Chickpeas

Options

Replies

• spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I was going to add the Chocolate Covered Katie website because I had read the chickpea-blondie recipe but hadn't tried it yet... but someone already had it!

Thanks for posting this topic!

I've made them too. They're tasty.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mcandyr
    mcandyr Posts: 36
    Options
    Add them to soups, chili, make hummus (really easy) or eat them as a side dish!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Pasta e Ceci (Pasta With Chickpeas)
    Yummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • newbsar
    newbsar Posts: 6
    Options
    I cooked with Chickpeas last night - One pot Moroccan Chicken

Coat 4 chicken breast with a teaspoon of ground cumin and black pepper fry with a little olive oil and one onion for 4 mins one side and then 3 mins the other side. Then add 2 tablespoons of harissa paste, tin of cherry tomatoes, 250ml of water, 2 courgettes and 1 tablespoon of honey simmer for 15 mins or until chicken is completely cooked. Total calories per serving was 293 calories, I served mine with rice but you could use cous cous, roasted veg what ever takes your fancy!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump, these sound yummy!
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Mrsg711
    Mrsg711 Posts: 12
    Options
    Genius Blondies

(makes 15-20 squares)

1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/8 tsp baking soda heaping
    1/8 tsp salt
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1-2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup ground flax (20g)
    1/4 cup peanut butter (or other fat source)
    optional: 1/3 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. Bake for 38-40 minutes. You want the blondies to look a little undercooked when you take them out, because they’ll firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard

Calories: 74
    Fat: 2 grams
    Sugar: 6 grams
    Protein: 2 grams

These are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    I have a bit of a nutella problem, and I will be trying to make this very soon to see if I can find a healthier way to enjoy nutella (because right now the only option is keeping it out of the house) I'm hoping this is good!

Healthy Chocolate Spread

“I would like to pass on to you my recipe for a chocolate spread using chickpeas. I know it sounds bizarre but its good, you cant taste the chickpeas and it goes so well with the chocolate. It’s a healthier and cheaper alternative and tastes best on toast.”

â– 1 x 400g canned chickpeas, rinsed
    â– 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    â– 3 tablespoons oil
    ■½ cup cocoa powder
    ■½ cup caster sugar (I use 2/3 cup honey)
    â– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    â– 4 tablespoons of water
    Blend all ingredients in food processor/blender and add each tablespoon of water till desired consistency is reached.

Place in jar and store in fridge.

Read more http://www.stayathomemum.net.au/recipes/lunches/healthy-chocolate-spread/
  • karmamaof2
    Options
    I saw that someone had already posted a falafel recipe, but I've been using this one lately, and it's super tasty. It's baked, so not a huge amount of fat, but it doesn't taste like an adapted recipe. The first time I made it, I didn't drain the chickpeas enough and they were too wet to make into ball shapes. I just put them on a baking sheet like cookies and caked them a little longer, worked perfectly!!
    http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/gluten-free-baked-falafel/
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    About 3 times a week I make a chickpea salad, thats like a mock tuna salad....even my kids love it!

1/2 c. chickpeas (mashed)
    1 tbsp. onion (diced)
    1 tbsp. celery (diced)
    1 tbsp. mayonaise, miracle whip, veganaise
    pepper

Mix together, throw over lettuce, in a pita or on a sandwich and TAA DA!

Its really quick and simple...and tasty!
  • skwomp
    skwomp Posts: 5
    Options
    Check out www.vegweb.com It's basically a vegan/vegetarian version of allrecipes.com. I love that the recipes are rated with user reviews and suggestions for improvements and/or alternative ingredients.

The recipes suggested here on the forum are fantastic though! I can't wait to try some of them!
  • Kandierinc
    Kandierinc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Drain liquid and put on cookie sheet turn oven to 450 sprinkle with garlic salt, chili powder (any type of dried spice you like for the flavor) dried ranch packets roast in oven for 40 mins shaking the sheet to rotate them about every 10 mins. High protien tasty on the go snack similar to flavor roasted peanuts

^ I do this, but w/ cumin, ground ginger, all-spice. Salt and black Pepper.
    I also spray a bit of olive oil.

I keep a bunch in the fridge and either add it to salads or use as a topping w/ roasted cauliflower on whole wheat pasta, etc.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Mix a can of drain chickpeas with diced onion and red pepper, oregano, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. Eat in a whole wheat pita with slices of grilled portabello mushroom. Yummy.

Also check out vegetariantimes.com. They have a whole slew of chickpea recipes.
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I add them to oil, garlic, chicken both and serve over pasta!
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
  • bridgetn85
    bridgetn85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!

This is one of my favourite lunches and is so quick to put together:

Chickpea salad wraps

Yield: 3 servings

Ingredients:
    •1 (15-oz) can chickpeas (or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas)
    •2 tbsp chopped red onion
    •2 tbsp relish
    •1 garlic clove, minced
    •1/2 tsp regular mustard
    •2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
    ••salt and pepper, to taste

1. Mix everything into a bowl, mashing up the chickpeas slightly with a fork, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stuff into a wrap or pita, or enjoy with crackers or rice cakes.

Nutritional Info (based on 3 servings): about 222 kcals (not including the wrap)

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/16/lunch-this-week-chickpea-salad-wraps/
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing