How do you report a group?

Options

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The point was that they are to follow MFP guidelines. If they want their own group fine but if it is not within these parameters they should go somewhere else. No, they are not hurting anyone else but their's is not the philosophy of MFP. That is the point.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    In mice and stuff, lovey. Those are pretty crude studies, and they don't consider all the negative health implications (low bone density, for instance.... )

Well you just proved that you didn't actually go to any of the links. Lovey. :huh:
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    From the (unread) WSJ article:

Scientists have known since the 1930s that the technique lengthens the lives of mice. But until now, no study had shown the technique worked in monkeys, which are more genetically similar to humans. One difficulty: Monkeys live almost 30 years on average, meaning any study to measure a difference in death rates would need to wait a long time.

The Wisconsin study, which began in 1989 with 30 rhesus monkeys and added 46 more in 1994, is the first to yield a definitive finding. Researchers began restricting half the monkeys' diets, reducing their calories by 30%, when the monkeys were fully grown, or about 10 years old.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I went to the group thread and did not see anything outrageous. It is a group of folks that do not want to be told to follow a strict 1200 cal eating style. It's ok! I did not see anything promoting diet pills, drinks, shakes, eating disorders, etc. There is no call to arms, riot or agenda to recruit others.
    They are, in fact, adults and can decide what is good, bad or indifferent for themselves. We all did and we are here in one group or another or several.
    Your concern for your fellow beings is fantastic but don't get distraught over something that you cannot control. They are not hurting anyone and, hopefully, will mind their bodies for any snags!
    Peace!

it must be the mid day i need to go eat lunch syndrome, but I can see who we don't want standing by on a suicide prevention hotline

"you're an adult, you have to make that choice"

ahem! You do not know me. Do not make such rash statements. Very uncalled for and ignorant!
    I stated my opinion without bashing anyone!

Report em! Do it! Do it! Do it!
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    :happy:
    I went to the group thread and did not see anything outrageous. It is a group of folks that do not want to be told to follow a strict 1200 cal eating style. It's ok! I did not see anything promoting diet pills, drinks, shakes, eating disorders, etc. There is no call to arms, riot or agenda to recruit others.
    They are, in fact, adults and can decide what is good, bad or indifferent for themselves. We all did and we are here in one group or another or several.
    Your concern for your fellow beings is fantastic but don't get distraught over something that you cannot control. They are not hurting anyone and, hopefully, will mind their bodies for any snags!
    Peace!

it must be the mid day i need to go eat lunch syndrome, but I can see who we don't want standing by on a suicide prevention hotline

"you're an adult, you have to make that choice"

ahem! You do not know me. Do not make such rash statements. Very uncalled for and ignorant!
    I stated my opinion without bashing anyone!

Report em! Do it! Do it! Do it!

:happy:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    How about dont join groups that dont match your fitness goals and ignore all the rest.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know that the staff is aware of your concerns.

We're looking into the matter of whether the group in question is in violation of this guideline
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

However, it's not a cut-and-dried case, as the group is not presenting itself as actively promoting any particular considered-to-be-dangerous supplements or protocols. We're definitely going to weigh our options, but for now we'll err on the side of conservative moderation and all the group to run its course.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Lol at such childish banter among older individuals.

Each person's body is different, and may not follow the guidelines that other bodies follow. Some people may need to ingest more calories than the average person, some people may need to ingest less calories than the average person.

Height, cw, gw, gender, physical and psychological history, history of illness within families, ethnicities.. All of those factors and more play out to how your body will function.

Personally, I follow a 1100 calorie routine, but I've been trying to stay at a 960 deficit to lose the fat around my midsection.

I hope this issue is settled soon.
  • TheDecision
    Options
    Not everyone who eats 800-110 calories/day is going to develop an eating disorder. I believe your opinion is tainted by your own history. You can report it, but I doubt MFP will make it go away.

this ^
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they aren't using something like HCG? with that you have to eat a very small amount of calories.

I was thinking the same thing..HCG diet starts off with 500 calories.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The point was that they are to follow MFP guidelines. If they want their own group fine but if it is not within these parameters they should go somewhere else. No, they are not hurting anyone else but their's is not the philosophy of MFP. That is the point.

really because you know i can alter all of mfp tools to fit my style. if its so taboo then why does it allow me to put the calories a day I WANT.. i can do but not talk about it in private where no one who does not SEEK THE GROUP OUt will see it?
  • Vench
    Vench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not everyone who eats 800-110 calories/day is going to develop an eating disorder. I believe your opinion is tainted by your own history. You can report it, but I doubt MFP will make it go away.

Hit the nail on the head. If you're still that affected by an eating disorder and its aftermath, maaaaybe a community that counts calories isn't for you.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they aren't using something like HCG? with that you have to eat a very small amount of calories.

I was thinking the same thing..HCG diet starts off with 500 calories.

i personally am not, whether others are is their thing as long as they do not push or post websites for it in the group.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    "Mommy! Timmy took my french fry!"

oh man, that made me bust out laughing here in my office........
  • Vench
    Vench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    *busts out the zero calorie popcorn*
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    I for one would be REALLY diappointed in MFP if they take that group down, eating that low in calories is normal for small people, ones under doctor's orders, people cutting for bodybuilding competitions.....etc etc.

It does not lead to an eating disorder any more than groups promoting eating more food to lose weight promotes obesity.....your mental health leads to an eating disorder......

If you can't talk about low calories to lose weight than you can't talk about high calories to lose weight either.....so say goodbye to about 5000 threads on MFP !
  • fungirl57
    Options
    My calorie limit is 1200, but sometimes I go over and sometimes I go under. Definitely NOT anorexic or bulemic. 5'7" and been small all my life and called skinny until I began to gain probably in my 40s. I'm looking at foods that turn into sugar when they are ingested and I am going to try to avoid these because I am fighting belly fat.:smile:
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know that the staff is aware of your concerns.

We're looking into the matter of whether the group in question is in violation of this guideline
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

However, it's not a cut-and-dried case, as the group is not presenting itself as actively promoting any particular considered-to-be-dangerous supplements or protocols. We're definitely going to weigh our options, but for now we'll err on the side of conservative moderation and all the group to run its course.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff

Thank you Steven for having some sense and a good head on your shoulders..... you must be inundated with stupid complaints.... :flowerforyou:
  • Sheehan02
    Sheehan02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    gOOdmOrning:

Go to the very bottom of this page and there is a Contact us tab. Click on it and your question will go to the webmaster and you will get an answer
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    The issue for me is somehow or another I do see threads from groups I am not in that I am not looking for. Therefore they aren't private and can influence others on here. By its name it is advertising the practice. Maybe the only way is if a friend posts on such a thread but frankly I don't go looking for other groups threads but find myself clicking on a thread and find out it is from a group I am not in. So it isn't just a matter of sticking our noses where they don't need to be. It is also a matter of keeping this site a place we can trust to be having to do with health and fitness. If the group specified it was only for those who are on special medical care that doesn't apply to the average person I could accept that.