Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    STEP.AWAY.FROM.THE.SCALE
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and from the last weigh I had put on 3 pounds.
    I assume my body is adjusting to my bmr / tdee plan, so I am not concerned about the scale numbers.
    I got the tape measure out and I have lost a further half inch off my waist. :smile:
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing every morning. I find it helps me accountable. My husband on the other hand can go months without giving the scale a second glance....
  • back2_200
    back2_200 Posts: 27
    Options
    Several studies indicate that those who lose the most weight and maintain weight loss get on the scale everyday. I think its perfectly right to check in everyday.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    It's only bad if you let the number affect you! I weigh myself but I know that my weight can differ depending on my cycle (TMI) and on the scale itself. My weight on my scale at home is different than at the gym and I don't let it bother me. As long as you're doing alright as in eating clean and exercising and maintaining your calorie goals then you're fine. Some people weigh once a week and that seems fair!
  • LoveyEstelle
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday but I would easily get discouraged. I "threw out" the scale for awhile but then went back to my old eating habits so I had gained quite a bit. I now only weigh-in on Friday mornings, at the same time, wearing the same outfit. It helps that my sister only weighs in on Fridays with me. She use to have the same problem but we've concurred it together. My weight doesn't determine what I do. I already know what to do so it just helps reinforce if I have folioed it or not. As with everything, a healthy glance is needed.
  • miley89
    miley89 Posts: 8
    Options
    No. I don't own a scale. If you feel better why do you need to know the numbers!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Scales lie. Use it for a partial reference, but to rely on it as your success/failure will usually lead for many to give up. Don't believe me..............................how many times have you dieted and tried to lose weight and relied on the scale as your point of reference?

Stop the insanity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    Glad my scale is broken.
  • jsugihara86
    jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, multiple times a day. Its what keeps me motivated!!
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, multiple times a day. Its what keeps me motivated!!

that's one way to burn your calories, count it as steps
  • mmadagan
    mmadagan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is almost exactly what I do! It's hard not to get down on yourself.
  • KathyChampi
    KathyChampi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes and I find it can be discouraging because your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. They say it is best to weigh yourself in the morning that's when it is the most accurate. But I think when your trying real hard to lose weight and you eat well and exercising, it is so hard to keep off the scale. We are looking for instant gratification hoping that it went down some. If your clothes are feeling looser and you feel and look better then go by that than what the scale is telling you.:smile:
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I weigh myself every morning! I can't help it, it's just like something I feel like I have to do!
    same here
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes....I do understand. While I had only lost several pounds in four weeks, I could tell my clothes were fitting very differently, due to working out almost daily. The big surprise was when I grabbed a measuring tape and discovered I had lost 3" in my waist in the first four weeks. That helped me realize the scale doesn't always report the evidence of commitment. I saw a picture of 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle and by seeing the comparison, I realized much of my 'fat' is turning to 'muscle'......so I'm smaller but not such a huge weight loss. It's easy to obsess on the scale, but I tell myself, I'm eating exceeding healthy food, I'm not really hungry, I feel better, I'm on my way. I enjoy knowing I can exercise self-control, with eating with my thinking, with my habits. Good luck in achieving your desired goals.
  • clareshard1
    Options
    I am so totally addicted to the weight loss numbers game!! Calories, lbs, dress sizes, portion sizes,, but \i try and curb it cos its really bad for me psychologically! I now weigh myself twicea week. My weigh in day is Tuesday, deliberatly chosen so I have a day between my weigh in and the weekend so I have got an incentive to stay on track over the weekend. To support that incentive I weigh myself on either a Friday or Saturday to keep that same momentum going through the weekend. If I weigh myself at the end of the week, say thursday or Friday and I have lost, I slacken up for the weekend then spend the rest of the week playing catch up so the weight loss is a lot slower. I have to force myself not to weigh myself every day tho!!
  • Serenity64
    Options
    I'm having the scale addiction issue. I've decided to not touch it until next Friday. It's really hard!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm having the scale addiction issue. I've decided to not touch it until next Friday. It's really hard!

You can do it. Stay strong! lol
    Is there a scale addiction meeting I can go to? SAA - Scale Addiction Anonymous?
  • jumanda46
    Options
    i stayed the same weight for months no matter what i did! then one day i was so annoyed when i got on the scales and once again they told me the same weight that i vowed never to go on them again!! i fixed my focus on eating healthy and exercising more and i went from a size 14 to 10......

Throw the scales away it worked for me!!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself each and every morning.... to make sure I'm where I am supposed to be and there is nothing going on that I'm not instantly aware of......

I know that there are normal fluctuations of body weight where I will be "up" as much as ten "fake" pounds.....so I allow myself a sort of sliding scale.... I "know" I can't possibly gain three pounds of body fat over night..... so I never panic after a night of binging ..... nor do I ever "lose" 5lbs of "body fat" over night.... usually means I'm flushing out excess water.....

weigh away :)