I am a runner damn it!!! Rant

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
I run, I hate it but I do run. I run on my treadmill between November and March because of winter and I run outside whenever I can. Usually I run twice a week and will indulge in a slow long run once every 2 weeks ends.

I run intervals and I have no intention to run “for real”. I like running intervals; I have no plan of running a marathon and couldn’t care less about PR. When people learn that I do run/walk cycles, they act as if I am cheating, not a real runner and ask me when I will run “for real”. It sting when runner ask me that but it makes me want to punch puppies when someone who’s only fitness program is to walk from the puter to the fridge.

I am a runner damn it , not a jogger, not a walker, not a cheater.

Replies

• migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Simply ask those couch to fridge folks.. "When are you going to join me on one of my outings? I'm sure we'll have bunches of fun."
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I migrated from the Runner's World forums to here was the fact that they'd say things like you haven't run a Marathon if you had to take walk breaks, and anything slower than 10 minutes miles isn't worth lacing your trainers up for :explode:
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Love your post. I'm not a 'natural' runner but do my best. I aim to run for 10 mins non stop (but don't always succeed) and then sprint and walk for 1 min intervals. When using the treadmill doing it this way gets me just as far and burns the same amount of calories as running constantly at a slower speed. Any running makes you 'a runner' so keep doing what's comfortable for you.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I migrated from the Runner's World forums to here was the fact that they'd say things like you haven't run a Marathon if you had to take walk breaks, and anything slower than 10 minutes miles isn't worth lacing your trainers up for :explode:

OMG. I was on RW for years..... I frequented the L&O forum.... which had little to do with running, actually. :-p
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I run intervals and I have no intention to run “for real”

That made me giggle because really, what exactly is "running for real"?

You run on the treadmill.

You run outside.

Who cares if you have no plans to run a marathon or anything like that? It's your prerogative. Although I hate training, training for races gives me something different to do so I don't get bored. To each their own.

If you run you are a runner. Keep it up!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you run you are a runner. Keep it up!

This is exactly how I feel. I know I'm never going to be an elite, competitive athlete, and I'm sorry, but in my mind you're either one of them or the rest of us (whether or not you run marathons). Stupid, arrogant people will always try to belittle you, but you know that you are way more awesome than that. Go walk, run, and tell them to kiss your assets!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    What a load of boll###ks people talk! Firstly, interval training is one of themost important ways to improve your running speed, and second (and most importantly) running is a deeply personal thing, and success can only be measured on your own terms. Keep running, get out and enjoy it if you can: the world is beautiful when you have the chance to see it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Tell those folks to lace up their runners and come to Ottawa May 27th. They'll see pace bunnies for the half marathon for both straight running and run/walk and many of the run/walk times are very close to the 2hr mark. Not real runners???? Let them try and then they can eat their words! :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat. Do it faster until both feet are off the ground at some point in your stride. Congratulations, you're a runner!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    LOL thank you everyone
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I was also on the RW forum for a while, but some people were all, if you haven't run a race, you're not a runner, if you're slower than X you're not a runner etc. I like the following "If you consider yourself a runner, then you are". I try and run most days, but I'm not fast and I rarely can run for 60 min straight. But who cares? I run. Therefore I am a runner.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's simple really.

You run. So you're a runner.

They talk. So they're talkers.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    you gotta consider the source. You do what you want to. Why tell anyone anyway. You are a runner. Jeff Galloway's plan has walking built in and Hal Hidgon has training programs that include walking and running. Galloway and Hidgon are the ebst and they sure know more than the ones that are bothering you
  • BMcLeodTeam
    BMcLeodTeam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's simple really.

You run. So you're a runner.

They talk. So they're talkers.

This exactly! Well said!
  • TarainSD
    TarainSD Posts: 1
    Options
    I thought this quote would be appropriate!!

“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”
    ― John Bingham
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a year. My last 10k was under the hour mark which was a huge goal of mine. I take breather breaks every few kms and I have found that it has really increased my run times. When I try to go nonstop my time slows down. Its also way more enjoyable when I know I can stop when I need to. So do whatever you want and forget everyone else!
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”
    ― John Bingham

^^^ YESSS!!! THIS!!!
  • DanTheRunningMan
    Options
    When people learn that I do run/walk cycles, they act as if I am cheating, not a real runner and ask me when I will run “for real”. It sting when runner ask me that but it makes me want to punch puppies when someone who’s only fitness program is to walk from the puter to the fridge.

I hate that too-- that attitude makes me crazy. I was talking to a gal at work a while back who was getting started running. She had just gotten her distance over 3 miles but on her Saturday run she said she had had to walk about a hundred yards at her turn around point so that run "didn't count." I thought my head was going to explode. I said "you just ran 4900 out of 5000 yards but the whole thing doesn't count?!" It's like something some idiot high school PE teacher would dream up.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    When people learn that I do run/walk cycles, they act as if I am cheating, not a real runner and ask me when I will run “for real”.

Well, darn it.... So, if I have completed 5 half marathons doing the run/walk method, does that mean I have to return all my finisher medals??