Why do women wear makeup?

Options

Replies

• zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm married so getting attention and getting hit on is not a big concern for me. My husband says he doesn't care if I wear makeup or not. I wear makeup because I think it's fun. And why not? We play dress up when we're little girls. I love playing with different colors of shadows. I get extremely excited when I get a new color pallet. :)
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OK..pics are from about 2 years ago but it's the only one with no makeup on.

Camping trip--no makeup (I'm on the right)
    KristenCourtneyMackinaw.jpg

With makeup...I try to go for the natural look, but it at least smooths out the skin tone.
    Me101820.jpg

Putting on makeup is part of my daily morning routine. Very rarily do I go anywhere without makeup on...but if I'm making a very quick run to the store I don't. Of course...that's when I always see someone I know!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Putting on makeup is part of my daily morning routine. Very rarily do I go anywhere without makeup on...but if I'm making a very quick run to the store I don't. Of course...that's when I always see someone I know!

Without fail! Every.single.time lol
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I pretty much don't leave the house without makeup. On sat and sun mornings when I go to the gym as soon as I wake up, that is literally the only place I don't wear it. I'll even put on concealer and mascara for the beach. I don't think I wear a lot and I definitely have work, every day make up and going clubbing makeup which generally just means adding smokey eye makeup. My work makeup is really to cover up the bags under my eyes, even out my skin and just look like a better, more polished version of me.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I almost always wear makeup. I don't wear a lot though.
    Without makeup and with glasses.....
    photo1.jpg

With makeup (light makeup for a Saturday daytime outing) and no glasses...
    photo2.jpg

(Hope this works...first time posting pictures.)
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I don't wear makeup at all. With the exception of maybe twice a year for a special occasion like a wedding or something.
    I get a generous amount of attention without makeup every day. I do make sure my hair is good before I go out, that's what gives me confidence.

So my answer is more "Why don't I wear makeup" :

When I wear it, of course get attention, but not the kind of attention I like or appreciate. I find that when I wear makeup, it's the *kitten* and creeps that I get attention from, and I'm perfectly fine without that :bigsmile:
    I also find that I'm treated poorly sometimes when I wear makeup. I have what I would call "B^tchy features" lol. When I don't wear makeup it's not as noticeable and my features look softer, but when I do, my features are enhanced and I feel like I look like a total B^tch (not sure how to explain it exactly, my friends agree I look more unaproachable all made up)

So I'm happier and have a better time without it!:drinker:

I've been told I look like a 'b-word' as well. Sad! I am really fairly nice ;) Just most the time though, hehehe.
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm married so getting attention and getting hit on is not a big concern for me. My husband says he doesn't care if I wear makeup or not. I wear makeup because I think it's fun. And why not? We play dress up when we're little girls. I love playing with different colors of shadows. I get extremely excited when I get a new color pallet. :)

this is me too. I love playing around with different colors, i probably have enough eyeshadow to last my lifetime haha.
  • amiehampton29
    Options
    Don't wear makeup and think I pull it off okay

me.jpg
  • 0lightasair
    0lightasair Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Because society tells them this is what beaty is. I agree with the confidence statement from Jac. Whats wrong with being natural?

OR maybe the time spent putting on make-up is me time, and we all like to have it as part of our day.

I don't wear it every day because I cherish my sleep time in the mornings, but I find myself extrodinarily destressed after I have invested the time. I equate it to home-spa rituals.

There are no statistics I know of that show a majority of women wear make-up to attract men. All the women I know wear it to feel good about themselves.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion, but make up hides defects. The more make up, the more defects the user feels they have. What I love about training most of my female clients is that most of them don't wear make up to the gym so I get to see them in their natural state and most of them are already beautiful even if they don't think so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/beauty/makeup-the-key-to-success-20111025-1mhik.html

^^^Study done that found women seem more "competent and trustworthy" wearing make-up
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    No Makeup = No “Attention”

Nomakeup.jpg

Makeup= “Attention”

Makeup.jpg

I suppose I don't have natural beauty. :(

You have natural beauty, but you are great with make up. The mood of your face is completely different. The first looks happy, and fun, and the second looks sultry.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup only as part of an outfit, if that makes sense. I don't wear it to work, and I don't wear it generally around the house either. However, if I'm performing (belly dancer), or I'm dressing up to go to a club or gig, the makeup is part of the outfit. I usually only ever bother with eyeliner, mascara and shadow. Never got to grips with lipstick especially well or concealer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I feel more "me" with red lipstick than without it.

makeup.jpg

I'm comfortable without makeup, but I prefer to wear it. Just like I prefer to wear pretty colored clothes and flashy jewelry. It's an accessory. If red lips will better enhance an outfit, I'll wear it. If I'm going hiking with the dog, I wear sunscreen and chapstick.
  • jennblack23
    Options
    lol..the only "make-up" i own is lip gloss..it's sad, i don't even think i'd know how to put any on :P
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to make up. Makes my face swell up, so I haven't worn make up since.. oh, like 9th grade. I still get hit on even without it. I really don't think make up is what makes you beautiful, it is confidence. If you aren't comfortable and confident without make up on, it shows.
  • snowhunny
    Options
    I don't wear makeup at all. With the exception of maybe twice a year for a special occasion like a wedding or something.
    I get a generous amount of attention without makeup every day. I do make sure my hair is good before I go out, that's what gives me confidence.

So my answer is more "Why don't I wear makeup" :

When I wear it, of course get attention, but not the kind of attention I like or appreciate. I find that when I wear makeup, it's the *kitten* and creeps that I get attention from, and I'm perfectly fine without that :bigsmile:
    I also find that I'm treated poorly sometimes when I wear makeup. I have what I would call "B^tchy features" lol. When I don't wear makeup it's not as noticeable and my features look softer, but when I do, my features are enhanced and I feel like I look like a total B^tch (not sure how to explain it exactly, my friends agree I look more unaproachable all made up)

So I'm happier and have a better time without it!:drinker:

I've been told I look like a 'b-word' as well. Sad! I am really fairly nice ;) Just most the time though, hehehe.

I'm not the only one?!?! :bigsmile: I really am a very nice person too (*most* of the time as well lol) :tongue:
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I don't have any close pictures of me with make-up, but I recently started wearing it again. My ex-husband hated it and forbidden me to wear it. Only after a friend brought it up, did I start wearing it again. It makes me feel pretty even if I am having a rough day.
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    I prefer to go out with makeup on, but there have been nights where I just didn't feel like it. I do get some attention with no makeup, but I get more with it on.
    I do admit that a lot of it is the attitude that I project without my makeup on. I feel frumpy, or in an "I don't care" mood. People pick up on that and respond accordingly.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer women that do not wear any makeup.