"Plus sized" model??

Options

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I really do not believe the whole "sizes are bigger now than then" theory.

I remember the last time I was 135 pounds. It was 1996 and I wore a size 8. I did it with 1000 calories a day and some OTC drug...no exercise. I wore an 8 and it was tight in the waist, prob because I didnt exercise.

I am now a size 8 and they fit just right.

Maybe some companies do this, but to say I am a size 12 now? I don't believe that.

Over the past 15 years I have gone from size 8-16 on a very steady pace. Each 7-10 pounds I went up a size. I did the same thing in losing. Each 7-10 pounds I went down a size.

Anyway...........Isnt the model beautiful!?

When they are talking about size change, it is generally based on the last 40 or so years which could be why you aren't seeing it since '96. It is true that sizes have changed. My mom has some patterns from the '60s. I wear a size 12 currently but in those patterns, I'm closer to a 16.

I think she is beautiful. In my mind, she is closer to what we should be promoting because she looks healthy rather than under or overweight.
  • bellastella86
    bellastella86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe the models used today represent women, I also don't think we should be encouraging women to be larger. Yes, size 14 is average, but does average mean healthy? I know when I was a size 12 I felt horrible. Today, I'm down to a size 4/6 and I feel soooo much healthier. I eat better, I exercise more. Most women would not be a size 14 if they exercized and monitored their eating.

As far as the models go, a little meat on their bones wouldn't hurt. Nothing is more encouraging to me than seeing a fit (not abnormally thin) woman to know that it is possible.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe the models used today represent women, I also don't think we should be encouraging women to be larger. Yes, size 14 is average, but does average mean healthy? I know when I was a size 12 I felt horrible. Today, I'm down to a size 4/6 and I feel soooo much healthier. I eat better, I exercise more. Most women would not be a size 14 if they exercized and monitored their eating.

I exercise. I monitor my eating. I've was a 14 for a long time. I'm between a 10/12 now, and have been for a year. If I were a 4/6, I would look anorexic. (And I would probably have to BE anorexic to get there.)
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

As far as the models go, a little meat on their bones wouldn't hurt. Nothing is more encouraging to me than seeing a fit (not abnormally thin) woman to know that it is possible.

I had a similar thought. On Jezebel, many of the comments said things along the lines of "she is still skinnier than me" and "she is still smaller than the average". My opinion is that currently models provide an unrealistic expectation and most women shouldn't look like them. However, I think it is important to remember that, in North America, "average" is no longer health. I think models should represent what is healthy rather than underweight or "average."

But as far as being a size 14, you have to take height and frame into account. I am at a healthy weight in a size 14 but I'm 5'10". A woman that is 5' isn't going to be healthy at a size 14.

I'm sure I'm going to get yelled at.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I had a similar thought. On Jezebel, many of the comments said things along the lines of "she is still skinnier than me" and "she is still smaller than the average". My opinion is that currently models provide an unrealistic expectation and most women shouldn't look like them. However, I think it is important to remember that, in North America, "average" is no longer health. I think models should represent what is healthy rather than underweight or "average."

But as far as being a size 14, you have to take height and frame into account. I am at a healthy weight in a size 14 but I'm 5'10". A woman that is 5' isn't going to be healthy at a size 14.

Not by me. I agree.
    Some women are healthy in a size 14. Others are healthy at a size 0. Height and frame play a lot into that.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

Not by me. I agree.
    Some women are healthy in a size 14. Others are healthy at a size 0. Height and frame play a lot into that.

I'm thinking more that someone is going to get upset that I don't think models should be the average because the average is no longer healthy and models SHOULD instead portray what is healthy. (emphasis on should because currently they don't)
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options

Not by me. I agree.

I'm thinking more that someone is going to get upset that I don't think models should be the average because the average is no longer healthy and models SHOULD instead portray what is healthy. (emphasis on should because currently they don't)
    i was thinking the same thing i just didnt want to post it lmao
    p.s. the ones that aren't usually healthy are runway models....photoshoot models are completely different tho and most just take really good care of their body
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I exercise. I monitor my eating. I've was a 14 for a long time. I'm between a 10/12 now, and have been for a year. If I were a 4/6, I would look anorexic. (And I would probably have to BE anorexic to get there.)

Spot on!

At my lowest weight I weighed 128 lbs. (and I'm 5'7"- I looked unhealthy and everyone in my family thought I was on drugs :frown: ).

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never be a size 2- it just isn't in my genetic make-up. I may only be able to get down to a size 8, but I'm proud to be one of the "fit" moms in my neighborhood.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am thinking is Marilyn Monroe was beautiful and sexy. My generation has been raised on Twiggy. Before her, the models were size 8s and 10s (1950s size 8-10s) which I now understand to be smaller via patterns and such.

we cant argue that humans are not larger now than in the 30s. I see pix of my mom's family and my auntie who was around size 10 was huge compared to the other classmates. Of course they were all starving from the depression (at least in that neck of the woods they were)

I take issue in my daughter thinking she is fat because she is in size 7s and the models are size 0. smoking, doing drugs and not eating.........is not healthy.

I just wish a more realisitic image of woman was portrayed in glamor mags.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Spot on!

At my lowest weight I weighed 128 lbs. (and I'm 5'7"- I looked unhealthy and everyone in my family thought I was on drugs :frown: ).

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never be a size 2- it just isn't in my genetic make-up. I may only be able to get down to a size 8, but I'm proud to be one of the "fit" moms in my neighborhood.

ditto here. I am 5'2" and was at one time 100 pounds. I think at 120 and size 6 or so I would be my healthiest. I am also proud when my daughters friends say....Oh there goes your mom to the gym AGAIN!!:heart:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    haha yea Im about 5'3" and was once 100 pounds (2006)...people that knew me then see me now and say "you finally ate a cheeseburger!"
    while people that I knew when I was 180 pounds see me now and say "wow you lost weight!"
    so...it felt really weird when I heard both of those in a week...but I figure anywhere around 130 is good for me, really. I have a really large bone structure and a boyfriend who really likes my big butt hahaha
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am thinking is Marilyn Monroe was beautiful and sexy. My generation has been raised on Twiggy. Before her, the models were size 8s and 10s (1950s size 8-10s) which I now understand to be smaller via patterns and such.

we cant argue that humans are not larger now than in the 30s. I see pix of my mom's family and my auntie who was around size 10 was huge compared to the other classmates. Of course they were all starving from the depression (at least in that neck of the woods they were)

I take issue in my daughter thinking she is fat because she is in size 7s and the models are size 0. smoking, doing drugs and not eating.........is not healthy.

Exactly, Jeannie.

She's only 8 now, but I don't want my daughter to ever subscribe to a teen/women's magazine. They're toxic for a young girl's self-esteem.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

He
    Exactly, Jeannie.

She's only 8 now, but I don't want my daughter to ever subscribe to a teen/women's magazine. They're toxic for a young girl's self-esteem.

Heck they are toxic for us adults!! How many times I felt great, picked up a mag at the doctors office and felt fat. That quick!! :noway:
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    this is only from my personal experience to all the mothers with daughters in HS .....because i was a size 8 beginning HS.....and i was very self concious not only because of models and television, but because in HS there are a lot of skinny really pretty girls and like anything in life it's hard not to compete.....well i started HS at 130lbs wearing a size 8......by my junior year i was 140 in a tight 8 but probably a 10.....by the end of my junior year i lost all the weight i had wanted to weighing in at 110lbs Lots of lean muscle and I did it correctly.....with the help of a site like this at the time....and i was in a size 3.....it was amazing and the self confidence I got from doing it and doing it the right way.....no one could knock me down about how i looked or acted....after HS I did some modeling.....it's really amazing what weight loss can do esp if u do it right and gain the muscle at the same time of losing the weight
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    a little to add into that statement......In HS kids can be a lot more toxic and a lot more mean than any magazines (talking from experience on that one)
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    a little to add into that statement......In HS kids can be a lot more toxic and a lot more mean than any magazines (talking from experience on that one)

Oh yes. Middle school aged kids too. My childhood was miserable. It wasn't even for being overweight b/c I wasn't. It was what I wore. Where my mom could afford to buy my clothes. My hair. Chicken pox scars. The gap between my two front teeth. My mom when she started dating again after my parents split.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Personally I would love to see models of all shapes and sizes in these mags.
    The idea of having models at a healthy weight is great but then the message seems to be the same it always has been... you have to be this size to be beautiful.
    I want to see models of everyday people :) You have all types of women out there. You've got skinny, athletic, average, overweight, obese, short, tall, young, middle aged, elderly, light skinned, dark skinned... and the list goes on. I think the message in the media needs to change to be proud of who you are but know that change is possible if you want it rather than making people feel like they have to.

I'm not saying change isn't a fabulous thing when you have a goal in mind as everyone here has one including myself but I want to set those standards for myself and not have the media tell me what I should and shouldn't feel proud of.
  • hasiangirl
    Options

Oh yes. Middle school aged kids too. My childhood was miserable. It wasn't even for being overweight b/c I wasn't. It was what I wore. Where my mom could afford to buy my clothes. My hair. Chicken pox scars. The gap between my two front teeth. My mom when she started dating again after my parents split.
    *shudders at the thought of school* lol...although u know whats funny?.....my junior year i moved away from maine to texas for a year i had lost all that weight.....went back to the school that i had been going to for 6 yrs in maine my senior year......NO ONE recognized me and they all wanted to be friends with me and the guys wanted to date me....yet i wouldnt give anyone the time of day unless they were my true friends who had always been there for me lol......f'ing kids *grrrrrr* lol i wanna know how kids get so superficial and so caught up in what is right to wear and everything else lol
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That like Tyra Banks she said when she finished high school she went straight to Paris to model and she was only 17 still not coming into her womenly figure yet. And she said a few years later the head of her modeling agency sat her and her mother down (who is her manager) and said that over the past few months Tyra has gained weight and that it was getting harder and harder to book her for shows and shoots.

So she said she thought her career was over and she was ready to do all types of stuff to be what they wanted. She did not say what stuff but I take it surgeries, or just being very unhealthy.

Anyway she said her mother told them take her like this or don't and when the left the meeting she said her mother said well lets go find someone who wants a woman to look like a woman and not a 12 year old boy. And they came back to the states.

She said after several covers and some shows she signed with Victoria Secrets and when she retired from Vicky's is when I heard this story and she said the best thing about working for them they never once told her to lose weight.

And if you ever saw Tyra do a Victoria's Runway show that girl giggled from start to finish. Even with her flat stomach she had thighs and butt and breast. To me that is sexy not the bones and ribs they all want us to look like.
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    That like Tyra Banks she said when she finished high school she went straight to Paris to model and she was only 17 still not coming into her womenly figure yet. And she said a few years later the head of her modeling agency sat her and her mother down (who is her manager) and said that over the past few months Tyra has gained weight and that it was getting harder and harder to book her for shows and shoots.

So she said she thought her career was over and she was ready to do all types of stuff to be what they wanted. She did not say what stuff but I take it surgeries, or just being very unhealthy.

Anyway she said her mother told them take her like this or don't and when the left the meeting she said her mother said well lets go find someone who wants a woman to look like a woman and not a 12 year old boy. And they came back to the states.

She said after several covers and some shows she signed with Victoria Secrets and when she retired from Vicky's is when I heard this story and she said the best thing about working for them they never once told her to lose weight.

And if you ever saw Tyra do a Victoria's Runway show that girl giggled from start to finish. Even with her flat stomach she had thighs and butt and breast. To me that is sexy not the bones and ribs they all want us to look like.
    curves are awesome!!!....i knew a lot of run way models and they were told they had to drop 10lbs in a week!!! WEEK!!! and these girls are already thin as paper......but some of them were saying they made the run way models do it because the designers and what not didnt want to spend extra money on material for the clothing....because its expensive and they cant sell it after the show......to me thats crazy crazy crazy and i truely think kate moss changed the whole runway model revolution atleast in some places