How often do you step on the scale/measure?

Options

Replies

• Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate to much for day to day measures to be accurate and more importantly effective. It can be discouraging to see your weight go up and could sabotage your efforts. I used to only weigh/measure monthly. However I have increased that to every 14 days.

The biggest thing is consistency. For example I always weigh on the same scale at the same time of day and make sure I am on a completely empty stomach and if possible after going to the bathroom.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Once per month
  • Picturesque2u
    Picturesque2u Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. EVERY morning after expelling, before and after my shower....AS IF? LOL! Again at night, after work outs, when I'm passing threw, when I think about it. When I see someone else's scale.... LOL!

It's an obsession.

I also only record the loss after it's consistently lower for a few days.
  • nikkifk
    nikkifk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every other Sunday and measure myself on the one in between, I have to be disciplined about it because I can be really obssessive otherwise, but, I do find that so far I've lost weight and inches, so am basically happy with doing it this way.
  • MsChrissyAnn
    MsChrissyAnn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Personal I don't think it's good to get on the scale everyday. Your weight fluctuates. Alot. When I started watching my weight and trying to eat better I got on the scale twice a day and every time it would cause some kind of emotional reaction. I was either on a high note because I lost weight or a low note because I gained. This daily roller coaster really took it's took on myself esteem and caused me to think that I couldn't lose the weight...that I was supposed to be a heavy person.

Then I found MFP and started to track my food and my exercise. I knew I couldn't change my weight on here as much as I checked it. So I decided that I would get on the scale once a week and check my measurements every other week. Now I can't say that I always stick to this but it has helped me out alot. I feel better about what I am doing and I can see that I'm on the right path.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I track once a week, I get too emotional if I see a 2lb gain overnight. I prefer to ignore those times and focus on the steady tick down. :)

BUT someone said it's fun to have your chart all jaggedy, but still trending down. Let's you know fluctuations are normal. :))
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week. I get anxious enough doing that, everyday would drive me mad!
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    hi there! this is my first post ever on mfp. :D

i also step on every morning...before any intake (even water), before shower, after any expulsions (sry).
    i know i shouldnt do it (or so they say), but i justify it by trying to keep daily track of where i stand and how i need to adjust my behavior between then and my "official" friday morning weigh-ins.

i dont think there is a right or wrong here, so i vote you do what you wanna do for YOU. :happy:

I do the same thing!
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    Options
    Every day..sometimes three times a day. I know how my weight fluctuates and what foods bloat me and what sticks to me. I also can Gage how well I'm processing my food based on my weight throughout the day.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I recently started weighing in almost everyday, and I actually really like it. My weight has fluctuated as much as 4 pounds overnight, and I think if I was weighing only 1/week there's a chance I would only see the higher numbers. Seeing the lower numbers, even if they are gone the next day, is really encouraging to me. I've been chasing the 150s for what feels like years, and last week I hit 158 then 156, then the next day it was back to 160. That didn't discourage me because I knew 156 is out there as a real possibility. If I get obsessive about it later I'll reassess, but for now it is helping me understand my body better.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    every morning, I wish I could stop myself and only get on once a week but it's like a routine now.
  • buzymamagoals
    buzymamagoals Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm an every day too!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Every day for several years. I only count the new lows, however.

^^me too
  • DLPenny
    DLPenny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    every friday morning before eating...
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day and sometimes at night. I measure once a month. Reason I weigh, is it will alert me that I've eaten something that day that is going to mess me up. If I wait till the 1 day a week weigh in I have no idea what it was even if I keep a diary of my eating. It keeps me in check with my progress. It works for me, not everybody but it does for me.
  • fenrirG
    fenrirG Posts: 21
    Options
    Daily here too, but it is more for the fun of it. I get really amused to see how my weight fluctuates based on how many calories I ate the day before. I even track my daily weight on MFP :p
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself no more than once a week. The only exception is when I know I am going through a tough time anc craving sugar, then I step on the scale and that takes care of that.:laugh:
  • kati37
    kati37 Posts: 61
    Options
    I weigh everyday as well. Even though I know i shouldn't because it is very discouraging. After easter weekend I hoped on the scale Monday morning saying I gained 7lbs. UGH!!! I was so mad all day. Then on my Weigh in day wich is Thursday it came up as 1lb gained. Which isn't to bad considering the seven I thought I had gained. I have been very obssesive this week though I want that pound and a couple more to come off!!!
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I step on the scales every morning just as a progress check, nothing more. Friday however is my weekly day of reconning.. LOL Weight, neck, waist, hips. So far, I'm dead on track for my loss program.

This...record weight on Tuesday's
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I dont think its about how often you step on the scale but about how you approach the scale. By this i mean stepping on the scale loads if it determines your moods or means anything major to you is not good. But I weigh myself most mornings just to see - it doesnt bother me to see fluctuations and I have a semi interested way of relating this back to what I ate/pooped/exercised/TOTM. It doesnt mean anything, Its just fluctuations - its the trend over time that matters, not minor day to day fluctuations and my weight over the course of a day is just amusing.

To properly monitor my weight I ahve one morning a week that I weigh and log and I do that in a consistent way in terms of when I do it- straight on waking nowt in nowt out.. And even then if I register a gain that I know from my weekly casual weighing is just water or whatever I try my best to shrug and say well next weeks log will be a whopper cos it will capture both this week and next weeks loss more accurately cos I already know that this weeks weigh in is a blip. I do log it nonetheless cos its my 'real' weigh in.

So I find weighing myself daily(ish) is a useful another bit of info - often I cant be bothered. I dont see anything bad about doing this, but if you are going waaah over every blip or celebrate every loss with food dont weigh.