Beginners Walking Challenge Session 3

Options
Greetings all! :flowerforyou:

This new thread is our Walking Challenge, open to everyone. Our original thread was started by spunkiemunkie503, who helped to get our ball rolling! We all motivate each other to keep going every week and succeed in our lifestyle change.

Here's how it works-

This "session" will run from August 22nd to October 2nd (6 weeks). Why 6 weeks? From what I've learned, it takes 6 weeks to break a habit and 6 weeks to make a new habit. And everyone can commit to something for 6 weeks!!!

For this session, we will start each workout week on Saturday and end it on Friday. Our challenge is to walk 3 days (or times) per week for 30 minutes a day (or time). On Saturdays, we will check in and report our walks and, as a bonus (for some), our weight loss for the week.

We also talk about what works for us. Feel free to join us, more are always welcome!!!

Cheers! :drinker:

Replies

• stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Okay, as many of you know, I've had some recent issues with achilles tendonitis, so I have to take it easy with the walking (I guess that going 6 days a week at 5+ mph isn't really a smart thing to do :frown: ). So, while my workouts won't necessarily be walking too much, I will consider them to be a "walk in spirit", since I started with the Challenge back when it began.

That being said, I started this week out with a nice swim--25 laps (1 lap=50 yards) in about 36 minutes. 35 laps makes a mile (according to the sign at the pool), so I swam 0.7 miles.

Good luck on your walking, everyone!

Cheers! :drinker:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am jealous. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE swimming. Good for you!

I walked / ran this morning, 33 minutes, burnt 300 calories. I really wanted to go longer, but 5 year old dd had other ideas in the stroller. She has Rett Syndrome, started new meds last night and they are messing with us. Hopefully better tomorrow!:smile:
  • sportsfanatic212
    Options
    I would like to join this group. I look forward to keeping up with everyone on a weekly basis.
  • emmie110
    emmie110 Posts: 176
    Options
    Oh great!! Glad to see walkers jumping back in here. I'll report back later after I've walked. I have a pedometer so I think I'll post my steps for the day too. That will push me to move more. :flowerforyou:
  • Mausie
    Mausie Posts: 38
    Options
    Hmm ... surely sounds good! I need to start getting off my butt anyways and was planning on walking / jogging again ... so what better motivation!?
  • Calif1971dreamin
    Calif1971dreamin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'm in. This is just the group I need. If I have to report to someone what I am doing, I am more likely to do it. I try and walk 2 miles 3 times a week. I am trying to do it on a daily basis, sometimes I succeed sometimes I fail, but with your help I know I will . :happy:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone or is it good morning.:flowerforyou: I walked 30 mins this afternoon while pushing / pulling my grandson in his Little Tykes car and then did the Leslie Sansone 4 mile, 50 min
    walk this evening. Made a bad choice in food today Echrich Sausage and sauerkraut killed me in sodium. My goal for next month is to be more diligent in checking food BEFORE I eat it. Enjoy your Sunday
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yay! I'm in!!!

I walked yesterday, but I start a new job tomarrow so I'm not sure how the walking will go. But it is great to have this challenge to keep me motivated.
  • LaurelFisher
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone:flowerforyou: Does bike riding count? I am doing my Leslie Sansone 2 miles later and I just got back from riding my bike 4 miles. Tomorrow is weigh in and I am praying my bad food choices last week:grumble: don't jump up and bite me in the butt:laugh: Have a wonderful Sunday and remember to Drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drink:drinker:drink that water, Rosemary
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Laurel, I rode my bike today too. Rode that bike 20 minutes and 201 calories gone for good!!!:smile:
  • emmie110
    Options
    Just checking in for last night. I walked 5,196 steps. I didn't go out and walk - was just all over the house cleaning and moving furniture all day. Definitely got my activity in - since my feet were aching when I woke up this morning. Probably go for a walk this evening. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
  • emmie110
    Options
    Good evening everyone or is it good morning.:flowerforyou: I walked 30 mins this afternoon while pushing / pulling my grandson in his Little Tykes car and then did the Leslie Sansone 4 mile, 50 min
    walk this evening. Made a bad choice in food today Echrich Sausage and sauerkraut killed me in sodium. My goal for next month is to be more diligent in checking food BEFORE I eat it. Enjoy your Sunday

I always forget about the high sodium in some foods. This explains a lot since we've had Italian Sausages quite a bit this summer.
  • Calif1971dreamin
    Calif1971dreamin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hooray, I just walk 2 16 minute miles and road a stationary bike for 20 minute. I feel fantastic. It only took me all day to do it, but I did it. :laugh: I will do it again tomorrow after work. :flowerforyou:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    2 miles for me today. I walked 26 miles this week. :heart: :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: Happy walking everyone !! Cindy :heart:
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad we got another session going!

Hello to all of the new ppl that just joined! I wish you the best of luck! :flowerforyou:

I haven't had much time to walk this weekend bc I've been working doubles almost every day and I unfortunately got in a car accident yesterday...I'm ok tho! my car isn't :ohwell: .
    I did however get a few running and walking days in this week. I even ran in the rain lol It's actually pretty refreshing :happy:
    I work doubles monday and tuesday so I'm hoping to get in some hardcore exercise both days! :happy:
    I hope everyone is doing well!

Stay motivated :flowerforyou:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :happy:
    Walked 40 minutes today, even though I usually take off Sunday. I felt like walking, so off I went:laugh:

Everyone have a good week.
  • emmie110
    Options
    Got 2387 steps in today. Not so good...but I'll get more in tomorrow when we are doing last minute back to school shopping.
  • LaurelFisher
    Options
    Good morning everyone,:flowerforyou: well the bad choices did bite me in the butt after all:frown: to the tune of three pounds. OR COULD IT BE MUSCLE:laugh: I could only dream. Back on the program as of today. It's raining so I guess I will be exercising in doors today. Everyone have a wonderful Monday.
    And remember to drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drink:drinker: that water, Rosemary
  • cpafford79
    Options
    Hey everybody! It's been forever since I have logged any miles on here! I am still walking my 15 minute breaks at work (which is about 1 mile distance). I have really been struggling the past couple of weeks with my workouts. My kids started back to school 2 weeks ago, and now I have all the after school activities that are gearing up again. So, I am having to work around my families schedule to get some time in for work outs. :ohwell: Luckily, I went shopping this weekend, and am still able to fit into smaller clothes, eventhough I haven't seen the scale budge at all. :happy:
  • cpafford79
    Options
    One more thing....

Cindy you look FABULOUS!! I just saw your new profile pic and you can really tell the difference! Way to go HOT MAMA!! :love: