How many ounces of water do you drink a day?

I'm new to MFP (so far, so good :) but I'm curious as to how much water many of you are drinking. I have a 32 ounce water bottle and try to finish it 2-3 times a day. Some days it's far easier than others, LOL.

I know the site recommends 64 ounces, but I've seen such incredible success stories here I'm wondering if most of you aim for that total or drink more/less.

Thanks!!

Replies

• mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 179 Member
    I drink about a gallon of water per day.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    64-96oz most days. Almost never under 64. That is just plain water, not including anything else I might drink, though most days I only drink plain water.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    when i started my weight loss journey back in january i was faithful to 8 glasses a day. joined mfp about a month ago. haven't lost any weight, or significant weight in a few weeks. in looking over my food diary yesterday i noticed that 6 was becoming more my average. yesterday i challenged myself to drink a gallon. i did. peed a ton, but was off from work, so it was easier. i found a big mug i like to drink out of and found out i got to fill it and drink it 5 times a day to drink a gallon. for some reason that is less intimidating then staring at the water jug and saying i have to empty it.

bottom line, i guess, is drink as much as you can. after a while you will be able to listen to your body telling you it needs more. then drink more. i increased mine yesterday after i realized i wasn't drinking as much as i was, wasn't losing any more weight, and increased my exercise over the last few days.

plus, if my goal was 8 and i wasn't meeting my goal, i was more near 6. i am thinking now of my goal being a gallon, and if i don't reach that b/c i just can't drink that last mug, it'll still put me around 8 glasses.

good luck!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Probably a couple liters a day.
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Between 120-144oz per day of plain filtered water.
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    I only drink one cup of coffee and all the rest water for the day. I only drink around 32-40 oz of water a day. I hope I am getting enough. I don't get very thirsty though.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    kind of an interesting "Quiz" to tell you how much H2O to consume... http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    my goal is to get 8-10 8oz glasses
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    right now my goal is 136 oz a day.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    About 100 ounces
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Usually at least 60 ounces. I stop keeping track at that point.
  • A gallon or more...my kidneys enjoy floating. :smile:
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    120oz
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    I drink 32-96 oz of water at the gym depending what I am doing that day and how much I drank earlier in the day. And I drink at least 24 to 32 oz at work. So 56-128 oz per day depending on how thirsty I am/what I ate/how hard my workout is.
  • 160 to 170 oz. amounts to about 22-23 cups per day.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Drink as much as you need, no more, no less.

Given the differences caused by climate variations, differences in exercise levels etc, giving an absolute recommended amount on a site like this which has members who live in deserts and the Arctic and everything in between is both stupid and potentially dangerous.

EDITED TO ADD: Don't be fooled by broscience that says there's anything special about drinking plain water. Your body needs H20 period, whether that's consumed as soup, as moisture in roast chicken (60% water!) plain water, fruit or as tea. And no, tea does not dehydrate you. That used to be the thinking but the latest research has disproved it.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Depends on how active I am. If I go running I can easily polish off half to a whole 32 oz water bottle afterwards. I also make a point to drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, out of my 18oz tumbler glass. I drink a lot of water throughout the day though, and will usually drink at least half my Nalgene, and then several more glasses of water from my tumbler. I dehydrate easily, so I have to hydrate a lot.
  • 4-6 16oz glasses a day plus the water you get from food.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    120-160 oz
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 204 Member
    64 to 96 Oz.'s per day.