call it what you want "starvation mode" is REAL

Options
I think people get hung up on semantics when the attempt to refute the validity of the assertion that caloric restriction causes an individual to go into starvation mode. While I agree that "Starvation mode" is actually quite rare, this is not likely what MOST people are referring to.

I believe the common person using it simply means that the metabolism slows down and weight loss is no longer what one would predict based on the "deficit" created by the reduction in calories. I 100% believe that this occurs and is a huge impediment to weight loss for people who restrict their calories too much in an effort to lose weight as quickly as possible.

Here is a quote from just one study:

"In response to caloric restriction (CR/LCD combined), TDEE adjusted for body composition, was significantly lower by −431±51 and −240±83 kcal/d at M3 and M6, respectively, indicating a metabolic adaptation. Likewise, physical activity (TDEE adjusted for sleeping metabolic rate) was significantly reduced from baseline at both time points. For control and CR+EX, adjusted TDEE (body composition or sleeping metabolic rate) was not changed at either M3 or M6.

Conclusions
For the first time we show that in free-living conditions, CR results in a metabolic adaptation and a behavioral adaptation with decreased physical activity levels. These data also suggest potential mechanisms by which CR causes large inter-individual variability in the rates of weight loss and how exercise may influence weight loss and weight loss maintenance."

Source:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0004377

CR: caloric restriction (25% reduction)
LCD: Low calorie diet (890 calories)
CR + EX: caloric restriction and exercise (12.5% caloric restriction, 12.5% increase in physical activity)
M3/M6: month 3/6

Now if it were simple CALORIES IN- CALORIES OUT there would be little to no variability in rate of weight loss but we know this is not true.

Just another viewpoint to consider.

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    We don't need another "Starvation mode" thread. You are going to believe what you believe. Others will believe what they believe.

Let's give it a rest.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    We don't need another "Starvation mode" thread. You are going to believe what you believe. Others will believe what they believe.

Let's give it a rest.

haha i see it as my DUTY to inform the uninformed MFPers with sound research--at least it gives them a firmer foundation to base their opinions on. if you don't like the thread don't respond. simple.
  • Vench
    Vench Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Let's give it a rest.

haha i see it as my DUTY to inform the uninformed MFPers with sound research--at least it gives them a firmer foundation to base their opinions on. if you don't like the thread don't respond. simple.

Considering how many threads and "facts" on here are pulled out of peoples' arses, it's nice to see someone do their homework. Thank you, love4.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Let's give it a rest.

please.
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    frankly this whole idea of "starvation mode" is bunk if you are involved in a weight training regime...

otherwise, sure i can see how people who go into hypocaloric deficiets can be causing harm to themselves over the long term...

why anyone would try to lose weight by diet alone is beyond me, unless for some reason you are physically unable to exercise... that'd mean you're like so obese you can barely move, but for the rest of "us" get your rear end up and do something, weight training is for everyone...
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Let's give it a rest.

ok seriously, those of u who are bashing, do you see those abs?! i mean c'mon.i'd listen to this chick :)
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What I think is interesting is how many people who eat at 1200 suddenly find themselves struggling to eat more. I believe this is caused by the metabolism slowing down, which takes the appetite with it.

I believe we really can have a reasonable discussion about this without an all-out flame war. No need to get snippy, folks. Eat a sandwich. Be happy. :bigsmile:
  • chachadiva150
    Options
    What exactly did you "prove?" It's widely known that the body does indeed response to long term caloric reduction. There is a slow down in the metabolism. However, that doesn't mean that the body STOPS losing weight or stops burning stored fat.

So what's your point exactly?

If the body completely stopped losing weight because of caloric reduction, then it would be impossible for people to actually starve.

Additionally, if someone is extremely obese, their BMR is so high that the body has to burn calories in order to just stay alive. The body will pull those calories from stored body fat.

I don't support anyone starving themselves. However, eating 1200 calories a day is not starving.

Maybe we need to get past 1200 as the "magical starvation number."
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    frankly this whole idea of "starvation mode" is bunk if you are involved in a weight training regime...

otherwise, sure i can see how people who go into hypocaloric deficiets can be causing harm to themselves over the long term...

why anyone would try to lose weight by diet alone is beyond me, unless for some reason you are physically unable to exercise... that'd mean you're like so obese you can barely move, but for the rest of "us" get your rear end up and do something, weight training is for everyone...

Respectfully dude.... That doesn't always mean that. There are overweight people in wheelchairs. Ones that couldn't even walk while triing to lose weight.
    Options

Let's give it a rest.

Considering how many threads and "facts" on here are pulled out of peoples' arses, it's nice to see someone do their homework. Thank you, love4.

you're welcome! I'm glad someone can appreciate it :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It's not that starvation mode isn't real. The term is just overly used. You really have to try to kill yourself to put yourself in starvation mode to the point of where your organs are in trouble. Starvation mode is very rare.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Let's give it a rest.

haha i see it as my DUTY to inform the uninformed MFPers with sound research--at least it gives them a firmer foundation to base their opinions on. if you don't like the thread don't respond.

you're welcome! I'm glad someone can appreciate it :)

Much Appreciated! Thanks chic! :wink:
    Options
    It's not that starvation mode isn't real. The term is just overly used. You really have to try to kill yourself to put yourself in starvation mode to the point of where your organs are in trouble leading to death. Starvation mode is very rare.

A point that I happily conceded--I just think that the common person doesn't know what else to call it because that is the commonly used (though wrongfully used) term.
  • chachadiva150
    Options
    One last question. How do gastric bypass patients lose hundreds of pounds on only 500-1500 calories? Shouldn't starvation mode kick in a day or two after eating so few calories?
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I know that my body has adjusted to reduced caloric intake ... my appetite slows and my energy level dips so that I feel the urge to do less. I'm sure over an extended period of time it would let some of the weight go if I maintained that, but my goal is to feel better as well.

I'm still tweaking to find a healthy balance between exercise and caloric intake that doesn't leave me lethargic or feeling deprived.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    I was always skeptical of starvation mode theory. cutting cals is necessary. whether you cut diet or workout. you have to have a deficit.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

But yes ppl do this without exercise claiming they "just want to lose weight and don't care about getting muscle and stuff". True story
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    One last question. How do gastric bypass patients lose hundreds of pounds on only 500-1500 calories? Shouldn't starvation mode kick in a day or two after eating so few calories?

This thread is refuting the idea of starvation mode (as it's often used here) but not the idea that the metabolism slows down when you restrict calories too much. Please read a little more closely.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

This thread is refuting the idea of starvation mode (as it's often used here) but not the idea that the metabolism slows down when you restrict calories too much. Please read a little more closely.

Agreed. Maybe we should call it "ur gonna eff up your meto mode"? Nah that's too long.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't get what you're trying to prove. That a reduction in calories results in metabolic slowdown? I didn't think everyone was unaware of this. People need to learn more about diet breaks. They help normalize hormones and make cutting a breeze.