CrossFit

Options

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    There are more than enough fitness classes at the YMCA to meet my needs for variety in exercise. And I run a few times a week. That is all I want and need in a fitness program That is all MOST people want and need.

Crossfit is geraed towards people that want to push to the extreme, and that is a very small percentage of the population.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    There are more than enough fitness classes at the YMCA to meet my needs for variety in exercise. And I run a few times a week. That is all I want and need in a fitness program That is all MOST people want and need.

Crossfit is geraed towards people that want to push to the extreme, and that is a very small percentage of the population.

Ohh...I understand! That's why it's so popular and so many people pay that outrageous fee for membership! Because it's so extreme that only a small percentage of the population want or need it.

Gotcha. That makes complete sense.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I did it for a while and generally LOVED it. The gym in my old town had the friendliest and supportive people. And the members were all at different fitness levels. It was nice to be with people who were going to push me while making sure I didn't injure myself AND who were able to help me scale harder exercises to my level and build strength. (FYI I started doing crossfit at 215lbs and WAS NOT the biggest person there. With a good coach you can start where ever you are)

The gym in my current city still had AMAZING AMAZING instructors and MOSTLY great people, but there were a couple who got a little overly competitive to the point where it was rude (like wiping down the mat when I hadn't finished my workout yet).

In terms of fitness, I've never had better workouts anywhere and think that the experience was invaluable. The price was high "per month" compared to a normal gym, but keep in mind that every time you go it's like working with a trainer, so really is a steal. So don't be turned off by the price. You aren't just paying to go to the YMCA or Ballys and use equipment. You are paying for classes and training.

That being said, it was still too much for me to continue on my student salary. I still use my WOD journal at home though to make different workouts. When I have the cash .... I will be going back.

In a nutshell, if you have the means, give it a shot. See if it's for you. My one here had a 6 week on-ramp that was priced down and WORTH EVERY PENNY.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options

My big concern about Crossfit is that to become certified to instruct, all you have to do is pay $1000 and attend a weekend seminar with no pass/fail test. So you really don't know the background of the person teaching you and who is responsible for keeping you safe while doing some highly technical exercises.

So you know, MANY fitness/health positions are like this. Someone can call themselves a nutritionist with zero training or qualifications (**Registered Dietitians do have set educational standards, not talking about them). Also, many gyms or independent personal trainers have varying levels of qualifications.

My last crossfit instructor was a former Olympic athlete. You can research the people or ask them about their qualifications before handing over your cash.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif
  • M2DandA
    M2DandA Posts: 12
    Options
    There will always be people for and against ANY topic out there. If CrossFit (or whatever) isn't for you, then move on to another topic.

To the original poster, I've been doing CrossFit for seven months and have seen amazing results. I use my head and common sense. If I'm not comfortable doing something, then I don't do it. My coaches are very knowledgable and their goal is form and then speed/weight, etc. I've seen me make milestones and do things I never was able to physically do before.

Oh, my cost is $115/mo. I'd rather pay that and get the workouts and see results, then pay $30/mo and not go or not push myself. Check it out and see if it's something you're interested in.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Are you freakin kidding me ??? You honestly think those pansy classes at the YMCA are going to get you in shape ??? I suppose you ponder that thought after the class with your frappe latte that has 3000 calories in it..... give me a freakin break

You are one of the ladies at my gym that sit on the machines and look around at others busting their *kitten* off and wonder why you are not getting in better shape. You lack heart !

You are already at the gym, you are already in pain, you are already sweating......get a REWARD from it ! If you are gonna go, make it worth your time !

Pansy *kitten* exercising is wasting your time..... stay home and either clean or work in your garden, it's better exercise... !
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Are you freakin kidding me ??? You honestly think those pansy classes at the YMCA are going to get you in shape ??? I suppose you ponder that thought after the class with your frappe latte that has 3000 calories in it..... give me a freakin break

You are one of the ladies at my gym that sit on the machines and look around at others busting their *kitten* off and wonder why you are not getting in better shape. You lack heart !

You are already at the gym, you are already in pain, you are already sweating......get a REWARD from it ! If you are gonna go, make it worth your time !

Pansy *kitten* exercising is wasting your time..... stay home and either clean or work in your garden, it's better exercise... !

Y u mad tho?
  • tabinmaine
    Options

Y u mad tho?

I am not mad, I am just baffled and dumbfounded that she could be that ignorant and talk about things she knows nothing about.... lol

I guess also, I am tired of hearing women complain about no results when they don't work hard and they eat crap and then they say "oh it's too hard" or they refuse to lift weights or sweat...... if you don't want it bad enough, don't put down others who do !
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Crossfit is nothing miraculous. There are people who started in Crossfit and have gone on to be competitive in strength sports, and there are people who have ended up messing up their back or getting another serious injury because they had a bad coach who let them do lifts with bad form with too much weight. Each facility and coach should be judged on their own merit.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    There is no doubt in my mind that people have gotten hurt doing Crossfit, as they have running or riding their bikes. I don't even do Crossfit but that's not for lack of wanting to. The nearest gym is 3hrs from me.

With that being said, I lift, and I lift heavy, and I do/copy many of the Crossfit exercises in my gym, set up my own circuits and go to town.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    There is no doubt in my mind that people have gotten hurt doing Crossfit, as they have running or riding their bikes. I don't even do Crossfit but that's not for lack of wanting to. The nearest gym is 3hrs from me.

With that being said, I lift, and I lift heavy, and I do/copy many of the Crossfit exercises in my gym, set up my own circuits and go to town.

The Crossfit exercises aren't unique to Crossfit though. I think that's something else that annoys people. Crossfit tries to claim exercises that have existed for many decades.
  • tabinmaine
    Options

The Crossfit exercises aren't unique to Crossfit though. I think that's something else that annoys people. Crossfit tries to claim exercises that have existed for many decades.

True, but they are put together differently and the concept is new..... and it's very motivating to watch it. I love the fact that women are heavily involved in it, that's what attracts me the most. The strength demonstrated in those women along with their endurance is amazing. I have never seen a program that gets such well rounded results .....especially in women
  • Health_Gal
    Options

True, but they are put together differently and the concept is new..... and it's very motivating to watch it. I love the fact that women are heavily involved in it, that's what attracts me the most. The strength demonstrated in those women along with their endurance is amazing. I have never seen a program that gets such well rounded results .....especially in women

I HATE to see women getting involved with Crossfit!

They tear up their hands and scrape their legs and get strained and pulled muscles and all sorts of other unnecessary injuries.

I think strength training is great for women when done in moderation. But the kind of extremely heavy lifting that's expected with Crossfit can do more damage than good -- ESPECIALLY to women, who are not built like men are.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

They tear up their hands and scrape their legs and get strained and pulled muscles and all sorts of other unnecessary injuries.

I think strength training is great for women when done in moderation. But the kind of extremely heavy lifting that's expected with Crossfit can do more damage than good -- ESPECIALLY to women, who are not built like men are.

Wow...this statement is just ignorance on a plate. Everything about it, seriously!

HEAVY strength training is incredibly benificial to women.

Why do you keep coming back? Do you truly think you're going to convince anyone? Virtually every person in here but you agrees that it's as safe as any other workout routine, with trainers as qualified as any other trainers (on average of course).

What's your issue lady?

I'd also like to ask...what's extremely heavy? I'm curious? Where's the guage that says 'this is extremely heavy, that isn't'?
  • M2DandA
    M2DandA Posts: 12
    Options

Since you don't do CrossFit, then you're set! You don't HAVE to see these women and all of their so-called injuries. WTF. Extremely heavy lifting? I lift what I can and I'm darn proud of it. Good thing you weren't there recently to see me hit my personal record of 225lb deadlift. My SMILE was huge. I don't have pulled muscles, etc. Because I use common sense and correct form. There are no weight limits or weights that are 'expected'. Each work out's weight is dependent on the person.

Geez, move on to another topic and go back to the YMCA where it's safe there from any heavy workouts, scrapes, sore muscles, etc..
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

Stop invalidating the reasonable points against Crossfit with your ridiculous statements.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    talking-to-a-brick-wall-diamondlypse-seattle.jpg
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

true, the weight lifting techniques are not new, but few lay people have heard of things like muscle ups, power cleans, clean and jerks, etc etc, until crossfit started making it a little more mainstream. moves that were once considered to be specific to certain fitness circles, such as body builders or gymnasts, are made more accessable to regular fitness enthusiasts.
  • Health_Gal
    Options

Since you don't do CrossFit, then you're set! You don't HAVE to see these women and all of their so-called injuries. WTF. Extremely heavy lifting? I lift what I can and I'm darn proud of it. Good thing you weren't there recently to see me hit my personal record of 225lb deadlift. My SMILE was huge. I don't have pulled muscles, etc. Because I use common sense and correct form. There are no weight limits or weights that are 'expected'. Each work out's weight is dependent on the person.

Geez, move on to another topic and go back to the YMCA where it's safe there from any heavy workouts, scrapes, sore muscles, etc..

Actually, I see Crossfit injuries on people that come to the YMCA as well as doing Crossfit. And they aren't very pretty!