i can't believe i'm writing this ... ppl w/ tattoos

Options

Replies

• tanya_613
    tanya_613 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    {sheepishly} Yeah...

My first one I got before I depolyed. I wanted something with my sons name and something that represented Strength and Love so I got a heart surrounded by two roses with my sons name.

The second one was when I came back from Iraq and was in that you only live once attitude and I was riding a motorcycle so I HAD to get one on my lower back with my riding name... Innocent ;-)

I want to get another one on my foot of a running wing... but that will be my award after I run a full marathon... (so far i've only done half marathons)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Only 1 of out my 3 mean anything. The other two are because I thought they were pretty.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Mine doesnt. I drew it myself but it doesnt have a meaning. I just wanted one :)

This!

My next one is a dragonfly, b/c I think it would look awesome between my shoulder blades...that is all.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Yep my whole sleeve is based on this:

Revelation 20

The Thousand Years

1 And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.
    4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Even though I'm not religious...that sounds epic :)
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    1 of mine does- tribute to a guy that I went through firefighter 1 class who passed away at the age of 20.

other 3- not really... i just like dragons :drinker:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

Thank you for making my morning.
  • lordbyron46
    lordbyron46 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All mine mean something, but so do sleeves, you still have to pick them and want them so they must mean something to want to put them on your skin SIMPLES
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    I have plenty of tat and working on my back piece. As of right now you cannot see them while I wear cloths unless i wear shorts. This is due to my occupation but when I retire I will also get sleeves. Some people do not understand tattoos especially on women. Some of mine have meaning and some do not.

I do not have to justify what i do with my body to no one.
  • lilCrummie
    lilCrummie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    lol i was haveing this conversation with my tattooist few weeks ago alot of mine mean stuff but the one am getting soon is just cos its a feking awsome tattoo lol like loads others tht i like love tattoo's keep saying its my last one then i get another idea i have 19 now lol
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    ...just because someone asks if your tattoos mean something doesn't require that you have to be rude to them (unless they say something totally inappropriate). You could have just said that you got these tats because you think they are beautiful/awesome/amazing/scary/interesting, etc.

People who don't have tattoos are just curious and are asking questions.

I myself don't have tattoos but if I were to get one it would probably only ever be the names of someone I have lost or my children. That being said, I love looking at tattoos.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    All mine mean something, but so do sleeves, you still have to pick them and want them so they must mean something to want to put them on your skin SIMPLES

That would be my take. "I like this design enough to wear it on my body forever" is "it has some kind of meaning to me, even if it doesn't have a long, boring, complex, emotional story attached to it."
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Mine kind of has a meaning, it's life and death. A katana on the front of my leg stuck in a hill next to the ocean that is like a tombstone and a dragon on the back rising from the waves... There is meaning there but the most important part of my tattoo is that it's a katana,dragon and lots of water, 3 things I love lol

My sleeve will be japanese theme but other than that, no real meaning.
  • TonyaKantola
    Options
    I would say approx. 80% of my tattoos have meaning. My favorite right now is on my under arm and was just designed as fill. I still think that there is a stigma attached to tattoos so all of mine can be covered if needed (like at a funeral where I really don't like discussing them). My husband has both sleeves and is moving to his back or side next. I think they are sexy, man or woman. Individual expression is meaning all on its own, no hidden story needed.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    First of all....love the Beiber comment.That was funny :)

2nd- I have 7 tattoos, each of which has a meaning to me. I would like to get a sleeve, but I want it to be full on gladiola flowers, which also have a meaning to me. Each to their own. I have a friend very much covered in completely random tattoos. Not sure how many of them really have much meaning. I know some of them do, but most - not so much.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I want to get the word "Mosh" on my armpit. It has meaning...Means I'm BADA$$.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    All he did was ask what they mean...not a big deal....

The one that I do have, means more then anything to me.

But I don't care if none of yours mean a thing, it's your body, not mine.
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I used to think that tattoos should have meaning...they are, after all, permanent. Then I met my ex-husband. When he was in high school his friends gave him a nickname because they thought he looked like a popular 'character' we've all seen. So, on his 18th birthday he got this character tattooed on his shoulder. He's now a 35 year old man (well, the man part is questionable, at best) with a tattoo of Mr. Potato Head on his shoulder. It's no longer funny, and I'm guessing it was never cute. So, after living with Mr. Potato Head watching me sleep for 5 years, I no longer believe tattoos 'have' to have meaning. He should've gone with something that didn't.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. both arms full sleeved. Among others.

I always end up reading tattoo threads (and stupidly piss myself off) and I always end up reading how people always advice to "get something that MEANS something".

WHY?

Sure, if it means something, awesome. You had something meaningful you wanted immortalize on your skin. Great. But why does it HAVE to? Can't *kitten* just be pretty? (or ugly, or scary, or whatever?) Some of mine do, most of mine, well, I just thought was cool.

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

okay, that conversation didn't illustrate my point or question at all, I just found it funny. My real question is ... those WITH tattoos - does all of your ink MEAN something?

I don't think theres anything wrong with getting one thats just pretty to you. It doesn't have to mean anything, but just be pretty. I do want to add to mine. Something pretty, and my cat sophie with wings. Maybeeee. Not sure yet. It kinda hurt when I got the one I have now. Ouch. _hit in my pants hurt. :(
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    ...just because someone asks if your tattoos mean something doesn't require that you have to be rude to them (unless they say something totally inappropriate). You could have just said that you got these tats because you think they are beautiful/awesome/amazing/scary/interesting, etc.

People who don't have tattoos are just curious and are asking questions.

I myself don't have tattoos but if I were to get one it would probably only ever be the names of someone I have lost or my children. That being said, I love looking at tattoos.
    You can crack the joke and not be snide about it.
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    no meaning needed and no explanations required. The only person that has to live with them is you and the only person you have to answer to is you :-) I have a few man that would look cool tattoos lol regret them nope! someone doesnt care for them...oh. To each his own!