Don't want to be rude BUT

Options

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything rude about purchasing your own lunch. You could explain that you want a salad and didn't want to be rude by taking too much of the salad that's provided.
  • XxJulsSxX
    XxJulsSxX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Jesus that's gross! We have the same team lunch each friday, but I order things like Sushi, Sandwiches, salads from local places. On occasion I'll order Dominos or Subway! Give her feedback or suggestions, this is what I ask the guys for, its the only way to improve the gesture. :)
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When I'm in situations like that, I'd take a snack so you're not hungry, fill up a plate of food (mostly salad), eat that and place a small portion of everything else. Cut it up to make it look like you ate it and tell them you loved it, it was so filling but your stuffed!

I know it's your body etc. but it's also your bosses meeting so you don't want to get on her bad side or piss her off.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    mhhh the idea of all the greasy food you just named has made me hungry damn
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to avoid confrontation, you could always have a healthy snack mid-morning. Then just have the salad during the lunch. If anyone says anything, just tell them the truth - you were hungry earlier, snacked, so you're not very hungry now. You and your co-workers will both be satisfied and no one gets their feelings hurt. Office politics are the worst...
  • gacowboy
    gacowboy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In the end, YOU are responsible for your health and no one else. You should decide what you want or need to eat. THEY will not answer for your health issues later in life, You will! Your health, your choice! Be STRONG!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I would just bring my own lunch. When they ask why, just explain that the greasy food upsets your stomach.
  • Boop1959
    Boop1959 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pack your own lunch!
  • krnrnee
    krnrnee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's not rude to ask for healthier choices. Perhaps more side salad? It's also not rude to bring your own food. You could say heavy foods upset your stomach or that the salads disappear so fast that maybe there should be more (they don't disappear? Then take all you want!)
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i dont think its rude!!!! bring something for home or load up of salad..just tell them ur allergic to cheese or ham..or say it gives u bad indigestion!!!!! or say u just simply dont like mac and cheese!!!
  • Boop1959
    Boop1959 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just tell them you prefer to bring your own lunch. It's not being rude at all. It's being smart.
  • Zbigniew1
    Zbigniew1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Be proud of being the first one to eat healthy at the meeting.
    If your colleagues are commenting upon it, it is only because their own bad conscience is nagging them, because they know that they should be eating more healthy themselves :-)
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options
    Who are you worried about offending? The person who organizes it? Or the other people? I would simply say if asked, I need to watch my diet because of some health issues and the doctor has told me I cannot eat that. Then bring your own or get something healthy or more to your liking. Make them aware that those food choices are bad for you...
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to eat something that makes you feel unwell. Why not just have some ham - lots of protein - and salad, and skip the Mac & Cheese this time around. Definitely try offering some constructive feedback to the person doing the ordering - "I really enjoy these meetings, but I'm allergic to dairy/wish I could enjoy more of the food/would love if there was more salad. Could you possibly order a bit more salad next time?" It may be too late to change what is ordered for the next meeting, but some of your colleagues might also be suffering from this - casually mention to a few of them that you enjoy having a chance to meet with them all at these lunches, but wish the food options were easier on your stomach. See what sort of feedback you get, and encourage them, if they agree with you, to pass it on to the order-er as well.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just bring your own food and politely decline theirs. I do this a lot. If they say something like "oh eat that for dinner" just make an excuse and say it will go off/gross by the time you eat it for dinner.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude if you want to bring your own lunch or salad instead of what they are serving up. It's your body after all.

If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and have some of that grub & just keep the portions small. :bigsmile: (Of course, if I didn't like it and/or it made me sick, I'd pass.)

I think pot lucks, office lunches, etc should be more than just about food. It should be a time for everyone to relax, get to know one another, socialize, etc. Be sure to be friendly & mingle & maybe that'll deter the food remarks. Maybe. Some folks are just stubborn & they are best ignored.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's your health and waistline. If you don't want it don't eat it and bring your own. If anyone has anything to say about politely inform them that what you eat is your business and you'd appreciate it if they'd drop the subject.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The salad bar is not the best solution, because those industrial salad products are loaded with fat. Just check out salad bar carrot salad on MFP!

A better solution would be to ask the lady in charge for an alternative meal. There might be others who feel the way that you do and if there could be several of you that approach her at the same time, it might be best.

The other solution would be to eat before lunch, and when you get there, have only the ham and the side salad.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I see all these people saying to bring a snack and eat it before lunch, or say you are allergic to certain foods, so basically lie to there face. They're only short term solutions to this problem. Something is going to seem odd that every time someone brings something in, she isn't going to eat it and only have a salad. Same with the allergies, you would have to avoid ham and cheese completely.

If you just say to them that you would prefer to bring your own lunch, pretty sure they would understand if they are mature enough and respect your feelings. What's the worse they can do? Were all adults here and making fun of someone or being rude to someone for making healthier choices is a silly thing to do and just goes to show how mature they really are.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    In their it may be considered rude. But this is NOT about the group it is about you and you living with the decisions what you are eating and I think you should stick to your guns and eat what YOU want to eat. You should be proud of yourself!!!!

What might work better than the salad bar is to bring your own food (and you could suggest brown bag lunches for those who want). You may find there are others who want to do it as well ... who knows.