worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Each guy to the their own as i like curve girls and my pal likes really thin girls but i did used to date a girl who was totally under weight and did'nt look gd and was all ways tired
    Now the comments I am getting are -

'Eat something'
    'See you later. Enjoy your starvation diet'
    'Nice collarbones'
    'Hey fatty' - from a friend clearly mocking my weight loss.

I just can't win!

Thank you! That's how I feel right now.

yep! even last Saturday night at a friend's party I had a friend come up to me and say

'You are not my type. I like girls with tits and *kitten*. Just sayin' I said 'well good for you!'

another friend said 'I don't want to touch you. I'm afraid of breaking you'

like seriously!? I am 180cms and weigh 62kgs. I have to be 5 kilograms lighter to be considered underweight.

It's just upsetting when you've put in some hard yards to look better and become a healthier version and your friends just can't handle the new change and want to put you down :/
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's wrong with these people that they think I'm underweight, but I can assure you, a size 8 is not underweight for a 5' 5.5'' girl. Just because you are ridiculously overweight doesn't give you jurisdiction to call me emaciated.

I read an article that said one reason for the obesity epidemic is that many people no longer recognize what a normal weight is, much less being extremely underweight.

One of the problems with America is there's no nuance: If you're thin you must have anorexia or some other eating disorder.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Each guy to the their own as i like curve girls and my pal likes really thin girls but i did used to date a girl who was totally under weight and did'nt look gd and was all ways tired
    Now the comments I am getting are -

'Eat something'
    'See you later. Enjoy your starvation diet'
    'Nice collarbones'
    'Hey fatty' - from a friend clearly mocking my weight loss.

I just can't win!

Thank you! That's how I feel right now.

yep! even last Saturday night at a friend's party I had a friend come up to me and say

'You are not my type. I like girls with tits and *kitten*. Just sayin' I said 'well good for you!'

another friend said 'I don't want to touch you. I'm afraid of breaking you'

like seriously!? I am 180cms and weigh 62kgs. I have to be 5 kilograms lighter to be considered underweight.

It's just upsetting when you've put in some hard yards to look better and become a healthier version and your friends just can't handle the new change and want to put you down :/

yeah fair enough, however I had never asked him if I was his type. He just came up to me out of no where and said that to me! Unnecessary I think....
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    At the end of 2011 I saw an Aunt whom I hadn't sen since my Mum's funeral early 2009. At the time of the funeral I had the 'perfect' BMI, didn't have a flt stomach but I looked slim, wasn't healthy though. (Recovered from an ED)

Anyway, after my Mum died I developed another ED, only this one caused me to gain weight.

When I saw my Aunt she said "What happened to you? You used to look so fantastic and skinny, now you look huge. Yea thanks. This coming from the woman who was going in to get a Gastric band fitted two weeks later.

I am still trying to get over the ED but finding it very hard.

My MIL keeps saying to me "You'll never be skinny again, you'll always be fat and lazy." So going to prove that ***** wrong. She is in the morbidly obese category, eats crap all day because she can't be arsed to get up and cook and has gym membership to the same place I do. But, where I go five days a week, she goes five a days a year.

I'm just thankful I have a loving and supportive husband.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I once went out with a guy who was very obese. I was thin, but watched what I ate. He used to make gourmet meals like risotto and complain if I didn't take a second helping. He wouldn't buy skim milk if he was going out to market, returning with whole milk. Yet he "joked" that he would dump me in a minute if I got fat. The definition of "passive-aggressive."

Oh, brother! Cosmo magazine sells lies, women (most of us, anyway) cannot simply eat all the food that we want and stay slim.

Society thinks it can control and judge "The Female Body." It's too big, it's too small, too curvy, too straight, and of course ... too old.

But I hope the irony of my story was not lost. Here was a FAT guy making fun of my legitimate health concerns. It's not like I didn't eat, he was a very good cook, but some of his meals were easily 500 calories a serving. I couldn't have two.

He kept expanding and got married to a very thin, petite woman.
  • jsugihara86
    jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was interviewing someone and they asked how far along I was, I wasnt pregnant.... It was a sad sad day for me! (I had just had my son 4 months prior.. but still. OUCH)
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    You're cute for a fat girl.

And, being called Mrs. Piggy
  • candyrayne215
    candyrayne215 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    "Your pretty for your size"

:mad:
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I once went out with a guy who was very obese. I was thin, but watched what I ate. He used to make gourmet meals like risotto and complain if I didn't take a second helping. He wouldn't buy skim milk if he was going out to market, returning with whole milk. Yet he "joked" that he would dump me in a minute if I got fat. The definition of "passive-aggressive."

Oh, brother! Cosmo magazine sells lies, women (most of us, anyway) cannot simply eat all the food that we want and stay slim.

Society thinks it can control and judge "The Female Body." It's too big, it's too small, too curvy, too straight, and of course ... too old.

But I hope the irony of my story was not lost. Here was a FAT guy making fun of my legitimate health concerns. It's not like I didn't eat, he was a very good cook, but some of his meals were easily 500 calories a serving. I couldn't have two.

God this sounds like my father. He was forcing my mother to eat so much food, would constantly tell her that she is fat so she ended up becoming bulemic. They ended up divorcing when I was really young but the eating disorder stuck with her for life.

He is now obese and married to a young petite woman. She eats big meals but I think she exercises a LOT to keep up with his expectations of appearance... plus she is quite young so her BMR is on her side... for now. Bit sad really.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    When I was in 8th grade my best friend told me I looked pregnant in my swim suit.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    My boyfriend's friend once asked in front of everyone at a party 'ARE YOU WEARING A BODY SUIT UNDERNEATH TO HOLD IN THE FAT?'

Wanted.to.die.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Let's see... I've had the "you'd be so much prettier if you lost weight" comment said to me. My mother said to me "well, looks like you're having no problem keeping yourself fed" and proceeded to pat my belly. I've had a guy say to me that I would never get the guy I wanted looking the way I do.

And then there was the guy I was seeing who would make jokes about my stomach and weight, and when I would get upset say "what, I don't care how much you weigh, I'm just kidding". Really? Then why say anything?
  • butterflync105
    butterflync105 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was visiting an elderly neighbor who said "Pretty soon I won't have a door that you can fit through!" I don't visit her anymore.
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The one that really stands out wasn't directed to me... it wasn't even really a statement. Back in the day, a friend posted a NYT article about microbes as a potential cause for obesity on her livejournal. Now, more than a few of us in this group of friends are obese. Some of us morbidly so. While this was an online friendship, we'd all met each other in person and seen lots of pictures and the like. Yet the comments in that thread were just awful. Not about us, but about fat people in general. At one point the article made the point that if there was a microbial cause for obesity it would help change society's attitude towards obesity. That led to comments like "yeah as if I don't try to avoid fat people already, no way would I want to be in a room with one of them if I thought I might catch the fat disease." and "well we know it can't be sexually transmitted because who would **** fat people?!" It was *shocking* to me - these are smart, well-educated geeks who know some of their friends are fat... and they were piling on about this right in front of them/us. Individually, I cannot imagine any of them (ok, one of them I can) saying anything like this but the mob mentality of it all was just so... telling. And while I still count them as "friends" in the online community sense, it has definitely changed the nature of those friendships. And that was 6? 8? years ago.

Personal statements...
    When I was about 135 and a size 8, a guy I had broken up with a year or so before saw me and the first thing out of his mouth was "well, at least you got fat".

Mom's made little "helpful" comments over the years, but the one that stung the most was last year. I hadn't really gained anything in the last 18 months or so and only 5 lbs heavier from 2 years ago (um, at 270+, 5 lbs isn't that noticeable ;)). But she hadn't seen me in 11 months and we did the hug! yay to see you! thing and the first thing she said was "you've gotten really fat." Um, yeah, like 5-10 years ago... thanks for noticing. But it still really stung.

My mom used to be over 200 lbs, and has gotten down to the 140's by healthy eating and daily walks. But, I remember at the beginning of her journey, she came home from a walk really sad. I asked her why, and she said that while she was walking, someone yelled at her that she'd "never lose weight that way."

I get the same... all.the.time.

I started this journey at 270+ and had done no exercise other than walk before I lost the first official 15 lbs (probably 20-30 in total). So, I know people who say this are idiots. The more you move, the more you lose... especially when you've got a lot to lose. Is walking the best way? Probably not. But it's better than sitting on my *kitten*. Still, I get it from friends, I've gotten it from strangers, I see it on blogs and on forums. And, honestly, the worst is seeing it on forums like this one. Way to be encouraging folks (not y'all, but the "walking is stupid" people). For some of us, it's about all we can do at the start and, even once we can do more, it's the walking that keeps us going. It really infuriates me, heh.
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I legitimately got MOOED at in middle school in the hallways. It really screwed up my sense of self. Ironically, in HINDSIGHT it was less about my weight than that I had ticked off the queen bee by beating her out for solos in chorus and got the lead in the school musical. The easiest thing to pick on me for was weight. I was certainly chubby at the time, but I wasn't obese or anything.

They sure made me feel like I was, though. I find even today I have isses with seeing myself in a good light all the time. I'm an 8 for the first time in YEARS, and I still am like, "dang, you're fat," even though logically I know I am looking better and ten times healthier than 30 pounds ago. Sigh.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Society judges the body, both male and female (though I do think the female body is judged worse), all too harshly. You're either "fat" or a "health nazi". I should know, I've been called both.

That's why I'm going for health, again, not a certain size, per say (though I wouldn't mind getting down to my highschool size again, but if I have to starve myself for it? No way!).
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ex boyfriend: "you are smart, beautiful and are such a joy to be around, you could have anything in the world BUT your weight is holding you back" -- "you're just not healthy enough for me" -- "was just going through the motions waiting to die"

--- therapy I need a lot of it hahaaaa
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    There has been sooo many over the years. My grandfather use to make me feel just terrible everytime I saw him and it hurt our relationship. The first comment that popped in my head was when I was about 8 months pregnant and it was my birthday and I was out on the town with my hubby. Some yahoo on a city bus leaned out the window and said "you're sooooo fat you need to go on Jenny Craig!". There are much harsher things to say but with baby hormones and all it made me cry.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Most of my weight tends to go to my tummy,
    My mother in-law asked me if I was pregnant :/

Also, it seems like a lot of people are making remarks about it that I once was friends with :'((
    No strangers...which makes it even worse when you have known the people.

We can make a difference in ourselves and we will-good luck to you all with your journey
    add me if you like :)
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

My mom used to be over 200 lbs, and has gotten down to the 140's by healthy eating and daily walks. But, I remember at the beginning of her journey, she came home from a walk really sad. I asked her why, and she said that while she was walking, someone yelled at her that she'd "never lose weight that way."

I get the same... all.the.time.

I started this journey at 270+ and had done no exercise other than walk before I lost the first official 15 lbs (probably 20-30 in total). So, I know people who say this are idiots. The more you move, the more you lose... especially when you've got a lot to lose. Is walking the best way? Probably not. But it's better than sitting on my *kitten*. Still, I get it from friends, I've gotten it from strangers, I see it on blogs and on forums. And, honestly, the worst is seeing it on forums like this one. Way to be encouraging folks (not y'all, but the "walking is stupid" people). For some of us, it's about all we can do at the start and, even once we can do more, it's the walking that keeps us going. It really infuriates me, heh.

You've got to start somewhere! My mom is (literally) walking proof that it works! Keep on doing what you can and stay positive. :) Contrary to popular belief, you can get to a healthy weight by making small changes.