (that dont have kids, or have kids and never Breast feed, or men) find it odd that a woman pulls out her boob to feed her child in public. At least thats how it is in chicago. . .

People are just so ridiculous. If I had a child, we were out in a public place and it needed to EAT then yes - I would wack it out there and then! Stuff what everyone else thinks, I hope they have nightmares over it. Idiots.

Like letitia75 said - it's possible to breast feed without baring your breasts. I suspect if more women were modest about it there would be fewer people objecting to it. I know it's natural and I have no problem with it, but I have to admit I'm a bit disturbed by women who whip it out in public and don't cover up in any way. (And just to go on record - I am female)

As for the placenta eating - ick, no thank you. As I understand it, the placenta is a filter organ. One of the things it does is handling fetal waste. Why would you want to ingest that?

I just find it such a shame that society has completely changed something that's natural into something unnatural. Everyone's entitled to feel how they feel about things. I suppose it's because breasts are seen as just sexual now rather than as something to feed babies with? No wonder people feel uncomfortable in that case..
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    To each their own, and yeah, it may be natural and all that, but I could never do it. I have a hard enough time eating meat that comes from an animal, let alone stuff that I grew inside of me.

that was my thought... people have said there is benifits to drinking your own pee....... im just thinking this isnt popular around the world... this is a USA thing for now...

Yes, a LOT of people drink their own urine. It is sterile.....

There is a Mexican Boxer that is widely known for drinking his own urine.

As someone else mentioned, we are still animals. Just because we get up and put clothes and shoes on and drive vehicles still doesn't make us very much different than any other animal in this huge kingdom.

Except humans are the only animal that is destroying the environment and the earth............for an animal that has such a High IQ, we are really stupid.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I'm breast feeding. . . But when you breast feed in public people stare and stare and make comments like its wrong. . . I don't think its taboo. I'm just trying to say that most people (that dont have kids, or have kids and never Breast feed, or men) find it odd that a woman pulls out her boob to feed her child in public. At least thats how it is in chicago. . .

People are just so ridiculous. If I had a child, we were out in a public place and it needed to EAT then yes - I would wack it out there and then! Stuff what everyone else thinks, I hope they have nightmares over it. Idiots.

Like letitia75 said - it's possible to breast feed without baring your breasts. I suspect if more women were modest about it there would be fewer people objecting to it. I know it's natural and I have no problem with it, but I have to admit I'm a bit disturbed by women who whip it out in public and don't cover up in any way. (And just to go on record - I am female)

As for the placenta eating - ick, no thank you. As I understand it, the placenta is a filter organ. One of the things it does is handling fetal waste. Why would you want to ingest that?

Filter organs due just that. Filter what ever waste it is filtering and separates to go 2 separate ways. People eat liver from several different animals, it is also a filter organ.

Most of the filter organs are the most nutritious and they are cleaner than the meat and fat that is on the regular cuts of meat that most people consume.

And for those saying breast feeding isn't taboo? Um, yes it is quickly becoming taboo. Most Dr's ask what kind of formula the mother is going to feed and hardly even ask if a mother-to-be is going to breast feed.

It is a shame what our society has evolved into.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Well for example I had a client (I'm a doula by the way, professional labor support and childbirth educator) who suffered from severe postpartum depression after the birth of her first baby. She also had issues with her milk supply and gave up breastfeeding within the first month. This pregnancy she did not want to have to take antidepressants or use formula so she did some research and contacted me. I was her doula for her birth and I also encapsulated her placenta. Her husband will tell you that she reacted completely different with this postpartum period. She had tons of energy and she never showed signs of depression. Best of all, to date, she has such a great milk supply that she has donated over 900 oz of milk to two local mothers who could not produce enough milk for their babies.

While I am sure this is true, I don't know how related it was to the eating of the placenta.
    My mom had postpartum badly with my sister, and none with me. Every pregnancy is different, and everyone's postpartum is different with each pregnancy. Some women have a good milk supply one pregnancy and none the next. I'm still not convinced eating the placenta had anything to do with this.

True but when I see it client after client I can't ignore it. I see a very distinct difference in moms who do PE and those that don't. Not in every case mind you but pretty frequently. Moms with PE have a shorter healing time and milk tends to come in faster and in larger quantities, and "baby blues" are seldom an issue. Ask me for studies and I can't provide much but I see it so I believe in the benefits.

How much does it generally cost? I am 17w5d pregnant, and I am open to this being accurate, but still get the 'gross out' factor. I will have to ask my doctor more about it and others who have experienced it.

Why on earth would you waste that money to get the nutritional value you could probably gain from a cow's liver. Don't be a sucker. It's just waste material. Animals eat it to keep predators away from their dens and their newborns. You have that problem? NO. Try not to be foolish.

Animals (in which humans are animals) eat their placenta for nutrition, not to keep predators away from the den.

And placenta is REVERED in many societies around the world, so it definitely should NOT be taboo.

Americans in particular are very ridiculous in their thinking.

It is also widely used in Chinese medicine.

The placenta contains high levels of prostaglandin which stimulates involution (an inward curvature or penetration, or, a shrinking or return to a former size) of the uterus, in effect cleaning the uterus out. The placenta also contains small amounts of oxytocin which eases birth stress and causes the smooth muscles around the mammary cells to contract and eject milk

I guess those of you that have issues and say you would never eat placenta don't mind using it in your facial moisturizer, shampoo, soaps, and other cosmetic items you probably have lying on your vanity or in your bathroom.

SMH
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Eggs are (usually) not fertilized chicken fetuses. They are (usually) unfertilized and fetus-free.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Eggs are (usually) not fertilized chicken fetuses. They are (usually) unfertilized and fetus-free.
    Thanks, I was about to say that. This is one of my pet peeves.
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I have kids, I definitely plan to take it in capsule form, I don't think I could stomach actually eating it. I think it's beneficial for both mom and the baby, so why not.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was about to say that. This is one of my pet peeves.

Thank you both. You beat me to it. And it's not a chicken placenta either. Chickens aren't mammals.

And for the record....not all animals eat their placenta. Horses sure don't. And they probably have the fastest recovery of any animal on the planet (just guessing, so feel free to correct me). Their babies are ready to run in a couple of hours, and I've only had a couple mares ever deal with PPD. :laugh:
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Well for example I had a client (I'm a doula by the way, professional labor support and childbirth educator) who suffered from severe postpartum depression after the birth of her first baby. She also had issues with her milk supply and gave up breastfeeding within the first month. This pregnancy she did not want to have to take antidepressants or use formula so she did some research and contacted me. I was her doula for her birth and I also encapsulated her placenta. Her husband will tell you that she reacted completely different with this postpartum period. She had tons of energy and she never showed signs of depression. Best of all, to date, she has such a great milk supply that she has donated over 900 oz of milk to two local mothers who could not produce enough milk for their babies.

While I am sure this is true, I don't know how related it was to the eating of the placenta.
    My mom had postpartum badly with my sister, and none with me. Every pregnancy is different, and everyone's postpartum is different with each pregnancy. Some women have a good milk supply one pregnancy and none the next. I'm still not convinced eating the placenta had anything to do with this.

True but when I see it client after client I can't ignore it. I see a very distinct difference in moms who do PE and those that don't. Not in every case mind you but pretty frequently. Moms with PE have a shorter healing time and milk tends to come in faster and in larger quantities, and "baby blues" are seldom an issue. Ask me for studies and I can't provide much but I see it so I believe in the benefits.

How much does it generally cost? I am 17w5d pregnant, and I am open to this being accurate, but still get the 'gross out' factor. I will have to ask my doctor more about it and others who have experienced it.

Why on earth would you waste that money to get the nutritional value you could probably gain from a cow's liver. Don't be a sucker. It's just waste material. Animals eat it to keep predators away from their dens and their newborns. You have that problem? NO. Try not to be foolish.

hey going in for nursing i gotta know this stuff
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Placenta is just a side dish for Baby.
  • maletac
    Options

Animals (in which humans are animals) eat their placenta for nutrition, not to keep predators away from the den.

And placenta is REVERED in many societies around the world, so it definitely should NOT be taboo.

Americans in particular are very ridiculous in their thinking.

It is also widely used in Chinese medicine.

The placenta contains high levels of prostaglandin which stimulates involution (an inward curvature or penetration, or, a shrinking or return to a former size) of the uterus, in effect cleaning the uterus out. The placenta also contains small amounts of oxytocin which eases birth stress and causes the smooth muscles around the mammary cells to contract and eject milk

I guess those of you that have issues and say you would never eat placenta don't mind using it in your facial moisturizer, shampoo, soaps, and other cosmetic items you probably have lying on your vanity or in your bathroom.

SMH

i post this and for opinions then you come and criticize people for having those opinions..... le sigh sorry we are not as knowledgable as you are.
  • maletac
    Options
    BREAST FEEDING IS NOT THE SAME AS PLACENTA EATING!

you know what...

eating your fetus is the same as eating a placenta!!! AAHHAAA

many MANY MANY animal species eat their fetus weather if its weak or if its dead the mother will eat the young... NOW THAT IS COMPARABLE!!!!!!!!!

winning
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Sorry but eating a part of another human doesn't seem right to me.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I personally would not want to eat it. Pill form? Maybe.

Had it been something that our country's culture as a whole did for a long time and I grew up knowing it differently, well then it wouldn't seem so gross and odd to me. It is quite common in other places of the world. Hell some places of the world think it's insane the amount of processed crap we eat..but they eat placenta. To each his own I suppose.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP you create a thread talking about cannibalism but then put do not mod in the subject?

I think I've seen it all in my time. =)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We are just like any animal just with a higher IQ, But its natural to eat the placenta among humans and other animal! It's full of good things and can help with PPD! If they did not need to take my daughters for testing because of her IUGR i would of took it and had it turned in to supplements. In todays society it's looked at as taboo. . . among other natural things likes breast feeding. . .

breast feeding is not taboo :O its encouraged specially since it reduces chances of breats cancer

Have you been a breastfeeding mother? We say it isnt' taboo, but try finding safe places to do it without people passing extreme judgement on you for doing it.