i can't believe i'm writing this ... ppl w/ tattoos

Options

Replies

• csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. both arms full sleeved. Among others.

I always end up reading tattoo threads (and stupidly piss myself off) and I always end up reading how people always advice to "get something that MEANS something".

WHY?

Sure, if it means something, awesome. You had something meaningful you wanted immortalize on your skin. Great. But why does it HAVE to? Can't *kitten* just be pretty? (or ugly, or scary, or whatever?) Some of mine do, most of mine, well, I just thought was cool.

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

okay, that conversation didn't illustrate my point or question at all, I just found it funny. My real question is ... those WITH tattoos - does all of your ink MEAN something?

It does mean something, it means you like it and got a tattoo of it :)
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i ha8 and out of the eight only 5 mean something and the other 3 i really do not like and wish they were gone as they were in th moment. But what do you do.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I only have 1 tattoo as of now, but it's my son's birthdate in roman numerals going down my forearm. I have plans for a couple other tattoos with "meaning" so to speak (the outline of the state of Texas on my foot and a dove on the back of my neck) BUT I also want some less "meaningful" tattoos as well. Including a mustache on the inside of my left pointer finger. No profound reason for that one, other than I think it's AWESOME.

There was a good period of time where I wanted a full sleeve as well, but as far as my career goes, that wouldn't fly so well. I mean, I could wear long sleeves all the time, but I live in Texas and that would be so incredibly uncomfortable seeing as summer is like 8 months long here. I barely get away with my forearm tattoo as it is...fortunately, they like me around here and don't take too much issue with it :)
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1-- when I am 60 I am going to be a bad@ss granny
    2-- I'd love for my kids to have tats
    3 -- libraries/non-profits/creative jobs are open to tats most of the time
  • greeneyedredneckangel
    Options
    i have a tramp stamp which was my first when i was 17 then i got dolphins on my ankle which is my bi symbol i have a huge cross on my back which is my 5 year clean mark i got 2 years ago and i have a sleeve on my leg full of sculls demons daggers and such which i love it signifys all the things i have dealt with over my life that never had a chance to drag me under
    out of all of them that is the one that people judge me by for instance

I WORE SHORTS INTO A STORE WAS WAITING IN LINE AND A ELDER COUPLE WERE BEHIND ME I COULD HEAR THEM TALKIN SO I TURNED AROUND AND ASKED IF THEY HAD A PROBLEM SHE SAID " WHAT ON EARTH POSSED YOU TO GET THAT ON YOUR LEG ? i SAID WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE .. ARE YOU MY PARENTS ? DO YOU SLEEP IN MY BED? DO YOU PAY MY BILLS? NO SO DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT LOOK AT IT THAT SIMPLE.

FELT BAD FOR BEING RUDE BUT YOU DONT JUDGE ME I WILL DO ANYTHING FOR ANYONE
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I want to get a tattoo that says "this is not a tattoo", just to f**k with people.
  • svazquez820
    svazquez820 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a sunflower with a butterfly flying away from it. It's me letting go of my ex-boyfriend we grew up together, best friends, and we grew apart. Hardest break up I ever went thru. The reason for the tat though was when he finally asked me out he handed me a sunflower with a small butterfly attached.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i want it to mean something for me. i don't pass judgement on people with tons of ink (i.e. my baby sister). I just don't want that much for myself. it is my opinion that it matters more for those of us who are not likely to view our bodies as a canvas. i want one or two and i want them to be significant.

i agree, they don't have to be. and ink up as much as you want. it just isn't for me.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have five tattoos.

Mine and hubbys star sign and my fathers, mothers and sisters star symbols.

They are there to represent my family and mean something to me. That's my choice though and if I wanted to get a giant dragon over my back then I would, wouldn't mean anything to me though.

My point? If they mean something to you then fantastic, if they don't then fantastic.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have 3 and they all mean something - whether that meaning is "deep" and "personal"...eh, probably not. One shows that I was in a fraternity, one shows that I run half marathons and one shows that I'm an Eagles fan.
    That being said, I'm always curious about other people's ink and if I ask, it's not to be rude, it's out of a general curiosity. I saw a guy with a tattoo of Olive Oil (you know, Popeye's girlfriend) with a halo and angel wings. I really wanted to ask him what the meaning of that was. I'd love to hear the story behind it. I can make guesses, but I'd like to know. Anyway, for me, it's just curiosity and the potential of a good story. I've thought about writing a book about it (there probably is one already...).
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. both arms full sleeved. Among others.

I always end up reading tattoo threads (and stupidly piss myself off) and I always end up reading how people always advice to "get something that MEANS something".

WHY?

Sure, if it means something, awesome. You had something meaningful you wanted immortalize on your skin. Great. But why does it HAVE to? Can't *kitten* just be pretty? (or ugly, or scary, or whatever?) Some of mine do, most of mine, well, I just thought was cool.

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

okay, that conversation didn't illustrate my point or question at all, I just found it funny. My real question is ... those WITH tattoos - does all of your ink MEAN something?

Mine do have personal meaning, but I never explain them to anyone so I think that people assume they don't; and that's just fine with me. I see no reason why they HAVE TO mean something.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have three and they all have very deep personal and spiritual meanings. That said, it is personal choice - it is your body by all means do whatever you want to it. My personal and spiritual beliefs are such that tattoos are magical symbols and representations of my journey. I don't mind when people ask what they mean. Having visible tattoos gets attention and invites questions. Don't hate on the people who ask the question. Whether or not it has meaning, it was your choice so just answer the question.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or is anyone else getting sick of all the tattoo threads? If you want a tattoo, get one. If you don't want a tattoo, don't get one. The wearer cares far more about their rationale and/or meaning l than anyone else. If you are so concerned about what everyone else thinks about you having or not having them, then you probably shouldn't get one in the first place.
  • carolanne84
    carolanne84 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have one doesn't really mean anything it was just something I use to collect sun/moons with faces on them. I helped draw it and pick out the colors on it. My next few are going to be meaningful but I don't agree with the whole they should all have meanings, if you like it and it makes you happy bout yourself go for it!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My tattoo's are a symbol of me in some way or forum do they mean anything no not really I chose them because I didn’t want to have a cover up done in another year or 20 down the road to cover up something that I stupidly foolish to get like I was when I was 16-17. Tattoo’s art should you choose wisely yes it is something that will be with you forever. But if you are foolish enough to get something dumb then you will either love it or hate for the rest of your life or you will pay the money to either have it removed or get it covered up.
    Big or small ugly or pretty tattoos are ones body art! So be it my body is my canvas and it isn’t on my walls oops oh wait some of my art work that is on my body is on my wall’s.
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    Some of mine do and some don't. When I hit my 200 pound weight goal I am getting elbow to wrist half sleeves. They are going to be things from all my favorite books. They have meaning but at the same time really don't. They are more of reminders. I just love ink. I love how I look with it and I love how it feels while I am getting it. I love making friends in the shop waiting area and the conversations I get to have with the artist. I like being approached and have people admire my ink and I get amused when people talk **** about it. With all that they all have "meaning" but they really don't have a deep story to them. :bigsmile:
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I got my first one 8 years ago, and it is ridiculously cliche because not only is it a "tramp stamp" (I HATE THAT TERM) but it is also part tribal. However, the rest of the design meant something to me at the time, although now, not so much. But the artist did an amazing job, and I still love it, and it reminds me of where I was at the time. I just get embarrassed when other people talk about tramp stamps and I'm thinking...I still think it's a beautiful part of the body to highlight with a tat, and I'm not a tramp. Oh well. My second tattoo has meaning, and personally I like having them mean something, but my husband is more along the lines of wanting something that he thinks looks cool - which is perfectly okay! Now that I've lived a bit and have some mileage on my tats, I like to think of them as markers as to where I was in my life at a certain time (as well as just enjoying a bit of art on my body).

Personally I think it's pretty cool that you have sleeves!
  • ahb99
    ahb99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have two tattoos, one means something, ones doesn't.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    One thing I will say about tattoos that drive me crazy, are almost all the tattoos my sister has. She has 4 tattoos, and they all look terrible because she got them from "this guy my friend knows who does them at his house, he gave me a really good deal." Just a word of advice, tattoos aren't one of those things you can get by with going cheap on! It's on your body for life, why wouldn't you go to a reputable artist, regardless of the price???
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I SUGGEST to people (who ask) that trying to decide on whether or not to get a first tattoo to try to make sure it means something to them. It doen't have to be this long great story, but it should have value to you to avoid regrets. When you get to a point that you know you are comfortable with tattoos and want more, then make it about art or whatever. I've know so many people that just get something for the hell of it and end up hating it later (my husband has gotten one of his first ones covered already).

I knew I wanted one when I turned 18 but didn't actually get one until 24 because I didn't want to get stuck with something that I had a change of heart about, and at 18 I knew I would change so much. I have two now, both are special to me, and I plan on getting more that will probably have a meaning or some other deeper appeal, but that is my personal preference.

I will also say that I have seen some really great sleeve work and other large collections of body art but I've seen some poeple that look like a sticker book exploded on them. So even if you don't care about meaning it's still a good idea to put some thought in to what you will be getting and have some sort of overall plan or vision.