Why you wouldn't mix cardio and strenght training

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If there is roughly total 2000cals of glycogen stores in my muscles + liver, presuming I do eat carbs to replenish these and am not in a ridiculously low deficit, why then can we not do say, for example, a 300cal strength session followed by a 400cal cardio session? are there still 1300cals of glycogen sitting in the muscles ready to be used for repair + general movement?
    If you eat properly, you will replace all your glycogen stores within 24 hours, even after a very hard exercise session.

If you do not eat properly then you will gradually deplete them until there is nothing left.

Also, after a 400 cal cardio session it is hard to say how much glycogen you used since there is always a combination of glycogen and fat being burned. The more aerobiclly fit one is the more fat will be burned as opposed to glycogen.

From my understanding we can only replenish glycogen at 5% per hour, doesn't matter how many carbs you eat. Elite athletes can replenish it at 10% per hour.
    Well, at 5% per hour you will back at 100% in 20 hours or less depending on how depleted you are.

Oooh. Arithmetic!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Razi's post is about mass building, you're talking about weight loss. I will email you one of my blog post. I created this very nice fat loss plan. My goal is to get very low bodyfat. I did a lot of research on it from top authorities, and top bodybuilders, I put a plan together after my research. It preserves muscle mass, and very effective at fat burning.

I would be interested in seeing your plan as well. I have my own (which from your earlier posts is similar to yours), but the food part of it I haven't been very regimented on. I dropped 40lbs in 3mos, doing nothing more than full body strength training 3x a week for 30-45 minutes. My diet only changed moderately...but if I can get super results (I was injured and gained some back due to forced inactivity) by changing that to some extent as well...I'd be happy to look into it further.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If there is roughly total 2000cals of glycogen stores in my muscles + liver, presuming I do eat carbs to replenish these and am not in a ridiculously low deficit, why then can we not do say, for example, a 300cal strength session followed by a 400cal cardio session? are there still 1300cals of glycogen sitting in the muscles ready to be used for repair + general movement?
    If you eat properly, you will replace all your glycogen stores within 24 hours, even after a very hard exercise session.

If you do not eat properly then you will gradually deplete them until there is nothing left.

Also, after a 400 cal cardio session it is hard to say how much glycogen you used since there is always a combination of glycogen and fat being burned. The more aerobiclly fit one is the more fat will be burned as opposed to glycogen.

From my understanding we can only replenish glycogen at 5% per hour, doesn't matter how many carbs you eat. Elite athletes can replenish it at 10% per hour.
    Well, at 5% per hour you will back at 100% in 20 hours or less depending on how depleted you are.

Oooh. Arithmetic!

lol......soooo, the maths seems say strength + cardio + eating enough carbs = no problem.....? agree? disagree?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    lolli, that would be my conclusion. But I'm just a girly girl, and had to seek advice from a knowledgeable friend to cope with all the bro-science in this thread. :-)
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    lolli, that would be my conclusion. But I'm just a girly girl, and had to seek advice from a knowledgeable friend to cope with all the bro-science in this thread. :-)

The funny thing about knowledgeable friends, is depending on WHERE they learned what they learned...

They can be completely wrong.

Seriously, there's so many conflicting viewpoints even among the 'knowledgeable professionals', the common person doesn't have a chance. The minimum you can do is pick someone who has already achieved the results you're looking for, and try to emulate. If you need more control...research for yourself and experiment on your own.

But I will say this...Raz and his results fall within methods used by some pretty well known and respected people in the fitness industry, and oddly enough, they're not the ones out selling their snake oil to make a buck. Bro-science or not, it's clearly working.
  • itschristine
    itschristine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...

When I go to the gym I warm up on the elliptical for 10 minutes then do about 45 minutes of strength training. I then finish off with about 15-20 mins on the stationary bike. In terms of calories burned doing cardio, it works out at around 200 cals.

So does this mean i'm ok to keep doing these on the same day as weights? Or have I just got confused?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...

When I go to the gym I warm up on the elliptical for 10 minutes then do about 45 minutes of strength training. I then finish off with about 15-20 mins on the stationary bike. In terms of calories burned doing cardio, it works out at around 200 cals.

So does this mean i'm ok to keep doing these on the same day as weights? Or have I just got confused?

I'd say your close but I'd reduce the back end cardio to no more than 10 minutes. If you have that much energy left at the end of the strength training, kick up the intensity of the strength training.
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    Interesting information. Bump for later!!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...

I'd say your close but I'd reduce the back end cardio to no more than 10 minutes. If you have that much energy left at the end of the strength training, kick up the intensity of the strength training.

I must agree. If you have any energy left, much less 20 minutes of biking after strength training - you need to kick it up a notch. I'm KILLED after my strength training - can barely make it out to the car. Warming up - yep! I do about 5 minutes on the elliptical.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Hmmm...

I can understand 5-10 minutes of cooldown cardio after strength training...but as has been said, if you're putting the right kind of effort into your strength training (assuming you're doing this for fat loss), you'll have to force yourself to get on that bike for even 5 minutes lol.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ha, ok, thanks for the comments! I'm currently doing strength training on the machines - not ideal I know, but I am trying to build up a bit of arm strength before I venture into the free weights section :embarassed:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I kow for a first timer and a woman, the free weight are can be a little intimidating but I'd suck up my courage and get ove there. You build a little strength much faster than on machines. Belive me, over there most people are more serious about thier own workouts and won't be watching you at all other than to think how cool it is for a woman to be in the free weight area. Just by going there, you gain respect. I don't care if you start with a bare bar. BTW, that is what I warm up with for squats. 2 sets with nothing but the bar to stretch out.To get some ideas of a program look up New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. Then come on back here and let us know how your doing!
  • lulucall911
    lulucall911 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah

do what works for YOU. the end.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    Excellent info, true to the T, but it seems to work fifferently for different people.

I agree
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Great post - Thanks!!!!!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I just started NROLFW (I'm at my own pace and not very high # weights but am doing it) and I was feeling a little "lazy" to just do the weight training and not do anything else the rest of the day. This makes sense. I try to do weight training 3x a week and run 3x a week. Should I not run as much or is that ok that I run on opposite days that I lift? You are very knowledgeable and I am feel like I'm flying my the seat of my pants.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Ha, ok, thanks for the comments! I'm currently doing strength training on the machines - not ideal I know, but I am trying to build up a bit of arm strength before I venture into the free weights section :embarassed:
    Im actually opposite I would have father done the free weights than the machines. And yes the "guy" room they are focused on them and wont be worrying about what you are doing other than the fact that you are supr cool to be in the boys room. LOL! I know when I ventured to the real weight room at work (I work at a college so mostly its for the athletes) the guys thought it was pretty cool we were in there. Of course they made sure we were doing our squats and deadlifts correctly.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Marking this so I can come back to it later ....