worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    (When I was unintentionally too skinny as a kid): "You look like one of those people from Ethiopia on the cover of National Geographic."

(When I was too fat as an adult): Mostly people just asking if I was pregnant. My grandma said I was getting "hefty" and my husband said I looked "thick."

(At my current, normal, healthy weight): "Are you eating? You're looking awfully skinny." "You look sickly." "You're built like a little boy." "Don't lose any more weight. You're already getting too thin."
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Oh man.....where to start?

My dad was always on my @ss about being fat: even when I wasn't. The worst thing he'd ever done was imitate me eating and oink and moo at me because I wanted another helping of whatever was for breakfast. After my mother punched him ( she was overweight too) he never made fun of me in front of her again. He would always tell me that I would never get a boyfriend because guys don't like fat girls (at FIVE). When I lost my ROTC scholarship because I couldn't lose the last 30 lbs in 3 months he yelled at me for ruining my life because I was too weak willed to lose weight. I had been running 4 miles twice a day 6 days a week and eating salads and fruit only in effort to try to make the deadline. I think I may have developed exercise bulimia.

I used together mooed at by other kids at school, food was thrown at me, I was shoved kicked and punched because fat kids can't feel it, they have the extra fat to cushion them. ( or so they liked to tell me)

I've been called lazy, ugly, weak, ect......even though I worked 16 hour shifts as a nurse's aide.

The worst thing that was said to me as an adult was " how does it feel to best fat that no man will ever *kitten* you" by another CNA from Sierra Leone. By then I grew enough of a back bone to snap back at her " I wouldn't know, because I get daily marriage proposals by from every African man I meet ( I was working in Washington dc where there was a large African immigrant population). In fact I had 4 marriage proposals on my way here...so obviously your countryman think of me as a sex symbol. I wouldn't know what that's like, so why don't you shut the *kitten* up and leave me alone. And for your information, not that it matters to me what the *kitten* you think, I've lost 40 lbs over the last month by walking, working here and 2 other jobs and going to nursing school full time and not eating. So how about you drop f*cking dead. just because I'm overweight doesn't mean im stupid, the fat is in my @ss not my head."

My father asked me the next day if I was doing cocaine or meth the next day. At the time I was going to nursing school, working 3 jobs, both full time. I was eating once or twice a day if I was lucky; so when I could eat I ate whateveri felt like eating. Because I was living in the city I took public transportation when it was either too far away to walk or I was too tired to walk. I had bough new clothes because the ones I had fell off me, and when I met him for dinner afterwards he said that too me.

My ex used to make fun of my weight, but now I have a wonderful husband who loves me no matter what I weigh. I'm very fortunate because now no one makes fun of my weight anymore, even before I started on here. I'm in a good place now :)
  • lillawyernica
    Options
    My nickname growing up used to be Piglet. The popular girls in school (middle to high school) came up with a group called the "Piggies" (an additional dig, but I didn't realize it). So I asked to join, and their response was that I was already a member. They would snort like a pig, so I thought that was cool to do. It took a good friend to tell me why everyone was laughing when I did it. The worst part, I was no bigger then than I am now, a size 12.

My mom means well, but she always says, "you know the bigger girls are always the one's with the prettiest faces, that's why you have such a pretty face."
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'd dump my girlfriend if she was half your size

Everyone just thinks youre nice, youre only nice because you have to be since youre not attractive

Im sorry, as soon as you take your clothes off, I just lose my erection <~ this past January, mid bj, after dating for 3 weeks
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My fabulous uncle once introduced me to his friend by saying, "This cow is my niece". I slapped him.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    People who make comments like that, well... what they are really announcing to the world is

"I am ugly on the inside."

It doesn't matter what words they use. The real message is clear, and it is about them.

And just an addendum -- I think everyone can remember a hurtful comment. But I hope that we all gain the strength to let it go. Don't let others define you, limit you or hold you back. Don't carry the pain forward, don't give their words the power to perpetually hurt you. I hope we all can replace those negative messages with our own inner voices of strength, determination and self-love. Because there will always be someone, somewhere ready to tear you down. What is important is that you realize "You are strong baby!"
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    It's was Mother's Day a few years ago & we were at my aunt's house. After having a few drinks, my grandfather told me that I should have put a belt on the dress I was wearing., but that wasn't possible since you need to have a waist to wear a belt & I did not have one nor would I be able to find a belt that would fit around me.
    I ran out of the house crying while my dad tore into my grandfather for saying what he did.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I Also almost got hit by a bunch of guys in a pick up when I was running and had to jump in a ditch. They cheered and screamed fatass as they drove down the road. I was to full of adrenaline to get the license plate number in order to press charges and ended up with a hairline fracture of my ankle. That's when I stopped running for good.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My mother - "you're fat"!
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    "I think you're anerexic." "I think you have an eating disorder." Yeah, it's called I LOST THE BABY WEIGHT THROUGH HEALTHY DIET & EXERCISE. I WEIGH WHAT I SHOULD FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4 YEARS- BE HAPPY FOR ME! (I just got into the "healthy/average" range for my BMI, so I'm not unhealthy.)

Before I lost the baby weight, my husband told me I had a big a** and should be in rap videos. I guess he thought it was a compliment? But it made me feel really unattractive and led me to never change clothes in front of him for a good year.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When my little cousin asked "why do you have 2 chins and I have 1?" in front of about 7 other people at a family gathering. She was 6 at the time, so there were no hard feelings, but wow does truth come out of kids! I think it was the worst for me as I was 17 at the time, had very poor body image and lacked the maturity to deal with it properly. I also was mortified because those that heard kind of vanished as soon as they heard the question.
  • carolanne84
    carolanne84 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    While in town for my aunts funeral family and family friends just had to comment on the weight I had gained after two kids. A family friend said you look healthy .... and a family member came up to me after my aunts service and whispered your *kitten* is fat! Its ok I got something for them come sept when I see them again, that was the motivation I needed to get my butt in gear and lose weight.
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was standing at a bus stop one day, a young guy walked passed me and said "frigging hippo !"

See, that's when you follow at a safe distance shrieking, "The paternity test says it's yours! Stop walking away from me! And when are you going to pay the hospital bill from breaking my jaw?"

He will never say anything rude to anyone in public again.

LMFAO THAT'S AWESOME!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly average now that I've lost some weight (for god's sake, I don't even fit into a size 6 US yet) and somebody at work the other day offered me a brownie. One man goes, "look at her. She doesn't want a brownie. She's probably one of them health food nuts." Then he looked at the sunflower seeds I was eating and goes, "that ****'s not even good for you." (Yes, let me just take food advice from you, brownie-wielding 300-pound rude man).

I'd already eaten lunch that same day when I learned they were having a lunchtime barbecue. I didn't want anything more to eat, but I went outside to hang out. Soon everybody was pointing out that I wasn't eating and I heard someone snort, "she probably only eats twice a year." I don't know what's wrong with these people that they think I'm underweight, but I can assure you, a size 8 is not underweight for a 5' 5.5'' girl. Just because you are ridiculously overweight doesn't give you jurisdiction to call me emaciated.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I got "you look like an anorexic crack wh*re" off a friend, and once someone bumped into me so hard it knocked me over and she said "try eating some pies".
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    Options
    I was at the playground with my son and this little boy (maybe 6 y/0) was huddled with his friends and said...very loudly.."That's a really fat lady" and he started laughing... I didn't miss a beat, I said " and you are a really rude little boy." He turned beat red and hid. I looked at his friends and said, " you never know why people aren't the way you are. They can be sick, they can be recovering from being injured. Try not to judge. Then the little boys younger sister came up to me and apologized for her brother. One by one the kids came up and said sorry...and I sought out the boy I embarrassed and we had a little talk. in the end all the kids including my son played together. I hope I let those kids out into the world more conscious about what they say and how it impacts people because I was teased half to death in gradeschool.
  • STLaferty
    STLaferty Posts: 38
    Options
    My former husband was constantly telling me how repulsive I was, how it made him sick to his stomach to be around me ( I was was about 30 lbs overweight). One day I was sitting down to eat with him and the kids and he looked at me with complete disgust and said "Damn Sharon- why not just belly up to the trough?!"
    That same year I began power walking for fun, it became a hobby and an activity. I lost nearly 40 lbs and asked for a divorce. To this day he claims he no idea why I wanted out of the marriage. And his 2nd wife is huge with serious health problems as a result. I really ache for her- I can only imagine what he says.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Reading all your posts, I can't believe how little tact and manners people have! Didn't anyone see Bambi- if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it! (That goes for backhanded compliments too)

As for me, I've had people ask me if I was pregnant on several occasions...genetically, I carry my weight in my stomach so of course it's my least favorite body part.

One was a 5 year old asking if there was a baby in my belly but that one I can forgive (kids don't know any better).

But THEN when I was a bit bigger than I am now, but not huge (5'9", probably around a size 10) and obese woman asked me if I was pregnant while I was with my boyfriend. Granted the shirt I was wearing was one that a pregnant person could wear but then when I said no, she kept asking if I was sure...I wanted to say 'Nope, just fat!' when in reality, she was a size at which she really shouldn't have been throwing stones- at least 2 or 3 times my size all over, not just in the belly.

The worst was when the door lady at my office asked if I was pregnant the day I had been wearing a tight fitting dress that (I thought) made me look super slim and cute. Way to make me feel like ****! And she is much more overweight than me! Don't ask people if they're pregnant unless you're 100% sure!!!

Here is a picture of me in the dress (granted I was probably a bit bigger when she made that comment, but I mean I still fit into the damn dress just fine...) http://oi43.tinypic.com/15ap88.jpg
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Someday human cruelty will cease to amaze me. On that day, I will know I have lost my humanity.

This thread proves that today is not that day.
  • cxzawerf
    cxzawerf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In middle school, a very cute popular boy sat next to me on the bus. He asked me "Do you have a boyfriend?". Excitedly I said "No". He said "Figures fat *kitten*."

When my sister was almost 9 months along, I was at church and a lady asked ME "You're due any day now arn't you?"... "No, that would be my sister. I am not pregnant let alone full term."

After my sister had the baby and lost some weight, she gave me a box of clothes saying she didn't need her "fat" clothes anymore.