Who plans their meals in advance and why?

Options
I tend to eat the same breakfast everyday and then vary what i eat for the rest of the day (within my calorie limit)

Do you think it is a good idea to decide what you are going to eat in advance?

Has anyone done this?

Have you found that it has helped you keep within your calories and helped you meet your nutritional needs for the day?

Thanks

:happy:

Replies

• mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do this, up to 3 or 4 days in advance. I do it because it's fun, it takes the anxiety out of how I'm going to eat my calories, and I make sure to leave enough left over calories to not worry myself with unscheduled treats. That being said, I also make my food for the week ahead of time so it really is truly easy.

It helped me immensely with losing weight and making my diet more custom fit to my nutritional needs. I really hated the anxiety of counting down the calories in the day.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I do, otherwise I end up at dinner far short of the macros I want.
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I typically plan out my meals a week ahead of time. I create a shopping list with the ingredients and then I know what I'm making for the week and know what my calories will be. There is no excuse for going over my calories because I know what I'm making and eating. Sometimes I even make the dinners for the week on Sunday/Monday for the week for my husband and I if I know I won't have time.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I try to plan the night before or on the day before i eat so i know how my macros and calls are looking and want to be as close to 0 as possible on them all! x
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I do. OCD makes me do it.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I believe they have done many studies that indicate that planning is one of the best tools you can use to stay on track. I premake food on Sunday for the week. I bring my breakfast, lunch and snacks to work it is the only way I can control what I am eating. Let's face it if it is fast it is usually bad for you other than fruit and veggies you can grab. Unfortunately we don't usually go for that or at least I don't
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I typically eat one of 3 or 4 different basic things for breakfast (oatmeal, yogurt, egg substitute, whole grain english muffins), and vary them slightly or add some fruit just to get some variety. I usually pack my own food to take to the office for lunch, and if I know what my better half is making for dinner I can tweak my lunch and snacks for the day to get things in line with my goals.

This seems to work for me most days.
  • ambie1973
    Options
    I do this also. Same thing as you with the breakfast. Simply because I have to get up to early for work, I usually prep my stuff the night before and have it ready for my early rise. I eat an egg-white omelette and it's usually around 100-150 calories depending on what I put in it. This was, I KNOW my morning is starting out on the right foot and don't feel so bad if I have more on my lunch or dinner.

Also, if I start out every morning the same, I know how to sorta plan dinner. It's hard sometimes because dinner seems to be the biggest calorie sucker, but I find overall with the calorie counting, it's best if I have an idea in my head ahead of time so that I don't blow it big time. It's kinda like a checks and balances.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do, because I still can't be trusted with the last minute choices
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I plan breakfast and lunch for the whole week-you know what they say-if you fail to plan you plan to fail:tongue:
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals for the whole week before I go grocery shopping on Sunday. Makes it alot easier, during the work week, to know exactly what I'm having so I don't get lazy and just go get takeaway.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have done this all my adult life. I literally can't imagine doing it any other way. It's mainly for shopping convenience but also to make sure I'm eating balanced meals because I plan the veg, starch, and protien for each meal. That way you can be sure to get variety, too.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I do this for the entire week. Monday - Friday. It help me not do the mindless search of the kitchen looking for something to eat. I know what my nutritions are every day and what I should eat when. It also makes it quick in the morning to get a lunch for work.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I plan every night for the next day. It really helps keep me on track for the day and I tend to avoid "spur of the moment" eating. My choices might change the next day (like what I planned for lunch today changed because I went to a different resturant), but as long as I stay within the same general calorie range and adjust as necessary I'm good.
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually do plan my meals unless its on a weekend.....If I know what I'm going to eat for the day, I usually log it in so I see where I stand. I think if your able to, it works better than going on a whim but that's just me :-)
  • Kkwalker88
    Kkwalker88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals the night before. It's a easy way to keep your eating in check. I find if I don't plan my meals I tend to eat things (sometimes not the most healthy stuff) because they're convenient.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I try and plan the night before although I'll plan in my head the week ahead in case I need to buy anything.

Usually it's just a rough idea, if I fancy something different I'll change it but I like planning my meals so I know how many calories I have left for if I fancy a snack.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i do, because i usually need to eat every couple hours (or i feel ill and get MEAN!) so i track the whole day either at breakfast or the night before, sometimes a couple days before (like if i find out i'm going out to lunch with a friend in a few days, i'll go ahead and put what i anticipate eating at the restaurant in my tracker for that day). this helps me get in my meals and however many snacks i end up needing. i do change it sometimes throughout the day, like if someone has candy at work and i let myself have some, i might have to change around some of my snacks and stuff, and that's fine.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I do because it's just easier that way, but I certainly don't always stick to the plan... lol.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast every day (eggs) and pretty much the same lunches during the week (with slight variations) and plan out dinners weekly. It is the only way I can be sure to stay on track. Saturdays (cheat day) I tend to just go with whatever i've got a hunger for.