"y'all"

Options
14567810»

Replies

• shelbyterry5
    shelbyterry5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas and I've always known that ya'll is not proper but in a conversation I use it ALL the time. I live in New York currently and all the girls I work with think it is so funny but I can not help it. All of ya'll from Texas know what I mean :)
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think Y'all is a Southern thing, and I know it's a Texas thang! Not a thing, a thang. By the way, Texas is not part of the South. Texas is just Texas, the former Republic of Texas and therefore much bigger than the South. :) If you don't believe me, ask any Texan.

Other terms that have the same meaning as Y'all

Youse... mostly heard by New Yawkers

Yu'ins. A popular term in Southern Missouri and Southern Illinois.

Hahahah YES! Us Texans have kind of an out of control amount of state pride :) I love it!

Amen!

Hell yeah, y'all! :laugh:

Texas is a southern state. Some one needs to do some research. And yes I'm a Texan born and raised.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also hate the response to a misheard/unheard question or statement: "Do what?" THAT SOUNDS STUPID. I'm a hater.

You'd probably hate me, then, because I have a slight learning disability which causes me to respond to pretty much anything that anyone says with "What was that?", even if I hear them loud and clear. There's a lapse in comprehension between my ears and my brain, so I eventually get what people say, but it takes a second.

So, you know, remember that before you call someone stupid for asking you to repeat something, even if they ask in a way that annoys you (I also have a 146 IQ and a college degree, so I like to think I'm not anywhere close to stupid).

I agree with the first poster. I hate the question "Do what". I generally respond, "I didn't say to do anything. I said..."

To the second poster, I think you misunderstood. It's not asking what was said that is the issue. It's asking "Do what?"
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also hate the response to a misheard/unheard question or statement: "Do what?" THAT SOUNDS STUPID. I'm a hater.

You'd probably hate me, then, because I have a slight learning disability which causes me to respond to pretty much anything that anyone says with "What was that?", even if I hear them loud and clear. There's a lapse in comprehension between my ears and my brain, so I eventually get what people say, but it takes a second.

So, you know, remember that before you call someone stupid for asking you to repeat something, even if they ask in a way that annoys you (I also have a 146 IQ and a college degree, so I like to think I'm not anywhere close to stupid).

No, I wouldn't hate you! I just hate the response "Do what?" - it sounds ridiculous, ha. And I have to ask people to repeat themselves all the time, you're not alone.

Ah, OK. I was totally just making fun of people for being humorless on the internet, too. Hello, irony. I just get irrationally annoyed about these things, because I get sick of people yelling at me in RL for something I can't control. Usually, it's the jerks who talk away from me or talk really quietly that yell, too.

I do say "Do what, now?" sometimes, but only when people specifically ask me to do something (and only if it's someone I know).
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    I say ya'll but I'm from up north (Pittsburgh, PA) hmm..
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    "Yu'ins" (assumed 2 syllables) may be southern Illinois and Missouri, but Pittsburgh, PA, has it's own dialect that includes "yunz". Formally known as Pittsburgheze, this dialect also includes "pop" for soda, "gumbands" for rubber bands, and "jagger bushes" for thorn bushes. Myron Cope was the poet laureate of Pittburgheze when I was growing up there.

That would be correct :) but it's more like "yinz" instead of "yunz". I say ya'll but my gram says "yinz"
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I lived in Texas for 5 years. Y'all was often used in the singular. My favorite Texism though was "there came a flood."

"I was fixin' to come and visit y'all but there came a flood."
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Ohio and while living there I thought the use of Y'all was stupid.

Now after having moved to NC and living here for 5 years I can't keep from saying Y'all. It is now a part of my every day word usage. I tried really hard in the beginning not to say it but it just kept popping out of my mouth!!

"Fixin" is a word I used in Ohio as was "Reckon"
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Y'all

You all
    You all are
    All of you

EX: Y'all funny (All of you are funny)
    Y'all need to shut up! (You all need to shut up!)

Personally unless you're using it as dialog, I wouldn't use Y'All on a paper of any kind...unless of course you go to school in Texas, then it's okay.
    lol. Sadly we can't use ya'll in papers in Texas. I've been working this word out of my vocabulary, but it sneaks in every once in a while :laugh: