Too poor for weight watchers:( HELP!

Replies

• chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    I have to admit, I'm with WW too...I get the e-newsletter online in my email (don't pay a cent for it) and I buy the magazine for an extra boost of inspiration - and maybe a recipe idea or two!!! :wink:
  • I've done weight watchers and was hmm'ing and hawing about doing it again when I found MFP. I honestly don't know what ww has, that this site doesn't have. IMHO. :O)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    My mom is doing WW on her own (with old books from another time) and I'm doing MPF. We both started on Jan. 1st at 180 pounds (I'm 5'11, she's 5'4). We both lost exactly 20 pounds in the exact same time. I'm very close to my goal, she's got a ways to go, but we both did a great job.

I don't have a smart phone. I either plan ahead or if I'm in a situation where I need to eat out I eat what I know I should. Both WW and MFP takes willpower and dedication. Paying for WW doesn't make it magically work better. If you are true to yourself on each plan you will see results. So, no more excuses. Everyone knows how to logically lose weight (get moving and eat right). You just have to do it. Be willing to give up time on the couch and food you'd rather eat. The reward is a healthier body.

^^ Well said Kristen!
  • :wink: I have to admit, I'm with WW too...I get the e-newsletter online in my email (don't pay a cent for it) and I buy the magazine for an extra boost of inspiration - and maybe a recipe idea or two!!! :wink:

That's true - the free newletter and recipes are great. I still get, and use, those. :O)
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Are you going to be on weight watchers for the rest of your life? MFP teach's you how to lose weight and keep it off. This is a lifestyle change. If you want to be successful you have to put in some "sweat equity".

Once you have lost the weight you then go into maintenance. This is the crucial part of the program! Fail here, and it makes the whole journey worthless. It's like building your dream home, then once it's completed, you burn it down....what was the point.

It's up to you.

Cheers:smile:
  • Hey, I actually just cancelled my WW membership. MFP offers all the same stuff online, minus the recipes. (at least I haven't found the recipes on here yet :). On WW you can eat as many vegetables and fruit as you want, I would recommend laying low on the fruit b/c of the sugars and getting in as many veggies as you can. Just make sure you track every single thing you eat, drink, nibble, etc. :)

Additionally, I would recommend picking a day of the week to be your "weigh-in" day. I like Thursday mornings. Then only weigh yourself once per week, that way you will notice the 1-4lbs you may loose in a week, as opposed to day-to-day weigh ins which can be discouraging if you are not seeing a difference everyday.

Plus, there are ton's of WW recipes online! If you need any advice, feel free to contact me, I am happy to help!

"You can loose weight, the only thing stopping you, is YOU!"

:)
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    You can even google how many points you should be eating, and you can look up how many WW points things are.

A healthy lifestyle should be FREE! :)
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    maybe this was a trick post and we all fell for it. Burn on us...we all fail.

Off topic, but your profile pic confuses me. Are you hauling a bicycle on your motorcycle?

Yes I am... like a boss if i may say. Life on a saddle for me.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Get a new phone.......most carriers have free android smartphones...
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    This site gives all you need, except the will to change...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Plan your meals ahead of time and you won't have to worry about logging your food at the time you eat it. Over time, you'll learn what you can and should not eat.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    I'm a WW lifetimer from many years ago. Went back a couple of times but recently gave all the stuff away to a friend that's about 300 lbs. overweight.

TIP: GO TO: http://www.livestrong.com/article/268405-1200-calorie-diabetic-exchange-diets/?utm_source=popslideshow&utm_medium=a1

The Weight Watchers program is developed from the American Diabetes 1200 calorie (women) to 1500 calorie (men) diet. It is all about nutritional v. activity balance, i.e. food intake (fuel) >>> activity (burning fuel to prevent fat buildup). We have become a fat American society because we do not monitor PORTION CONTROL enough nor make the proper choices.

Keeping a DAILY FOOD JOURNAL and monitoring strict PORTION CONTROL works. I am living proof...517 days worth of it :)

Welcome to my Heart Healthy World
    The Making of the New You

Welcome to the beginning of your new, healthier lifestyle. You have embarked on a great program where you are the only one “in charge” of your own personally developed nutrition and exercise program on My Fitness Pal (MFP).

From my age of 18 until the present, more than a 55 year adult life span, I have lost and re-gained from between 30 to 75 pounds in my life so many times (the yo-yo dieting syndrome), if I had not done that I would weigh over 800 pounds (IF I was still alive).

On 15 November 2010, a good friend and I were visiting ladies in our church and I was telling her how depressed I was over my frustration in trying to stop being overweight. She told me how one of her adult sons (she & her husband raised 10 children) had lost a whole lot of weight using this free online food and exercise diary program. I went home that afternoon and checked the web site carefully and said, “YES”! I started the program the next morning.

From that first day, 16 November 2010, I started accurately weighing or measuring (depending upon the food/fluid item), leveling off all excess quantities & recording it all on MFP. You may look at my photos and statistics and scoff while thinking that I didn’t have very much weight to lose. Please consider this, 35 extra pounds on my short, very small body frame is not much different than 75 or even 100 extra pounds on a taller person with a larger body frame. It has taken me more than nine very long, very slow months to shed all but the last 1.1 pounds.

To begin, you should have the proper tools for accuracy and ease of staying with your program. Those are:

A digital food scale
    An individual set of 4 measuring cups: ¼ c, 1/3 c, ½ c, 1 c
    An individual set of measuring spoons: ¼ tsp., ½ tsp., 1 tsp., 1 tblsp.
    A small, straight blade spatula or knife for leveling off all excess quantities

START THINKING DIFFERENTLY but do NOT think “diet”. Use the lighter, lower calorie mayonnaise (that has olive oil). Look at the various brands of lower calorie margarine spreads that also have olive oil. SHOP DIFFERENTLY in the SUPERMARKET. Allow a lot more time when you shop. Do NOT pick up items and put them in the shopping cart until you have carefully READ every single label. REMEMBER THIS: All ingredients are listed in order of highest quantity to lowest. If the first 4 items on the ingredients say: salt, sodium, corn syrup or any form of sugar, dextrose, maltose, or other sugar forms, buy something else. High sodium contents will prevent you from losing weight well & can cause water retention as well as cardiac overload. When we’re packing around all those extra pounds, our hearts are already over-worked. All our body systems work as a team so when one organ system is out of whack, so is everything else. Prepared or frozen foods are nearly always overloaded with sodium and fats. Low calorie is not always low sugar nor low fat. “Healthy” is not always labeled correctly. Once you become an avid “label reading shopper”, you will learn which items work best for you and which ones to avoid.

Beware of well-meaning family members, friends or even co-workers who think they know what is best for you. You are the only person who knows how you feel and what will help you become successful in achieving your personal healthy goal. I believe in your unique ability to be successful. You can and will succeed if you keep following your program faithfully by taking things one meal at a time/one day at a time on a continuous basis. I have had some former MFP users complain about “too much counting”. It does not take me any more extra time to take the proper measuring spoon to level off my single PORTION of mayonnaise or mustard that it used to by just dipping the spoon in the jar and dumping a lump of stuff on the plate, the food or the bread. Then we have, what I call, the “enablers”. Those are the people who consciously or even sub-consciously, are out to keep you from being successful. They’re the “Oh, just one little piece of this dessert I made just for you won’t hurt you”. Or, I made all your favorite recipes for your birthday, Christmas dinner, etc. Just tell them that you’ve developed some difficult ALLERGIES and are under medical supervision (do not tell them anything more than that). You don’t have to tell them that the “allergies” make you “break out in FAT”. Then we have the proverbial, “You’re getting so thin, you’re going to get sick and end up in the hospital” types. They may even try to carry on by telling medical horror stories how someone they knew who ended up dying because of blah, blah, etc. Change the subject quickly and keep the conversation light and comfortable.

MFP tells us how much of each items chosen is ONE PORTION. It is up to us to tell the computer how much of the portion we plan to have or did have. I call this program a “no brainer” because the computer does all the work for me. All I have to do is look up the item in the database and select the correct product. Watch out for all the idiots who’ve monkeyed around with the database by putting in their own screwball versions of many items. As you first begin, keep that product label handy as you do your food diary recording so you can check before you add that item to your diary. As time goes on, you’ll understand how this works better.

You will soon get into the mode of thinking of “eat this…not that” of the items that you enjoy having that are working to help you reach your successful heart healthy ultimate goal.

GOAL SETTING: Please be extra kind to yourself and not set impossible goals. Think in terms of short-term, reachable goals for now. I started by using Dr. Mehmet Oz’s “Just 10” program, i.e. thinking in terms of just reaching the next set of 10 pounds off short-term goal.

I’m personally in this for the “long haul”. That means, I will be doing this for the rest of my life as long as the program is available and I have the capability of using it. If I stop keeping a daily food diary or stop weighing, measuring, etc., I know that I’ll end up piling the fat pounds right back on and never get them off again. Last November, I was in a full-blown DIABETES state and was sick all the time. I refuse to put my body through that ever again.

You WILL be successful because you’re a WINNER. I strongly believe that and believe in your ability to keep on winning.

Remember, you are in charge~~~no one else can ever take your place!

**************************************************************************************************************************************

1)    How many fish meals are you eating each week? Recommended: a minimum of four fish meals (more is better).
    2)    How many red meat meals are you eating each week (includes pork, sausage type, hot dogs, etc.). Recommended: Try to eliminate all those from your menu plan if possible.
    3)    Switch to white meat of chicken and turkey (without the skin…that skin is 100% fat and that includes the good-tasting crispy stuff too).
    4)    Avoid all deli meats, sausage meats, hot dogs, etc. They are all very high fat and high sodium. E.G. Four ozs. of sliced turkey breast from the deli in the market = more than 1000 mg. of sodium. Considering the newest RDA guidelines only allow us 1500 mg. in 24 hours, it doesn’t give you much else to eat for the entire day.
    5)    Two-thirds of your lunch and dinner plate should have low calorie vegetables. Stay away from loading them with butter, margarine, etc. Avoid the creamier salad dressings. Instead: try the balsamic vinaigrette dressings and be certain to measure with individual measuring spoons while leveling off excess with aknife (don’t use the eating spoons for measuring).
    6)    Stay away from eye-ball measuring (use those individual measuring cups/spoons). That goofy comparison measuring will make you fat (e.g. the size of a deck of cards, the size of tennis ball, the size of your fist, etc.). That’s a bunch of rubbish. I know because I piled on an additional 10 lousy pounds on top of what I already had using that method. The reason it doesn’t work is: we’re hungry when we use that method and our sub-conscious mind causes us to over-estimate the portion sizes. Guess-ti-mating portions makes us fat.
    7)    Eating out: try to avoid doing that as much as possible. To begin with, the restaurants load the food with higher sodium content and those tasty chicken strips at McDonalds are both high fat and high sodium (body water retention, big time).
    8)    Dump all the soda pop drinks. Yes, even the DIET sodas will make you fat … more water retention. Perrier water: loaded with sodium. Club soda: loaded with sodium.
    9)    Alcoholic beverages: even the “light” beer is not only loaded with sodium but alcohol messes up the metabolism factor in your body. Alcohol metabolizes, like everything else, through the liver. It turns immediately to glycerol which raises the TRIGLYCERIDES in your total CHOLESTEROL profile. That converts to FAT. Every alcoholic drink (beer, wine and mixed drinks without sugar content) destroys liver cells. The destroyed liver cells are replaced with fat.
    You don’t have an alcohol issue but I’m being graphic about the problem so you can better understand how the product slows our weight loss program down~~~big time. Even one glass of red wine (4 oz.) can cause1-2 lbs. weight gain the next morning.

• sonjalyons
    sonjalyons Posts: 5 Member
    I can't do apps or anything on my phone:( It seems like it'd be a lot easier to keep track if I could! lol

I have been doing MFP since February & have lost weight. I do not have apps on my phone either so I went out and bought a calories book for less than $10 & the books also have a lot of restaurants listing as well which is a great tool for eating out when you do not have a phone that has apps. Good luck
  • iTswape
    iTswape Posts: 38 Member
    I don't use a phone to track on MFP. I put in everything at the end of the day when I get home from work. Or if I am preplanning my meals the morning before I leave for the day.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Why pay to count to 20 when you can count to 2000 for free? (someone wrote this)
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Idk, i did better on weight watchers than I have been doing here. I didnt do it online, i did it in person, and I honestly loved it. Im going back to it. (not to say i wont also do MFP, i just want more results and based on my previous experience itll help me more)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Just plan your day the night before. No need to have access all day then! X
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    I found MFP as a bet to my wife that i could lose weight for free instead of paying WW membership so she signed up for WW and i downloaded MFP for free and i have lost more weight... BOOM!.

To this poster - not sure you've proven your point. Did you have more to lose to begin with? How do you two stack up if you compare yourselves as a percentage of body weight lost?
  • 1213shell
    1213shell Posts: 37 Member
    You'd have to do the same with WW -- load their app onto your phone. Aside from tracking "points", there wouldn't be anything you'd be doing with WW that you couldn't be doing with MFP for free. I mean, do what you need to do but I think it 's sort of redundant when you say you are unable to afford WW but yet, you don't want to try a FREE program that is just as good, if not better -- just sayin'......
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    I found MFP as a bet to my wife that i could lose weight for free instead of paying WW membership so she signed up for WW and i downloaded MFP for free and i have lost more weight... BOOM!.

To this poster - not sure you've proven your point. Did you have more to lose to begin with? How do you two stack up if you compare yourselves as a percentage of body weight lost?

I'm not going into details just accept the fact that i proved my point. i don't know you.