Doctor says I should lose 75lbs...!?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with everyone who said to look at BF% more than weight. The doctor probably assumes that you'd have a healthy BF at 150. In reality, when you were 170 maybe you were athletic and had a lot of muscle, so you weighed more but your BF was still low. You just have to do what works for you, but I'd say don't focus so much on the scale.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'11 and my goal weight is 170-180. I think being 5'9 a goal of 150 is reasonable but I think 175 is a great personal goal! You have to do best with how you feel at that weight and how easy it is to maintain. Good Luck!!!

I understand that the numbers match up, but I don't think I would look right at 150.

This was me at 170, for reference.

l.jpg

I would say if this is you at 170 I would shoot for that and just make sure you are healthy (i.e. eating healthier, exercising, toning, etc..) a Dr although educated do not understand nutrition most of the time and usually just go off of the generic Height to Weight BMI which is totally bogus. Look into the BF% measurements or you can find calculators that go off of Height/Weight but also waist, wrist, hip and neck measurements that will give you a more accurate idea of where you are at than the BMI. hope that helps and good luck to you :-)
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and am currently at 199. My profile picture was taken about 2 weeks ago. I only want to lose 20 more lbs. As an adult, at my thinnest I weighed around 165...I was too thin. You need to take into consideration your body type and bone structure, not just height. I'm Amazon-like. What is considered my ideal weight for my height makes me look like I have an eating disorder...and a huge head. I suggest not focusing too much on pounds, but more so on measurements, clothing and lab results...(cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure). When you are comfortable with the way you look and are healthy, then you are at the correct weight.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This! Bone structure and % body fat are important too!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The least educated on weight and nutrition are usually doctors!

Are you kidding me?! Incorrect.
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    100 lbs for 5 foot and 5 pounds for every inch after. 145lbs. Doctor is correct. Range for larger bone structure is 5-10 lbs per inch. 145-190. See how you feel at your personal goal. I know it seems ridiculously low but if you ever have traveled over seas it is obvious how to pick out a tubby American.
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    This! Bone structure and % body fat are important too!

Yes
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    aim for 170 and see how that works for you as your goal
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I would take what your doctors says with a grain of salt. Only you really know what's best for your body, so if it's 170, shoot for that. Size isn't necessarily an indication of health (see: sumo wrestlers). Set yourself some mini goals and then see how you feel at each one.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing now and looked amazing at 170! I don't think you need to ever go below 170.
  • pippiagain
    Options
    It depends on your bone structure--170 may be just perfect for you!
    Just remember, 50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class!!
  • lbcbeachbum77
    lbcbeachbum77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If unsure don't stress about it... Focus on your original goal of 170. If when you get there you are still unsure revisit your doctor. At that time you can decide for yourself if you want to readjust your goals. Also, There is a big difference between a firm and toned170 and flabby 150... muscle mass may make all the difference. No need to sweat the small stuff on big goals today.. just get started and make that choice when it comes :)
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 215 and 5'9 and my goal weight is my dream weight of 140. Healthwise my BMI says I should be between 125.5 and 140. Of course weight isn't all you need to be interested in. It's size and BMI. Do what is healthy.. just because you have a goal of 175 for now, doesn't mean you can't change it later. It's a great 1st time goal. And if you're happy there and healthy, then that's ok too if you stay there! But you always have the option of goaling lower once you reach your goal this time :)

Good luck!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    It depends on your bone structure--170 may be just perfect for you!
    Just remember, 50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class!!

lol, love it, very true :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it.... just get started with eating healthy and doing some exercise and see how you feel when you have lost some weight. I didn't know what my goal weight should be and to be honest, I still don't. I tend to think that about 70kg (that's about 156) is fine for me.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hee. I think the problem with doctors these days is that they rarely listen.

My doctor gave me 135. I'm 5'11, with a distinctly Amazonian frame. 165 nets me a flat stomach and some boobage. 150 nets me a really. big. head and not enough boob to distract from it.

I am not sure what 135 would give me, but I have a feeling it wouldn't even be vaguely sustainable on my frame. Since my LBM is 15 lbs over that, I only have to assume it would cost me a ton of muscle to get that low.

They just don't look. Or listen. Most of them overbook appointments and only come into visit for a few minutes before running out. They don't know you like they used to. I'd much rather hang with a dietician for those kinds of numbers.

You can choose your goal weight. Just get to the first one and re-evaluate.