Protein Bars? What are your Faves? Ones to Avoid?

Options
I want to add a protein bar to my workout routine as I gear up to my first half marathon...Any recommendations?

I'd like to use it for my long 11 and 12 miles runs.

Thanks!

Replies

• knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Pure protein is the lowest cals for highest protein I've seen. The cliff builders bars are great too!
  • auuudriana
    Options
    I love the Fortifx protein bars! They are like triple baked or something and have 30 grams of protein. There's 3 different kinds and they are all delicious. You can get them at GNC.
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I also like the Pure Protein. They have a decent price, high amount of protein and don't taste like cardboard. I like the peanut butter ones.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the only ones I'd consider eating on a regular basis, because they're not full of processed junk (relatively speaking)
  • jourelemode
    Options
    sorry to be blunt, but those bars that were previously mentioned are trash :(

clif for instance has palm kernel oil :(

it uses soy protein for its main source of protein which is GMO :(

the sugars they use are bad even though they are organic, still a bad source

and pure protein bars are ultra trash...

the only good protein bar out there is quest. search it and you'll understand.

don't hate me for what i've said, get out there and try the quest bar, they are the best tasting and healthiest! the macro breakdown is top notch and the ingredients used are top quality.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    To call them trash isn't really fair. These quest bars, are they available online only? To they taste bad/gritty/chalky?

don't hate me for what i've said, get out there and try the quest bar, they are the best tasting and healthiest! the macro breakdown is top notch and the ingredients used are top quality.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

just looked at the Quest bars...and the ones with sucralose are crap to me. I'd only get the ones with stevia.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    oh, just searched for the thread I had about protein bars, and someone suggested Rise Bars as well. they're pretty expensive, but minimally processed.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I like the Clif builder bars in chocolate/peanut butter flavor. Kind bars pretty yummy too (nuts) but they don't have as much protein in them. Post run I like a glass of cold chocolate almond milk and a Clif bar. :)
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I want to add a protein bar to my workout routine as I gear up to my first half marathon...Any recommendations?

I'd like to use it for my long 11 and 12 miles runs.

Thanks!

Are you eating it before your run, during or after? I don't suggest eating it during your run. I just did 15 miles for the first time on Saturday and ate Honey Stinger chews to give me some energy. They worked well! Can't imagine eating a big protein bar mid run.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    To call them trash isn't really fair. These quest bars, are they available online only? To they taste bad/gritty/chalky?

The "vitamin shop" stores sell a couple of flavors. I buy them online But they are not cheap- $2 or so each.

I just bought a sampler and have been pretty happy with the flavors I've tried so far.

The Cinnamon roll quest bar heated a few seconds in the microwave is my favorite so far. It tastes like a snickerdoodle to me.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just found out Snickers makes a few good Protein Bars called Marathon Protein Bar.
    I tried the Chocolatey Nut Burst tonight and it was pretty darn tasty.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the only ones I'd consider eating on a regular basis, because they're not full of processed junk (relatively speaking)

This^^ and they are very very low in sugar and net carbs.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I like pure protein, just not the smores flavor, it tastes nothing like a smore and leaves a yucky after taste! Great for an after workout snack!
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    READ the WHOLE label! I wish I could remember which one it was but there is a protein bar that says in practically invisible print "excessive consumption of this causes excessive gas and sometimes has a laxative effect" or something like that. Try eating one right before watching a freaking play. My only suggestion.
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There are a few Atkins bars that taste good to me. I like their Chocolate Caramel Nut Roll and their Cashew Trail Mix Bar. Yum!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    PURE PROTEIN! :) Fav is the S'mores flavor!
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    Think Thin Chunky Peanut Butter flavor!