Why do women wear makeup?

Options

Replies

• brian1229
    brian1229 Posts: 28
    Options
    I look like hell without makeup. Ruddy skin with lots of scars from acne. A good foundation is key for me. My lips are fine natural, as they have quite a bit of natural color. I have to have mascara though, or I look exhausted. Darn these blonde eyelashes! Eyeshadow I wear when the mood strikes. A sweep of bronzer/blush, and I am done. I feel confident with it on, and I know I look better with it.

And this sounds horrible, but a lot of gals who don't wear makeup are not natural beauties and could use a little help. But, whatever makes them happy! I have a friend with worse acne scarring than me and she refuses to wear foundation/concealer most of the time. She looks so much better with it on; the scars really take away from her natural beauty.
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    I don't get hit on either way, but here ya go:

Before makeup:
    IMG_20120403_182211.jpg

After makeup:
    034.jpg

I wear makeup because I feel more comfortable and confident in it, although most days it's just some mascara.

Umm, you're freaking GORGEOUS without makeup. Just sayin' :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No Makeup = No “Attention”

Makeup= “Attention”

I suppose I don't have natural beauty. :(

I think you look beautiful without makeup. Again, I think it's how you carry yourself, not the lack of or presence of it.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I hate wearing makeup. In fact I am at work with no makeup on right now. I only do a full face when I go out and that is hardly ever

Same. I never wear make up unless i'm going out to dinner. Why should i try to hide what i really look like with make up? I don't really see the point in it but that's just my opinion :)
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No Makeup = No “Attention”

Nomakeup.jpg

Makeup= “Attention”

Makeup.jpg

I suppose I don't have natural beauty. :(

I think you look beautiful in both...and I'm just saying....I love how you wear your make-up....BUT you look good without it as well
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Lemme show you! But first, let me tell you. The girl in pic number one, goes out like this allllll the time. NEVER gets hit on, double takes, NOTHING!

Girl number two however gets hit on, checked out, free drinks, and some awesome confidence from it...

Ladies, post your pre and post make-up pics!

This is me, this morning, after my walk...

And this is me 15 minutes later

girl one looks younger.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Okay...this is prbably not a good example because I wear VERY light makeup (which is about 5 times a year) sooo here's without:

mail-1.jpg

Here's with:

mail1.jpg

I have gorgeous friends....so I'm usually the last to get a free drink....and it might have something to do with the wedding ring LOL!
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't get hit on either way, but here ya go:

Before makeup:
    IMG_20120403_182211.jpg

After makeup:
    034.jpg

I wear makeup because I feel more comfortable and confident in it, although most days it's just some mascara.

I still call bull**** on the not getting hit on thing.
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    I wear makeup half of the time, if I'm not totally exhausted in the morning and if I have enough time to. I know that one days that I DO wear makeup, I'm more confident and generally in a better mood. I'll be back later to post my before and afters :)
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I look so much better with makeup on!!
    I have no makeup free photos because i look horrible without it and all my confidence goes without it! :blushing:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Bump to add my before and after - I'm at work, no photos here :(

I wear makeup because it evens out skin tone and gives a more polished/professional appearance. If you can go au-natural and not look sick that doesn't mean you aren't professional looking but looking put together does say something in our society so even a touch of gloss or mascara along with tidy hair and clothing shows you have pride in yourself.

Personally I HATE eye makeup other than basic mascara. I find eye makeup alters your face too much for daily wear. If I was still of clubbing-age then sure I would add it going out. Sometimes when I feel adventurous I add some neutral shadow just because I own it and it just sits there for years at a time.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with makeup. I love my makeup...it does make me look better if done properly the way I like it.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am going to get hated on for this but in my opinion it boils down to vanity....okay you can yell now. :indifferent:
    And no I don't wear makeup, used to when I was a teenager.

And guys wearing makeup= my ex did, foundation and eyeliner, I found it creepy among other thing, hence he is the ex.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Why don't men wear makeup? In the animal kingdom, it is the male who has the brightest plumage. And there have been times in history where men wore face powder, fake beautymarks and wigs (and heels). So how come they don't anymore?

If makeup makes women feel more confident/accentuates their features -- why can't men do the same?

It is because we are not birds. Show me the bright plumage on a gorilla.

AMEN TO THIS! Silverback!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I must profess one thing. If I cannot find a woman attractive with little to no make up on then I will most likely find her LESS attractive with tons of it caked on.

au naturale please.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I feel ugly without it. I also don't get hit on when I don't have it on, but that might have a lot to do with how I feel.

No make up (and much heavier) with two of the cutest kids on earth!

ry%3D400

And with it

ry%3D400

Hope the pics work!
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Did not release make up made this much difference , I still probably would say "how you doin" to those in the pictures without make up too :laugh:
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My wife never wears makeup, and she's perfect the way she is. I personally have never liked the look of makeup, I much prefer a natural woman.

This makes me happy because the only time I've ever worn make up was to my prom in high school (and that was almost ten years ago now!). I have never even owned my own make up, other than lip balm and maybe a clear gloss or two.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I hate wearing makeup. In fact I am at work with no makeup on right now. I only do a full face when I go out and that is hardly ever

Same. I never wear make up unless i'm going out to dinner. Why should i try to hide what i really look like with make up? I don't really see the point in it but that's just my opinion :)

I think there is a difference. Someone women wear make-up to "hide" their face. I wear make-up so my eyes don't look dead... But I'm pretty much just bringing out (what I think is) my best feature with make-up
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I waited tables for 13 years. Days I didn't wear make-up, my tips were always SEVERELY effected. Take that as you will. I have no reason to explain it, and when I bring it up people either refuse to believe it, or come up with random theories.

Some days I'd wake up and not have time or just not be in the mood to paint my face, and I paid for it,, often in tens or hundreds less than I usually make in a day.

It's not a confidence thing. I behave the same in make-up, out of make-up, whatever my hair is doing, whatever I'm wearing. It has everything to do with first impressions and how other people percieve you. Apparently, if i don't wear make-up, I look like someone who either doesn't need or doesn't deserve the same tip you would give someone who had eyeliner on.

ALSO,

Tips were better if I bleached my hair or wore a blonde wig. Hair style or length didn't make a difference, but color made a huge difference. Tips aren't different from brunette to red, but blonde = CASH MONEY.

Tan level didn't make a difference either. Nor did eye color.

Yeah, I had lots of time to experiment on appearance vs tips in 13 years.