being late

Options

Replies

• janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I completely agree - drives me nuts! My dad was in the military, so my family was always on time if not early. However, my husband's family (brothers, parents, cousins, etc) is always late, so we tell them an earlier time. On our wedding invites, we listed 1:30pm as our starting time even though the ceremony did not start until 2:30pm.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    It has actually become a joke between my friend and I. We always have brunch every Sunday at 10:30. If I even suspect I'll be late I send a text saying I'll be a couple of minutes late - and still end up on time!

I try to be at least a couple of minutes early for everything. I'm fairly easygoing on people who are late, though. It's just a standard I hold MYSELF to, and I realize that I can't hold anyone else to the same standards as I hold myself to.

There is ONE person I know who is ALWAYS at least a half an hour late (usually more). I stopped inviting her to any functions because I KNOW she's just self-absorbed and doesn't care about anyone else's time frames. If someone else invites her to a function, I will still continue on time. If she doesn't like it - tough toodies. She should have made an effort to be on time.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't care if other people are late. *I* CAN NOT be late anywhere or I go nuts.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think it's direspectful. I have a friend who is always late. Usually by 30 minutes or more. If you want her to be somewhere at a certain time, always tell her earlier. It got to the point where if she was more than 15 minutes late I would leave unless she contacted me and let me know how long she would be.

I remember one time we were going to a wedding reception and had to be there for 6pm. We agreed she would call me when she was on her way over to my place as she lived only a few blocks away, I would then call a cab and we'd split the fare. She called me at 5:30pm, I'm thinking to tell me that she was on her way, but instead to ask what she should wear. I lover her dearly, but jeepers, not everyone runs on her time.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    oh, I thought this was another TOM post....my bad.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    stuff happens, especially when you throw kids in the mix. I try my darndest to be early, if not on time to everything, but sometimes life gets in the way. I assure you I am not, nor do I think my time is more important or valuable than anyone else's.

Ya.... Sometimes a kid just has to go right!? My niece likes to decide to try and go to the bathroom when we are rushing hahaha.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am never late. It is one of my big pet peeves, not to mention it is just rude and unthoughtful to be continuosly late. I can understand sometimes things happen that make a person late. But that is not the case with people that are late ALL of the time. I leave at least 30 min earlier when I am planning on being somewhere to compinsate if there is a tie up. If I get there early it's better then being late, then I just bring a book with me to read.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought it was TOM too, I'm outta here....
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    LOL! I am late everywhere I go. My family tells me things are earlier than they really are so that I show up on time. My boss just knows it's me. (5 minutes is my limit.) And everyone tells me I will be late to my own funeral.

I don't do it on purpose. I really just am awful with time management.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    stuff happens, especially when you throw kids in the mix. I try my darndest to be early, if not on time to everything, but sometimes life gets in the way. I assure you I am not, nor do I think my time is more important or valuable than anyone else's.

Ya.... Sometimes a kid just has to go right!? My niece likes to decide to try and go to the bathroom when we are rushing hahaha.

my son likes to inform me while we are stuck in traffic after I've asked them to go before we leave anywhere.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

This is when PLANNING (WOW, EVERY TIME so and so has to pee so maybe I should PLAN on scheduling TIME FOR IT) should come into effect!
    *face palm*
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    oh, I thought this was another TOM post....my bad.

same... lol
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I don't like being late. I always go out of my way to make sure I'm on time with whatever schedule I'm on.
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am a chronic lateness person myself. I can get to Drs appointments, meetings, everything just fine. I just cannot seem to make it on time to work to save my life. I would say I can make it to work on time once every two weeks. My boss used to yell at me but now she just doesn't say anything-its to be expected. I'm terrible!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    for me it depends. If it is a group thing ( more than three couples ) at someones house, I think 5 to 10 mins on either side of the time is ok. If everyone is meeting to go somewhere or you are meeting at a place, then you should be on time. If it is two couples going out or meeting somewhere you should be on time also.

That being said. My punctuality is horrible, I am almost always late.

On the other side though. How early is too early for people to show up? When we host we are still preparing food sometimes right up to the time people are to arrive. I don't mind when they show up early, but I always feel rude working in the kitchen while they are forced to hang out in the kitchen with me until more guests arrive.
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's actually become endearing to my friends and family, because they expect it now. Timing has never been my thing

My sister is like this. While we pick on her it still drives us nuts!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't even understand being late because of traffic unless it's something unforeseen, like getting stuck behind a wreck. You should be familiar enough with the traffic patterns in your area to know how early to leave for a date/meeting/appointment.

I'm always 10 to 15 minutes early for everything, except in cases where it would be rude, like a party at someone's home. If I'm ever late to meet you, you should call my mom because I'm probably dead.

Really? You're psychic and predict traffic accidents? I wish I had that power.
    did you read the post? It reads something unforeseen...like a wreck! Unforeseen means not predicted!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    These types of threads are funny. There is no shortage of posts to give the OP a "ditto". Well, if the overwhelming majority are so punctual then why is there a problem? Maybe it's one of those things that only other people do, like not disciplining your child in public.

I'm occasionally late. It depends on the situation. Some things call for more attention to promptness than others. I'm not going to show up 10 minutes early for a doctor's appointment. That makes no sense. In fact most of the time you will still have to wait after your appointment time anyway.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

This is when PLANNING (WOW, EVERY TIME so and so has to pee so maybe I should PLAN on scheduling TIME FOR IT) should come into effect!
    *face palm*

bravo that your kid goes when you plan for it. Nowhere did I mention EVERY TIME. I said life happens....
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options

*face palm*

You can't plan for when a kid has to go pee ma'am...