Shakeology - your opinions and feedback please

Options
123457»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This topic has not been locked but is edging towards so I want to put a quick note up to remind everyone that there is absolutely no need to attack, insult, or hijack the thread. Posts that add nothing to the conversation except to be critical will be removed and the user warned. There is no issue with disagreeing and having a spirited discussion on the topic. The OP ask's a legitimate question and deserves legitimate responses even of the opposing opinion their is however a way to do this respectfully.

Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff

Thankyou! I was badgered immediately just for posting something directed towards the member with the question!

So help me understand how you were badgered? You made a statement that you used to be a coach and that Shakeology is great. When asked to define what was great, you siad you didn't know and ask a doctor. If you can't say why it's great, what credibility does your statement have? Maybe it is , maybe it isn't I don't know. I do knwo that I'm cycnical about these MLM type things that pop up here. They seem to kind of skate under the no advertising radar but a lot of the posts seem to have a hidden agenda that has little to do with fitness and nutrition and more to do will marketing in my opinion.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    This topic has not been locked but is edging towards so I want to put a quick note up to remind everyone that there is absolutely no need to attack, insult, or hijack the thread. Posts that add nothing to the conversation except to be critical will be removed and the user warned. There is no issue with disagreeing and having a spirited discussion on the topic. The OP ask's a legitimate question and deserves legitimate responses even of the opposing opinion their is however a way to do this respectfully.

Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff

Thankyou! I was badgered immediately just for posting something directed towards the member with the question!

LMAO....too f***in' funny.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    For $120 a month (for a daily shake), that would be a full weeks' worth of real food. If it's convenience you're looking for, there are other options that cost much less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MelodAngel
    Options
    I find it super disappointing that people ask questions trying to get help, and so many people are so quick to criticize. It's so sad that a website like this exists to help support one another, and people end up feeling attacked. I commented on this topic in hopes that someone would actually have something to say about WHY Shakeology is so bad, but reading through the comments made me realize that it's pointless. People on here are not so kind, and it really makes me wonder why I am even a part of this. This is supposed to be a positive environment for people to feel supported, etc. Quite a few of the posts were rude, do people really have that much time on their hands that they sit around and complain about what other people eat? Who cares! Unless you're trying to help! I wasted at least ten minutes reading all of this garbage, and found that no one had anything useful to say at all.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I find the majority of people here are kind and helpful. I think most, including myself (And I use a Meal Replacement Shake), are put off by people that think helping is 'Here, go to this website and buy this product" or "Message me with questions" which looks suspiciously like "Let me sell you someting but, not in front of everyone".

The problem I have with these MLM companies, besides the Feeding Frenzy mentality, is they are trained to sell, not to actually have any knowledge based on nutrition or calories or what is needed to succeed in the program. Just how to make another dollar. Most, not all, act like they are experts in health issues, when they really only know how to be a pushy salesperson. MANY of my friends are involved in one of these and it has totally changed them. We are no longer 'friends', we have all become 'business opportunities'. I think it's sad.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I find the majority of people here are kind and helpful. I think most, including myself (And I use a Meal Replacement Shake), are put off by people that think helping is 'Here, go to this website and buy this product" or "Message me with questions" which looks suspiciously like "Let me sell you someting but, not in front of everyone".

The problem I have with these MLM companies, besides the Feeding Frenzy mentality, is they are trained to sell, not to actually have any knowledge based on nutrition or calories or what is needed to succeed in the program. Just how to make another dollar. Most, not all, act like they are experts in health issues, when they really only know how to be a pushy salesperson. MANY of my friends are involved in one of these and it has totally changed them. We are no longer 'friends', we have all become 'business opportunities'. I think it's sad.

Extremely well put! Especially this: "Message me with questions" which looks suspiciously like "Let me sell you someting but, not in front of everyone".
    This is exactly how I interpreted that particular post and when Acg67 asked for the info to be posted openly, that poster got very defensive and said they didn't know and to ask a doctor. that only reinforced the perception of "Let me sell you someting but, not in front of everyone".
    I know nothing about Shakeology but I do know what sounds like baloney to me. I also know and have read enough posts by Acg67 to know that when he says he doesn't believe the vitamins content has value, I will tend to listen. He is an extremely well read and knowledgeable guy who pretty much always has thoughtful insights and is rarely if ever rude. Typically he can be really helpful and shares his knowledge readily. He was just asking a pointed question to which there was no credible reply.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Extremely well put! Especially this: "Message me with questions" which looks suspiciously like "Let me sell you someting but, not in front of everyone".
    This is exactly how I interpreted that particular post and when Acg67 asked for the info to be posted openly, that poster got very defensive and said they didn't know and to ask a doctor. that only reinforced the perception of "Let me sell you someting but, not in front of everyone".
    I know nothing about Shakeology but I do know what sounds like baloney to me. I also know and have read enough posts by Acg67 to know that when he says he doesn't believe the vitamins content has value, I will tend to listen. He is an extremely well read and knowledgeable guy who pretty much always has thoughtful insights and is rarely if ever rude. Typically he can be really helpful and shares his knowledge readily. He was just asking a pointed question to which there was no credible reply.

It's not that I think those forms of vitamins have no value, they are just cheaper and less absorbable then other forms. And one would expect something that is billed as being the "healthiest meal of the day", only uses top ingredients and charges an insane premium would use better forms of vitamins. Also it is a common tatic in the supplement industry to have tons of ingredients in prop blends to make it look impressive, but they are basically just filler, none are in actual efficacious dosages
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I find it super disappointing that people ask questions trying to get help, and so many people are so quick to criticize. It's so sad that a website like this exists to help support one another, and people end up feeling attacked. I commented on this topic in hopes that someone would actually have something to say about WHY Shakeology is so bad, but reading through the comments made me realize that it's pointless. People on here are not so kind, and it really makes me wonder why I am even a part of this. This is supposed to be a positive environment for people to feel supported, etc. Quite a few of the posts were rude, do people really have that much time on their hands that they sit around and complain about what other people eat? Who cares! Unless you're trying to help! I wasted at least ten minutes reading all of this garbage, and found that no one had anything useful to say at all.

I do not consider Shakeology meal replacement drinks to be a protected class of citizen which are immune to criticism. If someone asks for an opinion of the drink or company I feel free to give my opinion.

I've often said I don't like asparagus. Or liver. No one calls me rude. No one tells me that if I can't say something nice I should just shut my mouth.

But it happens every single time with Shakeology or Herbalife or Vi. Why? Because people are on this forum trying to sell them. So they want all negative views silenced, so it's that much easier to use this website to sell their overpriced shakes.

There's another thread about protein bars. Everyone has their favorites. Some people think some are good, others are bad. Not one person in that thread cries "You're all haters! Please don't be rude! Say something nice or don't say anything!" It only happens in these threads.

You can't be rude to a milkshake. But you CAN spot a novice salesman a mile away, if you know what to look out for.
  • jml_25
    jml_25 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my Shakeology! I can't believe people are being so rude saying to try real food and bashing it as a meal replacement. I love chocolate and hate to eat breakfast. I would try to drink a large latte with a piece of fruit for breakfast but a shake is much more nutritious and gives me a chocolate fix, I would consider Shakeology much more of a "real food" than a snickers or snack bar laden with chemicals!
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    Blimey - I had NO idea that I would open such a can of worms! Thank you for everyone that gave genuine feedback and comments, I found it most helpful......unlike those who just fancied a rant and questioned why I wanted to know more in the first instance!
  • ShawnDMuth
    ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Maybe stating the facts will help this topic:
    This is what is in Shakeology Tropical Strawberry (vegan version)

-PROTEIN-raw sprouted whole grain brown rice protein ,sacha inchi
    SUPERFOOD/FIBER blend- cocunut flower nectar, sprouted chia, sprouted flax, pea fiber, quinoa, amaranth
    ADAPTOGEN HERB BLEND-maca root, astragalus root, ashwagnadha root, maitake mushroom, cordyceps, reishi mushroom, holy basil, schisandra, ginkgo biloba leaf
    ANTIOXIDENT-SUPER FRUIT BLEND-pomegranate, acerola cherry, bilberry, goji berry, camu-camu, blueberry, citrusbioflavonoids, green tea, rose hips
    PROPRIETARY FRUIT POWDER BLEND- strawberry, apple pectin, banana, pineapple, papaya
    PROPRIETARY PREBIOTIC AND PROBIOTIC BLEND- yacon root, lactobacillus sporogenes
    PHYTONUTRIENT-SUPER GREENS BLEND- spirulina, chlorella, spinach, barley grass, kamut grass, oat grass, wheat grass
    MSM
    PROPRIETARY DIGESTIVE ENZYME BLEND- protease, amylase, cellulase, lipase, papain, lactase, bromeain

Calories-160 Fat 1g Cholesterol-0 Sodium 70mg Total carbs 20g Fiber 4g Sugar 10g Protein 15 g

This is more than a protein shake. I use to run a supplement store this would cost over $300 in bottles easily.
  • kevglu
    kevglu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this thread has made me lose so much respect for the team beachbody brand and people involved with it. I really enjoy Insanity but will seriously think through this used car salesman approach to selling health supplements before I consider ever supporting them again. What a bummer.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Maybe stating the facts will help this topic:
    This is what is in Shakeology Tropical Strawberry (vegan version)

-PROTEIN-raw sprouted whole grain brown rice protein ,sacha inchi
    SUPERFOOD/FIBER blend- cocunut flower nectar, sprouted chia, sprouted flax, pea fiber, quinoa, amaranth
    ADAPTOGEN HERB BLEND-maca root, astragalus root, ashwagnadha root, maitake mushroom, cordyceps, reishi mushroom, holy basil, schisandra, ginkgo biloba leaf
    ANTIOXIDENT-SUPER FRUIT BLEND-pomegranate, acerola cherry, bilberry, goji berry, camu-camu, blueberry, citrusbioflavonoids, green tea, rose hips
    PROPRIETARY FRUIT POWDER BLEND- strawberry, apple pectin, banana, pineapple, papaya
    PROPRIETARY PREBIOTIC AND PROBIOTIC BLEND- yacon root, lactobacillus sporogenes
    PHYTONUTRIENT-SUPER GREENS BLEND- spirulina, chlorella, spinach, barley grass, kamut grass, oat grass, wheat grass
    MSM
    PROPRIETARY DIGESTIVE ENZYME BLEND- protease, amylase, cellulase, lipase, papain, lactase, bromeain

Calories-160 Fat 1g Cholesterol-0 Sodium 70mg Total carbs 20g Fiber 4g Sugar 10g Protein 15 g

This is more than a protein shake. I use to run a supplement store this would cost over $300 in bottles easily.

How would you know it would cost over $300 when all blends are prop blends and most likely all the ingredients are just filler to put on the label, none are actually in efficacious dosages?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this thread has made me lose so much respect for the team beachbody brand and people involved with it. I really enjoy Insanity but will seriously think through this used car salesman approach to selling health supplements before I consider ever supporting them again. What a bummer.

Don't let a few bad ones ruin your view on all BB coaches! Mine is really nice and supportive. She does not EVER push any of us to buy the products. In the Facebook group she started for her team, she posts motivational stuff all day and keeps us accountable by making sure we post pics of our meals and pics of us after we workout (whether its a BB program or just running on the track.) I'm actually shocked at how much she cares (or pretends to care...who knows lol)
  • bobbyhase
    bobbyhase Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile: I just have to say… I started Shakeology a month ago. I was not sure at first …but about a week in I felt better than I have in a long time (probably the last 10 yrs) . The cravings are all gone I have better control of my eating I am easily satisfied by a smaller meal and I have tons of energy… I have tried insanity and it was a great work out however it is very intense and find that since I've started Shakelology I can handle it so much better… I feel better than ever…I let my daughter try it, and she liked it also…thing is …I have run out now and I can tell ….I cannot wait for my next shipment…
    Word of Caution for anyone trying it … my first time…it felt like to much… I would say …start it with something on your stomach… and drink it slowly …it is so nutrient dense… you might not be used to it… well its how i felt anyway…
    BB has been fantastic to me…
  • bobbyhase
    bobbyhase Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile: I just have to say… I started Shakeology a month ago. I was not sure at first …but about a week in I felt better than I have in a long time (probably the last 10 yrs) . The cravings are all gone I have better control of my eating I am easily satisfied by a smaller meal and I have tons of energy… I have tried insanity and it was a great work out however it is very intense and find that since I've started Shakelology I can handle it so much better… I feel better than ever…I let my daughter try it, and she liked it also…thing is …I have run out now and I can tell ….I cannot wait for my next shipment…
    Word of Caution for anyone trying it … my first time…it felt like to much… I would say …start it with something on your stomach… and drink it slowly …it is so nutrient dense… you might not be used to it… well its how i felt anyway…
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you intend to do it for life, then kudos. If you're using it for a weight loss program, then expect weight regain once you stop. Drinking shakes don't teach individuals how to eat the right amount of food. It just substitutes it.

EDIT: Didn't realize how old this thread was till just now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition