% carbs / protien / fat / etc per day OR just calories

Options

Replies

• amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein and fiber and stay under on carbs, fat and cholesterol. I try to keep it right around my calories allowed. It is finally working for me and my super thyroid problems.
  • btm03
    btm03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For those of you using the 40/30/30 ratio, how much fiber are you supposed to get a day? I've been looking for this answer and can't find it. Thanks!
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Right now I am just concentrating on calories, which I am usually under. I probably pay more attention to sodium since I swell up like a tick, but I try not to over do it in any categories. Except sugar. I took it off my list because on a normal day I eat alot of fruit and I always go over.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My aunt and uncle used the book "The Formula" to lose weight and have done great. I am reading the book right now and am not sure if I want to follow it or not. It is kind of confusing and a lot of work to figure out how to keep each meal and snack within the 40/30/30 guidelines. I am still reading, though so maybe something will click. What I haven't figured out, though, is how veggies fit into the plan. When looking at the meal plans there is fruit that is accounted for but not veggies like spinach, broccoli, etc. Seems that you should be able to have as many of those as you want but I am not sure. I do want to point out that the calorie recommendations are pretty low, so the "eat more, lose more" people should seemingly not like this plan. Even Elite athletes who weigh more than 180 are supposed to only eat about 2000 calories a day.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I keep protein up and sugar down. Fiber over 20 g. Everything seems to fall into place and my weight loss has been pretty good while still maintaining muscle.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I'm a low carber so I do not worry that much about calories. I try to ahieve a daily ratio of 75% fat / 20% protein / 5% carbs. Seems to be working too. I average about a pound and a half loss a week and stay in constant ketosis.
    Would you be willing to make your diary public? I'd be interested in seeing what you eat.
    My diary is public to my friends only, but a typical day for me would include
    Breakfast: 1 deviled egg, 4 pieces of bacon
    Lunch: half avocado, cherry tomatoes, spring mix greens, olive oil and balsamic
    Dinner: casserole of some kind (usuallymade of ground beef or dark meat poultry, cream, cheese, veggies)
    snacks: almonds, lots of macadamia nuts, and sugar free jello pudding made with heavy whipping cream
    and lots and lots of water
    My average calories per day is around 1400-1550
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have read some of you set yours to 40/30/30
    can you actually set the program to do those different ratios
    and if yes, HOW?
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well you are doing great, thanks for the feedback.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I cycle carbs and cals.
    3-4 days a week if I lift heavy my carbs are way high and fats are way low.
    Protein is at or close to regular goal or 1g/LBM.
    On rest days Fats are high and carbs are low with Protein at goal or 1g/LBM.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Well you are doing great, thanks for the feedback.
    Home->goals->custom
    You can configure pretty much all of your target stuff there
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have read some of you set yours to 40/30/30
    can you actually set the program to do those different ratios
    and if yes, HOW?

MAIN PAGE > MY HOME > GOALS > go down to CHANGE GOALS > click CUSTOM

customize it there.

40/40/20 and 40/30/30/ are both popular.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ok i need help im not sure if this is where i should post but ill give it a shot

i have my goals set to 25 protein and 25 fat 50 carb

that being said i never reach my protein goal do i need to adjust or idk i ate a big steak and a pork chop hoping to finaly reach it and i still haven't so idk what to do yes i know pork isnt that great but i was trying to finish leftovers from the other day

i usally only have protein at dinner some times lunch it their are leftovers but ive never ben high on meat and nuts and supplements are expensive and i dont like eggs well mostly i dont like cooking eggs i usually over cook them to make sure their done
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just stick to calories and that hasn't affected my progress. It was too much for me to try and track everything.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I mainly focus on meeting or exceeding my calorie goal (by 200-300) but also pay attention to my protein macro.. I eat to reach that, everything else always falls into place.

My macros are 40-30-30. The days I don't workout (possible 1-2 days out of the week), I usually don't try as hard to meet my protein goal but still consume 100g.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I believe calories are king for "weight loss" not "fat loss"... So macro's are for body recomposition.
    My macros are 35/30/35 cause I'm a sedentary lazy *kitten* ^_^ Also a well balanced diet is also easier to live by :P
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    categories FO SHO

aim for 105-130 grams of protein

100g of carbs

and selective on my Fat

tight on Sodium and Dairy
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 55 for fat, 25 for protein and 20 for carbs. I have to do a better job keep carbs at or below target even if my net for the day is below target. I tend to plateau when I don't keep that down.

We are all different. Not everyone is carb sensitive. I could never succeed if 30+% of my calories came from carbs. Even when I get to my goal weight, I can't increase the carb percentage.
    It is not hard to keep and maintain lower carbs. By that I mean <100g. I love a 1000 calorie cheese burger salad. :bigsmile:
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. caloires out are all that is required to lose weight, but if you want to feel good and be healthy is pays to keep an eye on your macros. Protein, fat and fiber keep you full. If you have a health reason you can also monitor sugar or sodium. I have had so many positive results from upping my protein and lowering my sodium.

I set mine to my minimums/maximiums and work very hard to meet those. I go for 80% calories meeting macros and then 20% (exercise) calories for treats. Protein minimum LBM *.7 or .8, fat minimum LBM * .5, fiber >25g, sodium <=1500mg, I almost never go over on carbs.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Firs step is QUANTITY - Total cals
    Second step is QUALITY - Macros
    Third step is PRECISION - Micros

Good luck!