Why do women wear makeup?

Options

Replies

• PlasticPsycho
    Options
    I think it makes such a difference if a girl has make up on or not.
    But I also think that being natural is important, and therefore I hardly ever wear much make up :)

This is me without make up:
    P1130042_2.jpg

This is me with makeup:
    IMG_0830.jpg

Your pretty with or without the makeup.

Awww thanks :)
  • Carol_27
    Carol_27 Posts: 40
    Options
    I also LOVE wearing and applying makeup - bump on the canvas comment, but for me makeup should be always about enhancing the looks god already gave you vs making up a whole new face through makeup. My husband used to tell me all the time that how is it I can wear makeup and look like I am not wearing almost any makeup and it looks great. I think the best advice is if your going to wear make up then take the time to learn what works on your face/complexion, buy a book, check out tutorials or go to a professional.

hugs MFP peeps!!
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! How do you make the pics smaller? I tried editing them but it didnt work!
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup mainly because a) blonde eyelashes and b) I look like I am 11 years old otherwise. No joke, our gate guard literally thought I was.

No makeup ( had recently been crying too - so kinda puffy. Hubs was deployed I missed the call)
    july0355.jpg
    Makeup

2010-12-05201005571-1.jpg

Or me as a blonde with makeup (albeit black and white)
    Picture1677-2.jpg
    So beautiful and I LOVE your blond hair!
  • scullyuk06
    Options
    I only wear makeup when I am going out for a special occasion (very rarely). I like wearing it, but as a treat (and hate being exhausted after a night out and trying to get mascara off again!!!

I dont think of myself as "pretty", but I just am not bothered about it. Infact right now I am not certain where my makeup bag is!!!

I think this is largely because I went to an all girls secondary (high) school, and I couldnt see the point in it - despite some girls plastering it on with a trowell. For me it just makes the effort of getting ready for a night out more special.

I simply do not understand women who cant nip round the corner shop for some milk without trowling it on. Or those who have to wear it at the gym or swimming pool?!? I am there to work not to look good!

I do think that less is more - subtle eyes and lips to enhance natural beauty rather than plastering it on to cover it up.

Thats just my opinion.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't, apart from on nights out. I don't wear loads even then.

To me, make up is mostly something to create a certain look. I have no problem most of the time with how I look without it, but for a night out, it would seem plain to me. I also don't want imperfections showing on a night out (skin tone variation, spots etc) Day to day, unless I look really bad, I don't care, as it's just me.

Without make up:
    34135_1443795527622_1015128022_1319470_7641425_n.jpg

With make up:
    262268_10150706347740074_694990073_19913686_5896655_n.jpg
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Its way too much effort to put make up on every day. I value sleep more

And anyways, that way when I do wear it, I look different without very much effort. Win-win :bigsmile:

^ this and also i'd look like a panda when i workout if i wore make up.

I love Mac and have loads of it but pretty much is used less than once a month!
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    profile pic is with makeup, below is without

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii544/karaczar/kara.jpg

I'm too retarded to post pictures right.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Why do women wear mekeup? Why do they wear pushup bras? Or compression thingys?

Sometimes a guy can be totally freaked out when he wakes up in the morning and cannot recognize the stranger next to him in bed.

False advertising I say.:laugh:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Without (sorry it's a depressing photo, it's the only one I have avail right now w/ no makeup. I look super tired, but it's actually a really really happy day getting to hold my son after several weeks. That's me happy w/out makeup, and below is me happy with makeup (granted the red shirt one is one of the best days of my life. I was SO happy that day I think that makes the difference more than the makeup. I think washing my hair makes the biggest difference. My roommate used to say "I like your hair today!" and I'd go... "thanks... i washed it..." :laugh: :laugh: )
    photo-7.jpg

With
    988254ea.jpg
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    I get hit on almost the same. However I find I look much younger and softer without too much makeup. I normally go with less. People find me far more approachable and less intimidating with less makeup. :flowerforyou:

No makeup / very little if any:

blondieeeee.png

Eyeliner / dark lipstick for dinner date:

crazyredf.png
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    PS, I always think it's funny when they do "Stars w/out makeup" stories, but they obviously have on eyeliner and mascara and a little lip gloss and maybe a little bit of concealer. Um... that's not NO makeup. That's kinda NORMAL makeup! :laugh:
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated with makeup. I feel I look better with it on, but I can never seem to achieve that smokey eye look or outragous eyeshadow color look, or red lipstick. I feel totally weird trying bold makeup styles on.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Because society tells them this is what beaty is. I agree with the confidence statement from Jac. Whats wrong with being natural?

Some people have scars and such that aren't pleasant to look at. If you already love the person, you don't even notice them. But sometimes new people shy away and/or treat them differently when they go natural vs wearing makeup.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The reason that I wear makeup is that i'm a natural redhead and without makeup I don't look very good. :( I'm way more confendent when wearing makeup.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have a pic of me without makeup on in my photos on my page. The only time I ever put on make up is when I'm going out for the night, going to dinner/lunch, or a family/friend event. Every day stuff, I don't ever put makeup on. I've been told I don't need it, but I feel more prettier and way more confident with it on.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    no make-up
    61487_10150257526980456_546975455_14986936_752134_n.jpg

full make-up

156252_10150313652315456_546975455_15965843_7195801_n.jpg

don't f*ng talk to me make-up
    30542_851314901110_15928637_46557900_6451307_n.jpg

yes, my mouth does hang open in all my pictures
    omg we need to hang out! loving the makeup for zombie! need to learn that! I think makeup for me is a confidence thing. I am ok without wearing it, I look good, like my face and all, but I love the way I feel when I go out and am all done. hair and clothes and all.
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    Persoanlly, I think you're beautiful in both pictures. And I don't think you look sick and tired in your makeup-less picture
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Because society tells them this is what beaty is. I agree with the confidence statement from Jac. Whats wrong with being natural?

Some people have scars and such that aren't pleasant to look at. If you already love the person, you don't even notice them. But sometimes new people shy away and/or treat them differently when they go natural vs wearing makeup.

This is such a small % though, even if we're talking acne scars. It has little to do with the overall societal mandate that women are better with makeup (other than society saying if you have scars you can't be beautiful. Which is crap too.)
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    I wear makeup because I look like i'm 12 years old without it! lol

I get told I look like jail bait a lot -_-