Do you ever call in sick when your not?

Options

Replies

• KristysLosing
    Options
    I don't - It's a privilege that will be taken from us if we abuse from it !

What would be taken away? The ability to call in sick? I don't think that would fly anywhere.

I have done it. I had a job that was stressful and I would take mental health days, as I've heard them called, because I felt I needed the break. But I've gotten used to it now and I don't do it. I hate calling in. My last sup was awful about it. I would get up extra early and leave her a voicemail because she wasn't nice about it if you talked to her. It's much easier to take PTO at my current position than before, so there's really no need.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I will honestly answer I do not call in sick. I usually go into work when I am sick. I was out for surgery one time and had the office call me not even three hours out of surgery. Then called multiple times a day for the two weeks I was out. Sick time is something I wish I could do.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I did once-and was fired. They couldn't prove anything but they still fired me. Been unemployed now for 7 months so I would not recommend it.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I sure do. Some days I just don't have the energy to get up and go to work.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Not since I was 16 and worked at a grocery store. If you love your job, are professional and are constantly working to be promoted and succeeding then why would you jeopardize that? Take a vacation day or flex day if you are fortunate to have those, I am! If it's an emergency family issue then yes you can call in sick when technically you are not 'sick'.

I've been sick before and finally had to break my streak of never calling in sick in 7 years which was my entire career since graduating University when I caught H1N1 flu and it was corporately mandated you stay home, plus I was sick as a dog so it was much needed rest.
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do but then my excuse usually comes true, so I try not to lol
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've called in sick 2x in the last 10 years. Once was because I cut the end of my thumb off on a miter saw and the other was sick and ended up in the emergency room. Prior to that, I'd called in sick when one of my kids was home sick from school.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I take mental health days probably more than I should. I only feel bad about it when I know that I don't have enough work for my students to do (I'm a Spanish teacher, and none of our subs teach Spanish, so all my sub plans have to be stuff the kids can do without any help).
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I am debating wether or not to call in "sick" friday. i just feel burnt and tired. and all my other coworkers or out here and there and im the one that is always here and does everything. when im at this point with my job i dont feel guilty for calling out cause i feel over worked and taking advantage of. and i hate feeling like this!!

I can't do Mondays or Fridays. Those are the days that I feel I won't be believed, whether or not I'm sick. In my last position, those were our busiest days and it would be frustrating when people would call in on those days. But I was always afraid that they will think, or know, that I just wanted a long weekend!
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't. First of all, my coworkers are mostly incompetent, so I'll come back to a HUGE mess the next day OR get called with a million questions and have to logon from home anyway - not worth it! If I'm so sick I can't make it to the office, I work from home instead. Second, I have coworkers who call in sick all the time and I suspect they're not really sick - especially the girl who's used up ALL her vacation time already and it's only the beginning of April - and I know how much it annoys me when she does that because the workload falls on other people and it's just not fair. I don't want to be the one to cause others more work.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No...mainly because, as a receptionist for a GP, if I called in sick, I'd come back to *double* the work the next day. =(
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I did once-and was fired. They couldn't prove anything but they still fired me. Been unemployed now for 7 months so I would not recommend it.

Perhaps they had other reasons? Otherwise it was a crappy place that would fire you for calling in once...
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am debating wether or not to call in "sick" friday. i just feel burnt and tired. and all my other coworkers or out here and there and im the one that is always here and does everything. when im at this point with my job i dont feel guilty for calling out cause i feel over worked and taking advantage of. and i hate feeling like this!!

I can't do Mondays or Fridays. Those are the days that I feel I won't be believed, whether or not I'm sick. In my last position, those were our busiest days and it would be frustrating when people would call in on those days. But I was always afraid that they will think, or know, that I just wanted a long weekend!

I agree! Tuesdays are usually my most exhausted day, so I would love to take a mental health day on a Tuesday now and then, but then I have meetings that I have to make up if I miss them, so I don't do Tuesdays either.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

Perhaps they had other reasons? Otherwise it was a crappy place that would fire you for calling in once...

other reasons? Like having a ***** for a boss! Who had an affair with a co-workers fiance' and ended up marrying him. The girl was supposedly her best friend and was also fired for "no real reason" I was a friend of hers...... (hummm)
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    If I don't work, I don't get paid. No sick time, no vacation time, no health insurance. This was the case when I was full time, so now I am just part time.
  • KristysLosing
    Options

other reasons? Like having a ***** for a boss! Who had an affair with a co-workers fiance' and ended up marrying him. The girl was supposedly her best friend and was also fired for "no real reason" I was a friend of hers...... (hummm)

That would be another reason. Some people are just crappy human beings!
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    Options
    Some people have said stuff like, it's a personal day, a mental health day or it's "my time". Maybe your answer depends on how your company handles your time off. My company provides personal holidays, vacation days and sick time. So if I call out sick, then it comes out of my sick time. So at my company it is directly abusing company policy and lying to use a sick day when you're not actually sick or have a doctor's appointment. We also don't typically have a difficult time getting approved for requests for vacation days or personal holidays.
    If your company just has one bank of time off and your vacation and sick time comes out of the same bank, then I could maybe (only maybe) understand why some people wouldn't think it was wrong.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have

I woke up in the morning and the wind was howling and it was freezing cold out. Just the thought of walking out to my car to start it made me shiver so I called in sick.

Except now I own my own business and work for myself so if I don't come in I don't get paid.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Other than a severe illness I use my Sick days soley when I am not sick so I can enjoy the day. Im that gross person who goes to work coughing up a lung. But if I am so sick that I cant move I obviously won't go.
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I get sick often so it's hard to call in because they'll end up hearing the same excuses time and time again. I don't like admitting my weaknesses, but I admit that I have done it out of pure laziness and stress. I was so overbooked with school assignments once that I just had to call in, there was no other way around it!