LOVELY LADIES SUPPORT GROUP starts today!! 8/18/09

Options

Replies

• m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I'm really excited about this group. Here is my story...

I'm a single mom of two teenage daughters. I reached my goal weight after having babies 7 years ago, I did great and kept it off for 3 years then, however over the last 4 years laziness and lack of focus caused me to gain back the weight I had lose (23 pounds). So I refocused myself and started this journey on June 8th. Since then I'm down 14 pounds. I am committed to making this a lasting lifestyle change. I am very focused on getting exercise every day, I am working on the Couch 2 5k plan with a goal of running a 5 k in October. I am addicted to this website, I love reading everyone elses story, how much we can learn from each other. It is hard day to day to stay focused without support, this place is GREAT!

SW: 158
    CW: 145
    GW: 135 (Nov 1)

Jenn
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am 32, a single mother of 3 (12 - 9- 5, youngest starts kindergarten on monday!) and I work full time and have a long commute...not a lot of free time to say the least! When I was married I was depressed and found myself hovering around 220...once I realized I was not happy and my ex and I seperated (emotionally and mentally, but not physically) I began going for walks after working 12 hours...and eating better. Finally thinking of myself alittle and lost about 40 pounds! I was in a whirlwind romance continued to lose a little and a little more once that ended at the same time my best friend moved over 5 hours away. :brokenheart: That didn't last long! Finally being "alone" and having all the stress with no one to talk to drove me back to the one thing I knew was there and that "pleased" me...FOOD! Now I find myself back over 180 and again, overwhelmed, depressed and loathing myself at times. I need to break the cycle...to give myself something to work on and obtain successes as little as they may be to add to the greater goal. So here I am... Trying to eat better (have to kick the Chick-n-mini habit grrrr) and hitting the gym at lunch and Saturday mornings, here the journey begins!!!

SW ~ 184ish (don't really know)
    CW ~ 182.8
    MG ~ 175 by B-day 9/14/09 :drinker:
    GW ~ 140 :bigsmile:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I love reading everybodys stories! We're all at such different places in our lives but meet in this familiar place of weight loss. :tongue: Good luck to everyone! :smile: We've got this.

Okay - Wednesday Weigh in for me:smile: But -- it was not a happy one. My goal for this wednesday was to be down 1lb. well, thanks to TOM I stayed the same. So here's my weigh in results.

SW (last wednesday I'll use as my start weight) : 179
    CW : 179
    GW : 149

My goal for next week is 1lb. :drinker: Let's do this!!!
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    Morning All,

I am 46 (by only a week) :happy: , a married mother of 2 beautiful girls (16 and 12). Both DH and I work full time, and also have a hobby that fills our weekends during the summer. Weekends are when I have the hardest time keeping to my healthy eating. :grumble: I am awake by 5am to walk the dog, and then workout for an hour. I try to workout 6 days a week, incorporating weight and cardio. I am a home exerciser that has way to many DVD's! :blushing: I have been down to my goal weight just a couple of years ago, and then this funny thing happened AGE! :mad: Seems no matter how much I exercised or ate right I gained weight. I think I sort of gave up for a time, because what was the use. I was still exercising, but not eating very well. Now I'm on the journey down again, and have found workouts that are motivational. :heart: Jillian Michaels is a workout queen as far as I am concerned. I have also started to run again, and am feeling and looking better all the time. Glad to be part of this group.

SW: 162.5
    GW: 150
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    Morning All,

I am 46 (by only a week) :happy: , a married mother of 2 beautiful girls (16 and 12). Both DH and I work full time, and also have a hobby that fills our weekends during the summer. Weekends are when I have the hardest time keeping to my healthy eating. :grumble: I am awake by 5am to walk the dog, and then workout for an hour. I try to workout 6 days a week, incorporating weight and cardio. I am a home exerciser that has way to many DVD's! :blushing: I have been down to my goal weight just a couple of years ago, and then this funny thing happened AGE! :mad: Seems no matter how much I exercised or ate right I gained weight. I think I sort of gave up for a time, because what was the use. I was still exercising, but not eating very well. Now I'm on the journey down again, and have found workouts that are motivational. :heart: Jillian Michaels is a workout queen as far as I am concerned. I have also started to run again, and am feeling and looking better all the time. Glad to be part of this group.

Age definitely makes a difference. I swear my metabolism shut off at 37 that's when I gave up too, now 42 I'm determined to not give up!! I also LOVE Jillian Michaels, she is easy to follow, not too girly, seems like a real person.
  • mandyfairbanks
    Options
    Hi! Ok I usually weigh in on Saturdays....well to be honest I have a weighing issue and check everyday! So I weighed in this morning too! I am happy to report that I lost the 3 pounds I gained over the weekend and an additional pound! YEAH! Hope to be down 3 pounds by next weds! PS: What does DH stand for?

SW: 202.4
    NOW: 191.2
    Next Weds 8/26: 188
  • JStarnes
    Options
    Morning All,

Age definitely makes a difference. I swear my metabolism shut off at 37 that's when I gave up too, now 42 I'm determined to not give up!! I also LOVE Jillian Michaels, she is easy to follow, not too girly, seems like a real person.

Me too! I :heart: her. She's AMAZING!
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, Lovely Ladies!!:flowerforyou: Sorry I haven't checked in earlier, it has been a mad housecleaning day at my house! But you ladies have been on my mind today anyway. So yesterday I didn't have a chance to get my normal workout in, so I did 2 of the Tony Horton 10 minute trainer videos - my goodness, they may be short but he still makes you use all of your muscles and you are getting a pretty decent cardio workout as well - he uses every second of that ten minutes! I love hearing everyone's stories, I will post mine the next time I check in ( I would do it now but this post is already getting pretty long - sorry).

ok, so here goes for my Wednesday Weigh In!

Reverted back to some emotional eating last week - :grumble: not bad, just a little bit, but enough to stay at 235 for the moment. Hmmmm....Well, I guess I just need to use this as a little reminder why it's not good to fall back into bad habits. But, I am not going to dwell on last week, I am looking forward to next Wednesday, keep a positive attitude and move forward!! :drinker: (by the way, that is ice water with lemon that my little drinker man is saying cheers with!!!
  • teeneu
    teeneu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Some great losses this week!

It's great to read about everyone's background, here's mine.. I'm 36, married and have 3 boys, 8, 6 and 3. I work full time as a 2nd grade teacher. I've really been working hard this summer with exercise and eating, so I have to figure out a new routine once school starts in a few weeks.

I had a great weigh in this week and lost just over 3 pounds.

I also love Jillian Michaels and do her 30 minute Shred or the Biggest Loser strength training.

SW-226
    CW-190.8
    GW-150

Mini goal-175 by Oct. 16 my 10 year anniversary

Tink-DH usually stands for "dear husband"
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Great to see everyones updates.

I've been working on Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones - it is very similar to her 30 day shred but is 60 minutes instead of 20, really love the exercises, the planks kill me but I'm amazed at how much stronger I am each time I do it. That girl really knows how to get results.

Looking forward to a quiet weekend at home, haven't had one in a while, should have lots of good time to exercise and cook some healthy stuff!!! I'm so much better when I have leftovers to bring for lunches during the week - does anyone have any particular favorites they like to make ahead? this week I made a really healthy Lasagna. Wheat noodles, spinach, muchrooms and red peppers - Yummy!!!

Keep up the great work :)
  • JStarnes
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Great to see everyones updates.

I've been working on Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones - it is very similar to her 30 day shred but is 60 minutes instead of 20, really love the exercises, the planks kill me but I'm amazed at how much stronger I am each time I do it. That girl really knows how to get results.

Looking forward to a quiet weekend at home, haven't had one in a while, should have lots of good time to exercise and cook some healthy stuff!!! I'm so much better when I have leftovers to bring for lunches during the week - does anyone have any particular favorites they like to make ahead? this week I made a really healthy Lasagna. Wheat noodles, spinach, muchrooms and red peppers - Yummy!!!

Keep up the great work :)

Lasagna is one of my best meals for leftovers for the week - but it's not all that healthy. Would you mind sharing your recipe? What you listed sounds really good. :love:
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    Love to share - found it on Eating Well.com - Make sure to drain everything well, mine was a little soupy so will do better with that next time. I added Red Pepper strips because I saw them in another recipe and thought they would work well with this.

8 ounces whole-wheat lasagna noodles
    1 pound lean spicy Italian turkey sausage, casings removed (see Variation)
    4 cups sliced mushrooms (10 ounces)
    1/4 cup water
    1 pound frozen spinach, thawed
    1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably chunky
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 TBS dried
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 pound part-skim ricotta cheese (2 cups) or lowfat cottage cheese
    8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 2 cups), divided

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
    2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until not quite tender, about 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain; return the noodles to the pot, cover with cool water and set aside.
    3. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and water; cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage more, until it is cooked through, the water has evaporated and the mushrooms are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Squeeze spinach to remove excess water, then stir into the pan; remove from heat.
    4. Mix tomatoes with basil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
    5. To assemble lasagna: Spread 1/2 cup of the tomatoes in the prepared baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, trimming to fit if necessary. Evenly dollop half the ricotta over the noodles. Top with half the sausage mixture, one-third of the remaining tomatoes and one-third of the mozzarella. Continue with another layer of noodles, the remaining ricotta, the remaining sausage, half the remaining tomatoes and half the remaining mozzarella. Top with a third layer of noodles and the remaining tomatoes.
    6. Cover the lasagna with foil and bake until bubbling and heated through, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove the foil; sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is just melted but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 333 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 7 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
    Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (128% daily value), Calcium (23% dv), Iron (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
    1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
    Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 medium-fat meat
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group if it's not too late

My story...
    I'm 22 and a student and also work around 20 hours a week so needless to say it's hard to find time for anything besides school. Growing up I was always a chunky kid and when I got to high school it seemed to be a bigger isue with other people. I dropped about 20 pounds in high school but gained back ten by the time I went to college. Then somehow, that first summer after college. I really buckled down and got down to the lowest weight I was maybe back in middle school or before!!! I was 125 and feeling great ( I know that sounds low but I'm pretty short lol) Then of course sophomore year was tough so the weight came back on and in the last 6 months I've been heavier than ever..170!!! Yikes! So I've always been a cardio junkie and love lifting, it's just finding the time and also eating right. I live with 3 other people just out of college so it's still all about pizza, beer, and mac n cheese. lol Hopefully this group can keep me on track

SW: 172
    CW: 170
    GW:140 (or lower :happy: )
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

I also worked out with Jillian's No More Trouble Zones. I'm hoping that she puts out more. :wink: As I was eating my tortilla egg wrap this morning, I was watching ExerciseTV On Demand. There is a workout of Jillian's that I wanted to check out called Quick Trouble Zones. It was 39 min., and I found out it is No More Trouble Zones with just the warm-up / first four circuits / cool down. They have a rotation on ExerciseTV's web site that incorporates the Shred, No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and the workout I mentioned above. Was thinking of trying this 30 day rotation.

m2kjenn: Thanks for the recipe, will have to try it out on the family. But with that dang green stuff in it they may turn up their noses. :frown:
  • jtodacheeny
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Ok, here is my story -

I am 27, a mother of two - my daughter just turned 2 on july 9, and my son will be four on Aug 30. My husband and I have a construction business and we run the office part of it out of our home. So it is super busy around here, trying to corral 2 small kiddos and do the business stuff! But I love my family and feel super blessed to be where I am at! :love:
    Well, I was 170 lbs when I got pregnant with my first baby in Nov. of 2004. I ate right, exercised, was careful during my pregnancy, but I still gained a lot of weight - and I do mean ALOT!!:angry: I stopped weighing myself about six months into it because I had already gains 30 pounds and I would cry everytime I stepped on the scale - which became quite often. I talked to my DR. and she said that some people's body just kinda freak out and do what it want's during pregnancy - no matter how careful the mom is. So I don't even know how much I gained - I refused to look at the scale.

Well, after he was born, I think I weighed in about 227. I wasn't thrilled, but I started trying to lose the weight - with not much success. I don't know how serious I really was.
    she
    Then came the shocker - when he was 14 months old I got pregnant again -totally unplanned, I was pretty ...um...upset. Anyway, I was scared about the weight thing this time too, and I wasn't nearly as carefull about exercise and food - I just ate what I wanted when I wanted to - and I only gained 14 pounds!!!! Crazy!!!:bigsmile:

She just turned two and I still weigh 235. I have lost and gained probably 15 -20 lbs over the past 2 years, but here I am - :noway: Two years since my last baby and still have the weight from my first!!!

It makes me crazy!! I really want to feel good in my own skin again - it's funny, I don't feel like a fat girl, I don't know if that's denial, or what! But I am just embracing who I am - and working towards my goals.

So there it is - my story. I knew it would be long!!! oops:yawn: hopefully not tooo dull!! haha! I am so glad you ladies have decided to join me on this journey, I look forward to the friendships that are going to develope along the way!
  • jtodacheeny
    Options
    m2kjenn - Thanks for the yummy lasagna recipe! sounds great!

I have heard a ton about Jillian's workouts on MFP, and have been thinking about trying them - any suggestions for starters?
  • melmel12
    melmel12 Posts: 21
    Options
    just curious, where do you get her workouts? are they a dvd set? is it something you have to buy online...also is anyone doing the couch to 5k..i was thinking of starting that.
  • melmel12
    melmel12 Posts: 21
    Options
    just curious, where do you get her workouts? are they a dvd set? is it something you have to buy online...also is anyone doing the couch to 5k..i was thinking of starting that.
  • lvnascar
    Options
    I get my workouts mostly on-line.

amazon.com
    collagevideo.com
    totalfitnessdvds.com
    walmart.com

You can also find Jillian workouts at Target in the sporting goods section, you may pay more doing it that way.

jtodacheeny: I would say the best one is the 30 day Shred. One of the exercisers shows beginner moves.
  • m2kjenn
    Options

You also might check if you have cable, do you have an "on demand" channel. Many do. If you do ,there is a free on demand section and under that an exercise tv channel - there are tons of programs there, including Jillians shred and No More Trouble zones. I just mention it because I picked up on it from another post and found I had it and didn't even know.

I am also doing the couch to 5k - It is great. You can do a search her on the message board, there were some threads a few weeks ago that gave the websites for the pod casts. I'm finishing week three tonight!!