would you help out a lady?

Options

Replies

• kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would have helped if it was something I was capable with or offered to get someone to help you. My hubby would in a heart beat. I too am surprised that no one from Home Depot made the effort to help or the cashier to even offer to call for someone to come help. That is part of their job.

People amaze me sometimes--like yesterday I was riding my bike to get in my day's exercise and this little burgundy car passes me going the other way and the person in the back seat had their hand out flipping me off!!! It wasn't like I was in their lane, impeding traffic, or said anything to them! >:(
  • Krisjonb
    Krisjonb Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes I would, those two guys will get what's coming to them -- Karma
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Which two guys?
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Which two guys?
    They meant the two besmirching your vehicle (SUV instead of a truck). Though really, the two guys making that comment were silly. A SUV is built to carry loads and what you had wouldn't have been too much for it.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I wouldve helped you. I spend a lot of time at the Home depot and lowes. No one ever asks me if I need help. Infact, I was irked the other day because I walked in and the greeter gave every man a flier and asked them if they needed help. He just let me walk on past. The whole little lady thing. Grrrrr
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • diadori
    diadori Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would've asked if you needed help, at least.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I bought several bags of heavy mulch at Home Depot the other day and when I pulled my cart up to my car to load it up, a man who had been making a delivery to the store jumped out of his truck and came over to load it for me. I said, "thank you so much! You don't need to do that!" and he said, "Yes i do. I would want someone to help my wife." Made my day...
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i would've stopped! some people shock me...i'm a student at a university and another student was pushing his car in the grocery store parking lot in the rain. some guys, from my university, walked right by him, laughed, and drove off. so, i got out and helped him. there are some good people out there, definitely, but getting harder and harder to find.
  • Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    one of the store employees should have assisted you or you should of asked one of them.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I would have, especially since i have been in that exact spot. And I am only allowed to lift 40 lbs, lol. I help folks out all the time, see these old folks trying to get ridiculously filled grocery bags in their cars, geez.
  • lucretia86
    lucretia86 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would of helped you, I would offer help to anyone tbh, male or female. But it is the same over here (England), especially the majority of our youth... mostly raised with bad manners. Rarely anyone would ever offer to help. Even when I was heavily pregnant with both of my kids people watched me struggle on and off trains with heavy bags, saw me standing on packed xmas eve trains and didn't offer me a seat etc.

On select occasions you will find people who will go out of their way to offer help etc, but sadly these days it really is a rarity! x
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would have helped, without hesitation, but that's how I roll. I wouldn't help a man though, unless he was loading it into his Lexus.

I am surprised that employees didn't offer. Next time ask them if no one is around, that's why there are 50 of them walking around (mostly when you don't need them) asking if you're finding everything you need.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've had people offer to help me in that situation, but I always declined. I told them it was my workout for the day.

I especially enjoyed buying landscape timbers and playing "caber toss" to get them over my fence.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Yes, and if I knew you in real life, offer to do the work for you!:smile:

cliche because I'm British, but I held a door open for a lady recently and got asked gruffly " did you hold that because I'm a woman?"

Err...no..because I'm polite. I hold doors open for the next person regardless of sexuality.

Also you might not get help as people think you've got it covered?:glasses:

I'm British and I hold doors open, step back in asiles of shops to let people through etc. I think these days i have noticed a massive decrease in appreaciation for these little acts of kindness, you know a simple sorry wouldn't go a miss

I would have defiantley offered to help you out.
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I live in Chicago, and sometimes it's hard to offer help. People take kindness the wrong way here. I think it's really sad that you can say hello to someone and they will just ignore you. People here don't trust the intentions of others and would rather just do it on their own, and not offer when they see others are in need of help. I on the other hand try to help others, my family made sure to raise me that way.
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Why didn't you request one of the employees to help you with loading the stuff. They get paid to to that. :) Living in California, (I am from NC where I was raised right.), I get weird/surprised looks from people when I hold the door open for them.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I think if I saw someone struggling with something, I would definately try to help. But to just walk up and say, here, let me get that ..NOPE.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    hit up the homedepot yesterday.. bought 33 blocks, 4 bags of dirt.
    so weight of my cart was over 300 pounds.
    i loaded it.. and dragged it back to my car...
    now my question is.. would you have asked to help load my car if you saw me (or anyone else)?
    i had several men and women .. just wander by. and two smart *kitten* men comment on the fact that i was loading all that into my SUV and not a truck.
    not that i can't do it.. i can.. (carried 80 pound bags of dirt to my car today)
    but i would help out someone (and have) .. why is it that i can't get me any help!!

Some people are just not considerate unfortunately. My mother (who is in her 60's) was at a clinic the other day when a woman approx 7 months pregnant came in. She was the only other woman in the clinic at the time, NONE of the men got up or even offered her their seat. My mom was pissed and offered her seat. The lady gracious took it. It was so maddening to hear that. Its not that I feel she absolutely had to sit if she didn't want to.... but she should have been offered a seat.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Definitively would have helped out. I would just imagine that if that were my mother or my sister in that situation that someone would help them.