How often do you step on the scale/measure?

Options
123457»

Replies

• talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I wanted to let you know that I'm exactly same as you. I weight my self every day morning before get into the shower!! :(
    dunno why I'm crazy about monitoring my weight, as I'm afraid that I gain more weight bcoz sometimes I eat a lot!

I go to GYM after work, the problem that after work I will be so exhausted! but normally I go to GYM 4 times a week around 1.5 to 2 hrs, spending time on cardio & body building <---- to get my body in shape!

Cheers,
    Talal
  • sexycute
    sexycute Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday but I made myself stop doing that. Your body fluctuates too much during one day let alone all week. It's too discouraging to not see the scale move...or not move enough. I only weigh once a week...the results can be more dramatic (if it's a good week). Don't get me wrong there are times when the scale doesn't move in a week; but at least I didn't gain-it was new muscle.:glasses: I also measure my self bi-weekly. Put your scale under the bed-outta sight, outta mind! :tongue:
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I've fallen into the habit of weighing myself every day, but almost out of interest more than anything. My weight fluctuates so much that I find it amusing - this morning I was 400grams heavier than I was yesterday morning, even though I had done C25k, taken the stairs at work (12 flights!) and done an hour of Zumba - and eaten very sensible and healthy food all day. So I didn't find it demotivating - I know that it's just the usual fluctuations, but I do find it entertaining.

I log my weight every 'once in a while'. Every few weeks I'll get around to logging it, but for the most part I pay attention to my weight range. The 2 kilo-ish weight range that I tend to fluctuate between is dropping steadily, so I'm chuffed! I'm taking my measurements on the first of every month, and that seems to be working so far.
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can say though that even with the scale sitting still now, I have seen a drop in my inches in the past week. 3 on my waist and 2 on my hips. I think I'm going to make this a weekly thing as well now. It's going to be tough at first but I gotta train my brain haha

I feel that inches are a better guage anyways. Congrats on losing 5 inches. I will take 5 inches over 5 lbs any day!!!

Thanks! Same here! :happy:
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was doing once a week, on Thursdays, but if the scale didn't budge or went up I would let that completely dictate my day and how I viewed my success...and then I'd end up binging and feeling like crap. It was a vicious cycle every Thursday/Friday. So I decided I wasn't going weigh myself unless I got the complete urge to or until after my half marathon in June. I am trying to learn how to eat to fuel my body and eat the proper foods to do exactly that. I don't want to cut back or restrict my foods because I'm in a constant battle with my bathroom scale.

For some people it works though. My mother in law is motivated by seeing the -whateverthisnumbermaybe every morning. And if its up...she takes it as a challenge.
  • JeBitchy23
    Options
    i am super bad about stepping on the scale.....ill be honest...it is at least 2x a day. sometimes 3-4. once in the morning after i shower. then right before bed. personally for me i like to see the fluctuation during the day in regards to water intake and the foods i eat. i like to also like to see the difference between bedtime and morning. its crazy i know but once i started my weight loss journey i couldnt keep myself away....and before i started....i never wanted to even look at the damn thing. lol.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    This is so bad, but I step on my scale every day!

Why is this bad? I do this myself.

I find the daily weigh-ins mean I'm not allowing myself to "cheat" one day because "weigh-in isn't for another x days!", then do something unadvisable like try to fast or drop my calories the day before an artificially-self-induced "weigh-in" date. I see that all the time among my Weight-Watcher-ing brethren and sistren. "I can't eat that!!! Tomorrow is weigh-in day!" "Got news for ya, pally boy, weight loss is a DAILY job, not a weekly one!"

It also is very educational in terms of things like temporary sodium weight gain (lots of sodium = up to 2 pounds of water weight gain the next day) and other similar factors.

I don't take the daily numbers too seriously, but I always log them, because they keep me on task EVERY DAY to try to meet my goals. Consistency is key, and I need a daily measurement to hold myself responsible for that consistency.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    i am super bad about stepping on the scale.....ill be honest...it is at least 2x a day. sometimes 3-4. once in the morning after i shower. then right before bed. personally for me i like to see the fluctuation during the day in regards to water intake and the foods i eat. i like to also like to see the difference between bedtime and morning. its crazy i know but once i started my weight loss journey i couldnt keep myself away....and before i started....i never wanted to even look at the damn thing. lol.

It's OK to obsess about it a bit, as long as you are maintaining a healthy relationship with your food and not taking the numbers TOO seriously.
  • tinam76
    tinam76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i do it too but my scale plays tricks i can get on it and it says one thing step back on it says something else decided to weigh in at gym i think i will buy a new scale weigh once a week at home put my scale in the trunk of my car lol
  • JeBitchy23
    Options

It's OK to obsess about it a bit, as long as you are maintaining a healthy relationship with your food and not taking the numbers TOO seriously.

i def try not to take them too seriously. the only time the numbers really bother me is on the weekend. friday nights i play vball and then have a beer after wards....i always seem to go up a bit on saturdays so it kinda annoys me. but by monday i am back on track or maintaining. i def agree that seeing the numbers every day keep me on track and for the most part keep me away from crap i shouldnt be eating.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I weight in every monday and it is really tempting to go on before then and i have to distract myself literally and walk away or else I will jump on ... but i have found that when i have done that i don't see any change and then once monday rolls around there is a change ... usually lol.

i also do measurements ever fortnight and that is where i have seen the most benefits of all that i do. isn't it funny that it is the measurements that we should try to focus on but we just can't help to watch the scales more!!!
  • gcs1387
    gcs1387 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Every day, though I know I shouldn't as well. Friday is my "official" weigh in day, but I feel like it keeps me on track.
  • real5573
    real5573 Posts: 2
    Options
    I thought is was just me that couldn't, help themselves! Even though sometimes it is frustrating I can't help but get on the scales every morning
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've made it a trend to weigh-in at least three times a week, at the same time of day. While it doesn't provide Excel spreadsheet levels of accuracy or charting, the frequency helps keep me motivated when I see a loss and prevents me from kicking myself in the *kitten* if I've broke even during the course of a few days.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    every morning bare butt naked so i can pinpoint exactly if what i did the preceding day helped or hurt the cause. too often i think peeps wait too long and really have no clue what went wrong as so many days have passed. just my opinion.
  • Hemi87
    Hemi87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a scale at home. I weigh myself every other week after a work out.
  • minnie_me19
    Options
    once a week on sunday morning. i'm really good with not checking my weight all the time, although sometimes i do look at it throughout the week just because i'm curious.
    i really think once a week is the best way to go though.
  • PhyllisPerry
    PhyllisPerry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in the every week thing. Although it is getting tempting as I see the weight going. I do not want to get caught up on the scale thing. I want to learn to eat right and be a conscious eater. I weigh myself about every three weeks!