Doctor says I should lose 75lbs...!?

Options
I updated my main photo today to a full body shot, so you can get an idea of what I look like.

I weigh 224 pounds, and a doctor recently suggested a goal weight of around 150 for me. I feel like that's a bit too low for me. I'm 5'9", and at my healthiest, and most fit, I was 170. I haven't been 150 since age 13. I don't know what to do, or what to aim for. As of now, I've set my sights on 175, I feel like that's fair.

I'm confused on this whole thing, because my family is screaming at me that 25 pounds is enough, my husband says I'm fine the way I am (though he supports me, fully.), and my doctor is telling me that I'm becoming significantly obese, and 150 is a healthy weight. I'm just confused. Help?

Replies

• blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'11 and my goal weight is 170-180. I think being 5'9 a goal of 150 is reasonable but I think 175 is a great personal goal! You have to do best with how you feel at that weight and how easy it is to maintain. Good Luck!!!
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The least educated on weight and nutrition are usually doctors!
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    I am almost 5'11 and my goal weight is 170-180. I think being 5'9 a goal of 150 is reasonable but I think 175 is a great personal goal! You have to do best with how you feel at that weight and how easy it is to maintain. Good Luck!!!

I understand that the numbers match up, but I don't think I would look right at 150.

This was me at 170, for reference.

l.jpg
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend is almost 5'9" and 135lbs and she looks great. I think 175 is quite high and I would agree that 150 is good for a woman. You are underestimating what 175 is and you'll probably be carrying too much body fat at that weight.

What I think you should do is set your goal (which is 175) and assess once you're there but be honest with yourself once you are there. Women carry much less muscle, so at 175 you'll be carrying a lot more body fat than a male. But, in the end, it's what you're happy with. If you reach 175 and you're comfortable and content with yourself then I believe that's the right place for you.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your weight should be, but I'd concentrate more on getting healthy and losing fat as opposed to weight. If you were 200 lbs with 20% body fat I doubt he'd have a problem with that. (Obviously those are made up arbitrary numbers)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9". 155 was my initial goal weight. Now that I'm there, I think I could stand to lose even 5-10 more maybe.

The important thin gis to start, and stick with it until you feel like you're done. That's way more important than a number on a scale. Bring yourself into the healthy range and then see what you think.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I too had concerns when I was told I needed to be in the 140's (I'm 220 and 5'7). When I spoke with my primary, he said BMI is a terrible way to come up with a goal weight. Instead, focus on your body fat percentage. Aim for 25%. When you get there, you may be 160, 170 or 180. You just don't know until you get closer.
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How about YOU decide what is best and healthy for you and your own body?? Im over 6' tall and there are scales that say I should weigh as low as 135! The lowest Ive ever been was 169 and that was on the verge of too thin for me and my build.

I wouldnt worry one bit about what your doc says. If you get to a weight where you feel healthy, have a healthy BMI and feel great - then screw everyone else. :) Good luck girl.
  • dstanfo7
    dstanfo7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You need to lose what you are comfortable with. Doctors are going off charts that dont always fit with the patient they are talking to. Im taking a health class at my school right now and we were just talking about this kind of situation. The charts they look at is for everyone as a whole not one person as an individual. If I were you I'd just eat in healthy portions of food and exercise normally. Don't put yourself in starvation mode just to get the pounds off that your doctor tells you, do what you feel is healthiest for you. Good luck with your goals :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    You are 224 pounds? You do not look that at all!!!

ETA - saw your pic at 170. I am your height, weight 165 ish, and I have quite the belly lol. You carry your weight well!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I feel you sjould go by BF% more than a number on a scale. I would get a BF% measurement of your body now and go from there. This is the right place to be though for your journey whichever direction you decide to take :-)
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The suggestions to base it on body fat % are the way to go! If you don't have a body fat % reader or access to one at a gym, you can find formulas online to tell you approximately where you are. For women, the generally accepted body fat % for healthy is 21-33%. See where you feel happy in that range.

For example, I'm 5'6". I weigh just under 200 lbs, with a body fat percentage of 39%. This means that 39% of me is fat. If I want to be at 21% body fat, my goal weight is 155 lbs. I figure I'll get down to 165 and re-evaluate, and keep an eye on my body fat percentage, as I may gain or lose muscle mass between now and then. Check out www.fat2fitradio.com/tools for some useful calculators. Part of the confusion for a lot of people is in muscle mass, if you're built, it really throws off your BMI. If you have a particularly large bone structure you're also thrown off.

The picture of you at 170 looks fantastic! Listen to your heart in the end.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I am 5'9" and my goal right now is to get to 160. I looked good at 155 but that was forever ago. Maybe set a small goal and then set a new one after you see how you feel. You have to make you happy and don't let the doctor or anyone else tell you how to feel comfortable in your own skin.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Maybe when you lose that first 25 pounds you and your doctor can re-evaluate.
    I started at 230 and originally set 175 as my goal; and I'm only 5'2". My goal continues to shft downward as i lose. Now, at 62 pounds lost, my latest goal is 130.
    It OK to adjust your goal as you make progress.:smile:
  • ldeleau
    ldeleau Posts: 2
    Options
    I am 5' 8" and my goal weight is 135... but that is me and where I am comfortable with. It is important that you are comfortable with where you are. For me it about staying ahead of the family history for health issues and at the age of 43 looking good on the beach :smile: With my 18 month old daughter on my hip. Go for what you are comfortable with... start for 170 and take it from there. You might think you are good there, or might decide that you WANT to go further.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I say shoot for 175, you looked AWESOME @ 170. Just get there and see how it goes. Start by aiming for 200, then gradually change.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Rather than worrying about pounds, get your body fat % tested. That's the true measure of health/fitness - not a number on the scale (nor that outdated, useless BMI crap!). Work at getting it down to an acceptable number, then you'll know the "right" weight for you.
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters to go by a healthy body fat. Weight is so subjective esp. if you have a big frame or are muscular (since muscle weighs more than fat). I would have your body fat percentage measured and aim for the proper percentage for you and not pay so much attention to the number on the scale. I am 5'10 and if I weighed 150, I know I would look emaciated.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 164 is considered the high end of the normal weight range for our height. My goal is 150-155 depending on my body fat % at those weights.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'd get a professional assessment of your body fat, from someone other than the Dr. who suggested your weight loss amt. That is only true way to find out. I think they submerge you in water or something. Not sure because I've never done it, just read about it.
    Don't go just by your height and weight alone. Unless you have a huge gut that we can't see, I'd say you don't need to lose that much. Are you big boned? I think you look great.