Tell me your secret weight loss tips!!!

Options

Replies

• sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    Don't use MFP calorie settings, they are too generic and cause you to under eat. Be sure to eat your BMR plus TDEE minus 15%

In my case, MFP is right on target. Not sure why some people say this.

I find mine to be right on target too.
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks @lambertj . That's fantastic. Going to work that out now!!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

If you use this for your calories you do not eat your exercise calories back like MFP does because they are already incorporated in your TDEE

Or, you can calculate your TDEE at sedentary and then eat back your exercise calories. I actually like this method better since I don't consistently burn the same calories every day.

Good point, if you aren't consistent in your exercise, this is a good option. The only problem I have with it is that I work out at night and am usually not hungry the day of a good burn, but moreso the next day

I recalculated using my TDEE as sedentary and I can eat my exercise calories and MFP was band on. Think I'll keep it this way. Understand it and can manage it. Thanks for all your help!!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    Get some digital scales, and weigh EVERYTHING

^^^^ THIS!! ^^^^
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot?
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I was going to say eat clean and exercise but this was one thing that really changed my life in terms of portion control!! :smile:
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    Lots of water, healthy foods, cardio AND weight lifting.
  • nanasgt
    nanasgt Posts: 33
    Options
    :smile:
  • KittyHeff
    Options
    You have to believe you are worth the effort to lose weight and be healthy. Forgive yourself if you mess up and get back on track immediately.
    I'm so sick of beating myself up when I fall off the wagon. Going to take a leaf out of your book!! Thanks :happy:
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options

^^^AGREE!!!^^^

Small digital scales can be gotten cheap at Harbor Freight, Amazon.com or even Target...a little scale that does oz/grams is perfect...get a unit conversion app to be a companion in case some of the foods come up in MFP in pounds or if a food only comes up with grams and you need oz. There are even pocket scales to take with you...might be a tad obsessive, but remember: the restaurants are working against us with portion size and the scale's the only way to keep calories in perspective.

Weigh everything except raw veggies...(that does not include potatoes, corn and beans as they aren't vegetables and they contain a significant amount of calories)...weighing them is annoying and even a huge pile of greens/salad mix ends up being <50 calories.

Weigh daily. Same time, same conditions--pre/post shower, clothes, etc.) Record only the losses for the ease of your mind. Focus on foods that you love, don't eat things you don't. Save the calories for those that are most rewarding. Eat a little of everything...do NOT eliminate anything you love...moderate! Unless you have fun outlets for exercise, don't lean on a gym membership to hit your daily goal as this is expensive and something that's unfortunately easy to maintain for the rest of your life...healthy eating habits are the SINGLE, ONLY thing you can bring with you everywhere until the day you die.

Since we don't grow our own food anymore, and industrial farming has made food so cheap it's become extremely difficult to eat only what you need...which is why calorie counting has become so important...it's no different than balancing your checkbook, without some sort of "budget" things can get out of control.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Never seen a "pocket scale" -where do you get them? I actually bought a small nesting bowl set which are actually "measuring cups with the intent to take when I'm heading out to eat out but I keep forgetting to take them. But it's a very good idea if you eat out a lot and the pocket scale sound like something to add to that (especially if you have aphone that does not have the apps) :smile:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    More exercise. Always more exercise.

Eat healthy food. Raw when possible, unprocessed when feasible, processed only when absolutely unavoidable. Keep carbs/proteins/fats in balance. Log everything so you can learn what you need to adjust.

Stick with the plan. Plan meals you enjoy. Set reasonable goals to avoid disappointment, which can lead to setbacks. If you fail to meet a goal, try again. Be patient. Persevere.

Accept the occasional plateau and the fact that your actual weight loss will slow down as you approach your ideal weight.

Stay the course, but be ready to make adjustments. If a plateau lasts more than a couple of weeks, shake things up - try a new exercise you've never done before to get some new muscles on your side, change your menu around and try some different foods you've never eaten before. Play with the balance between fats/carbs/proteins. Surprise your body into losing the next pound.

Don't compare yourself or your weight loss to anyone else. Ever. You are your own person and must do what your body needs you to do. Above all, don't watch fakey "reality" shows about losing weight.

Forgive yourself the occasional mistake and always look forward, not backward.

Never let a minor mistake turn in to a major one (if you find yourself saying "well, I've already blown my diet for today, might as well..." **STOP**. Kill that thought, kill it immediately, and make sure it gets stomped dead. Each calorie is its own little entity, they aren't any less impactful when they are eaten in large quantities).

Maintain a healthy relationship with your food. Fats are your friends. Carbs are your friends. Proteins are your very best friends. Nutrients, I love you most of all. You need all your friends. Food is NOT your enemy, over-eating and under-eating are your enemy.

Never give up.

Never mistake "weight" for "health". They are two different and only vaguely related things.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I consider my motivation to be a muscle group all its own that needs strengthening, training, cross-training, stretching and rest. I work in a day each week (usually a rest day) to build up my motivation so it can keep going - instead of using it all up until it runs dry (and then is much harder to build back up from nothing).

I read about physical adventures I could go on in the future.
    I read fitness or health and lifestyle magazines.
    I make colorful sticker calendars and admire all the stars from the days I worked out and how many there are.
    I wash all my exercise clothes and organize my gym bag.
    I watch my favorite action movies.
    I take my measurements and window shop for clothing.
    I buy a bunch of healthy food, etc

all so that the upcoming week will be easier and next week I will look back and thank myself.

Good luck!!!
  • KittyHeff
    Options
    More exercise. Always more exercise.

Eat healthy food. Raw when possible, unprocessed when feasible, processed only when absolutely unavoidable. Keep carbs/proteins/fats in balance. Log everything so you can learn what you need to adjust.

Stick with the plan. Plan meals you enjoy. Set reasonable goals to avoid disappointment, which can lead to setbacks. If you fail to meet a goal, try again. Be patient. Persevere.

Accept the occasional plateau and the fact that your actual weight loss will slow down as you approach your ideal weight.

Stay the course, but be ready to make adjustments. If a plateau lasts more than a couple of weeks, shake things up - try a new exercise you've never done before to get some new muscles on your side, change your menu around and try some different foods you've never eaten before. Play with the balance between fats/carbs/proteins. Surprise your body into losing the next pound.

Don't compare yourself or your weight loss to anyone else. Ever. You are your own person and must do what your body needs you to do. Above all, don't watch fakey "reality" shows about losing weight.

Forgive yourself the occasional mistake and always look forward, not backward.

Never let a minor mistake turn in to a major one (if you find yourself saying "well, I've already blown my diet for today, might as well..." **STOP**. Kill that thought, kill it immediately, and make sure it gets stomped dead. Each calorie is its own little entity, they aren't any less impactful when they are eaten in large quantities).

Maintain a healthy relationship with your food. Fats are your friends. Carbs are your friends. Proteins are your very best friends. Nutrients, I love you most of all. You need all your friends. Food is NOT your enemy, over-eating and under-eating are your enemy.

Never give up.

Never mistake "weight" for "health". They are two different and only vaguely related things.

LOVE this post!!! Thank you
  • hotcocoa8
    hotcocoa8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Acronyms for SUCCESS are

See your goal.
    Understand the obstacles.
    Clear your mind.
    Create a positive mental picture.
    Embrace the challenge.
    Stay on track.
    Show the world you can do it.

I saw this somewhere.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Never seen a "pocket scale" -where do you get them? I actually bought a small nesting bowl set which are actually "measuring cups with the intent to take when I'm heading out to eat out but I keep forgetting to take them. But it's a very good idea if you eat out a lot and the pocket scale sound like something to add to that (especially if you have aphone that does not have the apps) :smile:

Best for use in a baggy pair of old "fat" jeans or a purse as it's not iPhone-thin!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-pocket-scale-93543.html
  • KittyHeff
    Options

Best for use in a baggy pair of old "fat" jeans or a purse as it's not iPhone-thin!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-pocket-scale-93543.html

Found one on eBay for €10. Really thin. Was actually a jewelers weighing scales!!
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zia130
    zia130 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I was going to comment and lost this thread, so thanks to whomever bumped it up to the top.

OP, I've pretty much been the same weight my entire life, I joined MFP to encourage my family. So I'll give you my tips and you can take it from there. I was 165lbs in high school, I'm 167lbs or so now...44 years old....just ran a marathon. With a little weight training I'll try and get to 170lbs for summer.

80% - Diet
    Make no mistake, they say abs start in the kitchen. And as Jillian says you can eat through any amount of exercise. So pretty much I've always been a smart eater, substituting healthy choices like chicken and broccoli for McDonalds. I really don't keep sweets or snacks in my house haha. Drink plenty of water. Try not to eat anything out of a bag or box. Don't get me wrong I do like to go out and eat/drink but I try to do it in moderation.

10% - Exercise
    I've never belonged to a gym and don't own a treadmill. But I've always been a runner, and that's my best kept secret. I ran track in h.s. I've also done 5ks, 10ks, a half and full marathon and you'll burn a huge amount of calories. Start with the couch to 5k program and go from there. Even to this day I run 2-3 times a week.

10% - Determination
    You have to be determined and ready, in advance, for the ups and downs. Not everything will go smoothly and you'll have a bad day. You may not see results right away -- or none at all for a time. Change your routine. Pick up from where you left and keep going. Be honest about your choices. Are people really "too busy to exercise"? No, they just haven't made it a part of their life. Once it becomes a part of your life you make time for it, like eating and sleeping. It's just something you do.

Anyway, that's my take. Hope it helps ;)